A good reason.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 07:51 am
Hi. I gathered that once I've sorted my registration out and posted an introduction, I'd begin to discuss some rather serious stuff most of the time. I usually also like to discuss some serious stuff most of the time at school, so I thought it'd be good to talk about something rather pointless for once.

Why are fairytale creatures becoming less and less believable?

Well, why are they? There is actually a few very good reasons.

The society of the developed world has become so engrossed in economics, law, media and social status that it is starting to eliminate the likelyhood of a toothfairy or an ogre settling in to the routine modern life.

I am going to take the example of a Centaur to explain this. As certain nations have developed along with their media and economy, the prejudices and sterotypical images of individuals who live their have also evolved. For example, whereas people living in Britain a while ago would have been assigned to a certain class, such as 'middle class', now people tend to catergorize others into sterotypes created by the media, particularly the internet and print media, as a way of easily grouping their target audiences. Some modern examples of these sterotypes are 'Chavs', 'Pikeys' and 'Emos'.

Anyway, back to the Centaur. Half horse, half human. With our modern, in-built prejudices of how we should treat humans differently to animals, many of us humans would not know how to treat a Centaur. For example, here in Britain we tend to let horses **** all over the road, particularly at Great Yarmouth (which isn't that great), where they do actually have little sort of bag-like nappies for them now but when they turn corners it sometimes doesn't catch properly from what I saw...yuck.

So, would we let a Centaur **** in the road? Or only on weekends from 9 till 5? Sundays only? Or would we have public Centaur toilets? that could make for some interesting scenarios.

Picture, if you will, a Centaur having a crap and reading the news at an outdoor 'Centaur excrement booth', whilst one of his human friends walks past and spots him.

Ceantaur reading newspaper, looking up in astonishment: 'Oh, hi! Yeah, it is you!'
Visitor: 'Yeah, it is, how ya doin?'
'Oh, I'm fine thanks, blimey, I haven't seen you in ages you're looking well man!'
'Oh, thanks, you too, you too. So, errm, hows the kids now?'
'Oh they're just fine, yeah. Well, I mean, you know how it is, they sometimes trot into the house with their dirty hooves, so we've been doing a lot of cleaning, but actually I just throught I'd gallup down hear this morning and pick up a couple of quads of horse-shoes for em. So, what brings you down here anyway?'
'Oh, well, you know, I just came from a job interview. It went down okay I suppose, better then the others....so, anyway, it's been ages, but i'm free right now, do you wanna go down the pub or something, you know, have a couple of pints, just like old times, eh?'
'Errm, I suppose I could...in a minute. You see, I don't know if you noticed, but...I'm sort of having a crap right now.'
'Oh, err, oh, yh, gosh, oh, right, yeah. Errm, that explains why you're all gathered round here stood over buckets...erm, sorry to disturb you, well, yh, I'll just be in the pub over the road when you're finished if you want to have a chat.'
'Oh, yh, sure, I'll see ya then.'
'Okay, see ya in a minute yeah? Bye.'
'Yeah, okay, bye.'

See what I mean?

I'm should probably get on with my English essay instead of writing crap like this, so yeah, anyway, thats my introduction, thanks for reading, cheers.

boagie

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 08:48 am
@bk-thinkaboom,
bk-thinkaboom,Smile

:)welcome to the scattered world of personal opinion, at any rate you have done your duty and are now free to responed to any topic or start a thread of your own. At anyrate, know that you are most welcome here. I am looking forward to some interesting discussions with you.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 06/26/2024 at 05:45:54