Letter from Leibniz

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Pythagorean

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 02:39 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
I would have thought that the sciences often show us that we are often mistaken (I would not say that there was a deception going on, for who would be doing the deceiving?) about surface appearances. Earth does not go round the Sun as it appears. Earth is not flat. Commonsense objects are actually composed of very small particles, atoms, electrons, and the like. And so on. So, don't the sciences tell us that "things are seldom what they seem. Skim milk often masquerades as cream."? (W.S. Gilbert).

Kenneth, when I used the term 'might we be deceived regarding the true nature of reality' I was borrowing the name from Descartes who posited a 'demon' that might be deceiving him. I guess it sounds confusing out of context.

Anyway, after reading your thoughts the next logical question it seems to me is, in light of the types of realities that science discovers and shows to us, what then is reality and nature truly like? How would you propose that someone who is looking for such a truth go about his search?

--Pyth

Fido

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 02:42 pm
@kennethamy,
Reality is hardly an illusion, but more of a Chinese puzzle box, one inside the other, indefinity. It is what it is with another is within. So, we decieve ourselves with notions of truth and frustrate ourselves with our desire for certainty, when what we often have is exactly what we really need, and this is meaning. Can we be forgiven for wanting to know? What do we want to know? Is it not our own value, and our own truth? Is not truth a grasping for the eternal from within the drowning pool of temporality? Are the facts so far from us that we cannot discover them?

Man is but a short time upon the earth and his troubles are many, and then gone forever. What is the sense of that fact? Where is meaning there? But let us learn one true fact and we are of legend made, touched by God and filled with his mighty breadth. I hope you are entertained. I hope you appreciate this journey called life. I hope before you sigh your last word, I hope you save strength for this statement, and know it is true: Life is Grand! And if we are by the hand of God made, then isn't he great. Pity the dead who can no longer gaze through reality as through a kaleidoscope never once the same. Isn't it a shame.

Fido

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 02:54 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean wrote:
Kenneth, when I used the term 'might we be deceived regarding the true nature of reality' I was borrowing the name from Descartes who posited a 'demon' that might be deceiving him. I guess it sounds confusing out of context.

Anyway, after reading your thoughts the next logical question it seems to me is, in light of the types of realities that science discovers and shows to us, what then is reality and nature truly like? How would you propose that someone who is looking for such a truth go about his search?

--Pyth

"What then is reality and nature truly like?

Let me suggest that you are asking of two infinites for a comparison when, since we have but one, we have only none with which to compare.

Pythagorean

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 03:02 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Reality is hardly an illusion, but more of a Chinese puzzle box, one inside the other, indefinity. It is what it is with another is within. So, we decieve ourselves with notions of truth and frustrate ourselves with our desire for certainty, when what we often have is exactly what we really need, and this is meaning.

You may be referring to what John Locke called occult qualities. These 'qualities' were widely accepted by the 'schoolmen' whose teaching Descartes and Locke were struggling against, and who treated the notions of what we now call physics as 'meanings' and whose Aristotelian philosophy was overthrown by the likes of Descartes, Locke and Leibniz. In their respective 'new' philosophies they replaced 'human meanings' regarding nature with concepts of quantifiable measurement and generalized methods of mathematical deduction.

In his letter Leibniz does mention the possibility of 'abstracting' the whole of nature which would leave a man alone in the universe and if we are to believe Descartes, the man would have not even a body. This is the power of the philosophy of pure reason; that it can abstract all save the intelligible foundations in nature.

Leibniz wrote:

Thus what the ancient Platonists have observed is very true, and is very worthy of being considered, that the existence of intelligible things and particularly of the Ego which thinks and which is called spirit or soul, is incomparably more sure than the existence of sensible things; and that thus it would not be impossible, speaking with metaphysical rigor, that there should be at botton only these intelligible substances, and that sensible things should be but appearances. While on the other hand our lack of attention makes us take sensible things for the only true things.

Fido

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 03:48 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean wrote:
You may be referring to what John Locke called occult qualities. These 'qualities' were widely accepted by the 'schoolmen' whose teaching Descartes and Locke were struggling against, and who treated the notions of what we now call physics as 'meanings' and whose Aristotelian philosophy was overthrown by the likes of Descartes, Locke and Leibniz. In their respective 'new' philosophies they replaced 'human meanings' regarding nature with concepts of quantifiable measurement and generalized methods of mathematical deduction.

In his letter Leibniz does mention the possibility of 'abstracting' the whole of nature which would leave a man alone in the universe and if we are to believe Descartes, the man would have not even a body. This is the power of the philosophy of pure reason; that it can abstract all save the intelligible foundations in nature.

I do not argue against regarding nature with concepts of quantifiable measurement and generalized methods of mathematical deduction, but rather argue for them, and at the end understand even them as meanings of a more exacting and rigorous nature.

No concept is exactly true to the reality it attempts to concieve. Each concept exists as a hypothetical statement of what is perceived in reality. Ultimately we only conceive of what we can perceive and what we percieve as having meaning; and we give our greatest attention and detail to that which holds for us the greatest significance, that is meaning. When we think of a thing in reality or try to communicate the thing in reality we cannot think of the whole thing, as this is beyond our grasp, and we cannot give in the form of communication what we cannot grasp, but only what we do grasp, which is the meaning we gather from what is perceived, that is, What we find significant about it.

And I must ask of Locke, having read little of Locke; what he does in the way of measuring concepts of intangibles which are purely of meaning, and to which each person gives their meaning at will?

Do we not already do enough of what Descartes described? Is this not our fate, to so abstract reality that we can no longer live in it? Think of the stupid clown killing those people in the mall: dead and famous. Does fame have a meaning to the dead? Does anything have a meaning to the dead?To think abstraction does not carry a meaning is silly. Its meaning is the meaning all things have; and that is the meaning living people give to them. To try to abstract reality beyond meaning is to value the corpse more than the person. First, this total abstraction cannot be done, but the meaning of anyone trying to do so is frightning. Life is the essential quality in all we see. We see the meaning of ourselves, and of our lives reflected back from all we see of existence. We cannot possibly give to any thing in reality any more meaning than our lives possess.

Pythagorean

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 01:55 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

I do not argue against regarding nature with concepts of quantifiable measurement and generalized methods of mathematical deduction, but rather argue for them, and at the end understand even them as meanings of a more exacting and rigorous nature.

No concept is exactly true to the reality it attempts to concieve. Each concept exists as a hypothetical statement of what is perceived in reality. Ultimately we only conceive of what we can perceive and what we percieve as having meaning; and we give our greatest attention and detail to that which holds for us the greatest significance, that is meaning. When we think of a thing in reality or try to communicate the thing in reality we cannot think of the whole thing, as this is beyond our grasp, and we cannot give in the form of communication what we cannot grasp, but only what we do grasp, which is the meaning we gather from what is perceived, that is, What we find significant about it.

Fido, it is always a pleasure to read your writing, but I think you are personalizing or associating social meanings with what is essentially a quest for the foundations of the universe. You make it like a Greek drama, maybe a tragedy, when it is a journey of discovery of the real at the expense of what is not real or true.

If, as you state, no concept can correspond exactly to the reality which we attempt to convey then what about the success of the physical sciences? It seems that there can be mathematical certainties in respect to the rigorous concepts of the scientist and the realities which he completely and utterly manipulates to the point of reinvention and even mass-marketing. It seems that when science and physics conceives of things it does in fact conceive of whole things and can communicate those things in ultimate and physical terms. What we should, I believe, find significant about what the sciences do is the fact that it is reason that is used in the processes of discovery, invention, and manufacturing etc.

Quote:
And I must ask of Locke, having read little of Locke; what he does in the way of measuring concepts of intangibles which are purely of meaning, and to which each person gives their meaning at will?

I think Locke would immediately point to the fact that most people live in a kind of fog and go through life blinded by emotions and phantoms. He would think it important to seperate that which is real and upon which we can construct true propositions from that which is unfounded dogma or illusory or meaningless. As far as the existential meaning given to states of affairs by individuals file that under religion or poetry or philosophical analysis of beauty (fragments of participation in the metaphysical Forms or Ideas) or political philosophy.

Quote:
Do we not already do enough of what Descartes described? Is this not our fate, to so abstract reality that we can no longer live in it? Think of the stupid clown killing those people in the mall: dead and famous. Does fame have a meaning to the dead? Does anything have a meaning to the dead?To think abstraction does not carry a meaning is silly. Its meaning is the meaning all things have; and that is the meaning living people give to them. To try to abstract reality beyond meaning is to value the corpse more than the person. First, this total abstraction cannot be done, but the meaning of anyone trying to do so is frightning. Life is the essential quality in all we see. We see the meaning of ourselves, and of our lives reflected back from all we see of existence. We cannot possibly give to any thing in reality any more meaning than our lives possess.

The component that seems to be missing here is the historical one. For example, in the not so distant past human beings lived in complete misery and abject poverty and disease. If we witness a massacre today it is still only a hint of what our forefathers lived through on a daily basis. The formulations of the early modern philosophes are in part the reasons that we today live in such modern comfort. Remember it was the ideas of Locke helped shape the Constitution of the United States as well as its Enlightenement heritage.

We are merely too comfortable, in my opinion, to have the ambition to discover higher truths today; but without that sense of enterprise that our forefathers posessed where would we be?

To sum it up I don't think we should be so 'human' as to forego the ultimate quest for the foundations of the universe through science or philosophy or even through political pacts and religious schools. I guess I believe that it is the human mission to learn and that without the drive to ultimate knowledge, then those things which are so meaningful that you point to would not be capable of actuality for us. Without the search for ultimate foundations those meanings wouldn't, couldn't ever take place. I think those types of meanings are dependent upon the necessity of this search for ultimate reality.

Fido

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 04:49 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean wrote:
Fido, it is always a pleasure to read your writing, but I think you are personalizing or associating social meanings with what is essentially a quest for the foundations of the universe. You make it like a Greek drama, maybe a tragedy, when it is a journey of discovery of the real at the expense of what is not real or true.

Geez; is that what we are supposed to be doing here, questing for the foundations? Why not look for the roof as it must certainly be intact? Just kidding; but I do tend to cast philosophy in cosmic terms even if its object seems to be good in our every day lives. I don't have to discover the real because I am real. If I am supposed to be discovering truth well what are the chances of that if, as I agree, that we cannot know the thing in itself. I see true as what concepts can be in relating the reality we experience.
Quote:

If, as you state, no concept can correspond exactly to the reality which we attempt to convey then what about the success of the physical sciences? It seems that there can be mathematical certainties in respect to the rigorous concepts of the scientist and the realities which he completely and utterly manipulates to the point of reinvention and even mass-marketing. It seems that when science and physics conceives of things it does in fact conceive of whole things and can communicate those things in ultimate and physical terms. What we should, I believe, find significant about what the sciences do is the fact that it is reason that is used in the processes of discovery, invention, and manufacturing etc.

Let us discover the success of the physical sciences. Has all the hard won knowledge of humanity stopped any wars, and deaths from pollution, and injustice to this, the last, or future generations? It does not matter if you can tickle the truths out of the most exotic sort of Atom if you cannot grasp that truth has a certain relationship to humanity. Is it truth really, if death springs from its steely jaws, and it consumes us? Let me tell you what truth is even if I cannot tell you the truth of anything. Truth is an entire picture whose meaning and significance are good to humanity beyond doubt. There, I said it: Truth is Good. To know more when we cannot know all, the big picture, the ultimate meaning, and the essense of everything is only more uncertainty bought at the expense of greater insecurity. It is not science, that with numbers can relate everything in an exacting fashion that is the source of truth. Truth comes of meaning. Truth comes with meaning. Truth is meaning, and for truth based upon nature that never lies, we can formulate laws of exacting tolerances; yet without a moral consideration, and a moral truth to equal the physical truth it is only so much horror.

Quote:

I think Locke would immediately point to the fact that most people live in a kind of fog and go through life blinded by emotions and phantoms. He would think it important to seperate that which is real and upon which we can construct true propositions from that which is unfounded dogma or illusory or meaningless. As far as the existential meaning given to states of affairs by individuals file that under religion or poetry or philosophical analysis of beauty (fragments of participation in the metaphysical Forms or Ideas) or political philosophy.

Who is philosophy for? If it is only about practical knowledge of a practiced reality; then have we not had that in abundance? Knowledge has changed all our forms, and yet it has not changed humanity. It has put larger and more deadly weapons in our hands. It has taken us from a people that once feared the largest of animals and made us fear the smallest and simplest. Is that a victory? When the great beasts flee from us and the smallest dance on our graves what shall we celebrate? I swear, I don't mind truth. I know how futile is its pursuit. We turn a page on the book of knowledge and there is another page. The book of knowledge does not end. We end. There is no existential question here, but a moral one. Who is truth for? If we do not learn a certain truth we are doomed, and that truth is this: humanity cannot change, or else it has changed its forms in preference to change. To adapt to the view of truth from science we must die or change. If we cannot make science know the limits all morality puts upon all human activity, then science will destroy us and justify it as the search for truth. Let me live a lie if the truth will kill. How can any truth be so cruel as to kill?

Quote:

The component that seems to be missing here is the historical one. For example, in the not so distant past human beings lived in complete misery and abject poverty and disease. If we witness a massacre today it is still only a hint of what our forefathers lived through on a daily basis. The formulations of the early modern philosophes are in part the reasons that we today live in such modern comfort. Remember it was the ideas of Locke helped shape the Constitution of the United States as well as its Enlightenement heritage.

Do you really believe people suffered massacres on a daily basis? That stuff heralded the arrival of modern warfare, and is uncommon among savages. Savages generally valued their lives enough to not squander them on long odds. Even disease, misery and poverty were not at all common. In fact, in England poverty only became an issue with the closing of the commons, when people who subsisted, deprived of their common law rights were forced to sell their subsistence farms, and become wage labor. I don't want to argue this point And I trust you do not either, as I come from a lot of reading of history and anthropology. I do not know everything, but enough to know.

Quote:

We are merely too comfortable, in my opinion, to have the ambition to discover higher truths today; but without that sense of enterprise that our forefathers posessed where would we be?

To sum it up I don't think we should be so 'human' as to forego the ultimate quest for the foundations of the universe through science or philosophy or even through political pacts and religious schools. I guess I believe that it is the human mission to learn and that without the drive to ultimate knowledge, then those things which are so meaningful that you point to would not be capable of actuality for us. Without the search for ultimate foundations those meanings wouldn't, couldn't ever take place. I think those types of meanings are dependent upon the necessity of this search for ultimate reality.

Why are you looking if you are comfortable? The fact is that philosophy has failed humanity. I mean the science part, and the reasoning part; sure, great progress. But the moral end is sadly lacking. No less for them as for us, desperation is the mother of invention. Are we not desperate today. Why do so many go to church and yet not all? Some recognize its failure, but many are driven into a form of the past, and a wishing and a dreaming to capture a past where life was actually kinder. Our ancient fore fathers lived just as us. Perhaps not so long, and many died near birth. War and feuds took them, but society carried on. And they lived, not working more, but less, without retirement plan, but supported, free always, brave always, and just, out of necessity. How is it that with all the labor saving high technology -do we work more and longer than savages did? They could only work while the sun shined. We work around the clock.

Now, as far as your conclusion, think of this. Science has the easy part of philosophy. It can easily check its concepts against the logic of nature. But what part of our concepts deal with physical reality? Few is my guess. What we find difficult to judge is the infinite varability and uncertainty of humans. It is to judge the mine field of conflicting human relationships. It is for moral truths where no scientific instrament of the finest precission has a use that we must search. Science without morals is purely deadly. We must rein it in or suffer it continually.

GridLok

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 07:42 pm
@Fido,
Hi Fido, Pythagorean may I join in? I do not pretend to have read all the posts thus far - I hope and expect to do so ere long. I have however read Pythagorean's original posting of Liebnitz's letter, and the last two posts in this thread; one from each of you.
Very Happy

Pythagorean

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 08:17 am
@GridLok,
Please, GridLoK, come on in and participate in the discussion.
Smile

boagie

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 08:25 am
@GridLok,
Great thread Pythagorean!!Smile

Fido,:confused:

Smile It seems Fido you would have humanity justify its curiousity to some imagined moral code, which could not even be possiable in the absence of the missing pieces of knowledge curiousity demands. I think this is a different question altogether, and speaks out of fear. If it were possiable to obtain knowledge that was not of objects relations to our own biology, but simply about object, we would be looking at our own divinity. Those who are to fearful to look over the garden wall, perhaps contemplating the great abyss, can claim to themselves nothing but the abyss, the quest is not really a choice for humanity, rather an expression of its nature, as the consciousness of the earth.

Apparent reality is entirely egocentric -------boagie:eek:

Fido

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 08:26 am
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean wrote:
Please, GridLoK, come on in and participate in the discussion.
Smile

They sure is polite in Australia. I never wait for an invite to come in and I never leave without a get the hell out.

Fido

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 08:50 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Great thread Pythagorean!!

Fido,

Smile It seems Fido would have humanity justify its curiousity to some imagined moral code, which could not even be possiable in the absence of the missing pieces of knowledge curiousity demands. I think this is a different question altogether, and speaks out of fear. If it were possiable to obtain knowledge that was not of objects relations to our own biology, but simply about object, we would be looking at our own divinity. Those who are to fearful to look over the garden wall, perhaps contemplating the great abyss, can claim to themselves nothing but the abyss, the quest is not really a choice of humanity, rather an expression of its nature, as the consciousness of earth.

If you think I am fearful of the possible anti-human uses technology and knowledge can be put to; well yes. Technology has not made us less slave or more master of our passions. Is it ever going to be complete until it does? Since we cannot find truth in any single instance of looking, and cannot ever discover the thing in itself, the best we can do is do no harm. We want to explain our world, and understand our world. In that we already know enough to rule this planet. What we need is to explain ourselves, and understand humanity. Because one half of philosophy has an easy task does not mean it should leave the other to toil. Scientist should be turned to the moral, rather than the physical problems they attack. As it stands, the need for war, and for advantage in war drives a great deal of scientific research. Does anyone presume that the unmet moral and psychological needs of humanity will not drive more to war? Look at the example of the primitive Native American. Was he not driven into a balance with his environment because of his lack of technology? Why do we presume a technological answer awaits to justify our imbalance with our environment when it is precisely our technology that is driving our environmental imbalance?

The moral science has not kept pace with the physical science. That should be clear. Now, is the answer more energy into the physical sciences? It had a down hill run. Give it a break. I want something other than the obvious victory we can hand to science. I want justice, understanding, freedom, and equality to flow out of the well of science. Is that too much to ask? If it is not good for all it is not good.

boagie

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 09:48 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
If you think I am fearful of the possible anti-human uses technology and knowledge can be put to; well yes. Technology has not made us less slave or more master of our passions. Is it ever going to be complete until it does? Since we cannot find truth in any single instance of looking, and cannot ever discover the thing in itself, the best we can do is do no harm. We want to explain our world, and understand our world. In that we already know enough to rule this planet. What we need is to explain ourselves, and understand humanity. Because one half of philosophy has an easy task does not mean it should leave the other to toil. Scientist should be turned to the moral, rather than the physical problems they attack. As it stands, the need for war, and for advantage in war drives a great deal of scientific research. Does anyone presume that the unmet moral and psychological needs of humanity will not drive more to war? Look at the example of the primitive Native American. Was he not driven into a balance with his environment because of his lack of technology? Why do we presume a technological answer awaits to justify our imbalance with our environment when it is precisely our technology that is driving our environmental imbalance?

The moral science has not kept pace with the physical science. That should be clear. Now, is the answer more energy into the physical sciences? It had a down hill run. Give it a break. I want something other than the obvious victory we can hand to science. I want justice, understanding, freedom, and equality to flow out of the well of science. Is that too much to ask? If it is not good for all it is not good.

Fido,Smile

Smile If I did not have some sympathy for your concerns here I would be less than human. One must remember in desireing the creation of a new morality that it would of necessity be a product of humanity itself. We must understand and be content with what we are, for this morality you speak of, would limit further expansion of defination------at present humanity is a relatively open concept.

Smile Actually a system of morality does not guarantee a rational way of life, this is a christian country largely [north america] is this a rational way of life? Morality more often becomes simply invested in preventing change and/or progress, in this way it is anti-life, anti-reality, for as has often been said, the only thing certain is change. Then again, there has never been a morality system based on a rational perspective. Actually a certain idea of what humanity is, I would think, is a morality, what we cannot afford is a closed concept of what humanity is. The concept is changed as we learn more about ourselves and our world, understanding must shape the morality we build for ourselves, to embrace ignorance and make it sacred, is to fall back into that old time religion---been there done that, time to move on. Knowledge I would say must bare the same relation to morality, as does a subject to its object, take either away, and the other ceases to exist. Morality can never be more than a process relative to that process which is life, and all meaning, all value belongs to life, not its object.

Pythagorean

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 11:16 am
@boagie,
Fido, Boagie,

It seems to me that a large portion of humanity may not be innately capable of understanding the nature of 'the good'. If told that such a quality existed and was worthwhile to pursue and to understand they would just stare at you and blink uncomprehendingly. They would even tell you that whatever evil they were engaged in was itself 'the good' as they see it. So we need to torture these people in order to get them to conform to the real 'good', right? The lowest common denominator seems to win in the long run. The only way to control human morality is to win over their emotions with a sad story or some other form of fiction such as supernatural intervention and revelation. Like bribing a child to be good so that he will get good gifts on Christmas morning or giving him money for studying his catechisms.

Human nature is largely mired in the shroud of its savage animal ancestry, which is blinded by emotions and instincts and cannot overcome them to reach a point of reasoning that could discern good behaviour from wickedness. Only in the minds of the reasonable can emotions and impulses become objectified to some extent and ordered into some kind of harmony.

But passion always rules over reason and poetry becomes once again the legislator of human kind. And philosophy becomes relegated again to its confines while the physical sciences is exploited by the greedy and those seeking political power. This is already a very old story.

Pythagorean

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 07:36 am
@Pythagorean,
I would just like to add some perspective here and hope that I can do so clearly:

Philosophers who believe in a priori knowledge generally do not insist upon the technical transformation of reality. They do not necessarily call for the creation of virtual realiy environments from which we may correctly or absolutely interpret the natural world from.

What they tend to believe in is what is called philsophical/metaphysical realism. That is simply belief in universals. And the belief that universals are the ultimate constituents of reality and that what we take to be reality in its empirical everyday manifestation is in part an illusion of particularity.

They say that reality consists of intelligible forms or principles and that it is by these principles that we come to know things.

For example, a particular object that we encounter must be classified into an orderly and knowable category if we are to posess knowledge of it. So that knowledge is logically prior to the empirical things. And things can be classified into universals and we can know of universals without having to encounter every single particular of its kind. This is what is meant by realism, that universals exist independently and somehow prior to this world.

In this way terms such as virtue or moral aspects of human life can also be fitted into a metaphysical scheme. As Plato has hypothesized: there can be a term "piety" for example, of which all individual pious actions take part in.

The important things to note here, I think, is that the universals are not hard empirical objects, but are known only by intellectual means; they are considered "intelligible" and not physical in nature.

Smile

Fido

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 12:52 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean wrote:
I would just like to add some perspective here and hope that I can do so clearly:

Philosophers who believe in a priori knowledge generally do not insist upon the technical transformation of reality. They do not necessarily call for the creation of virtual realiy environments from which we may correctly or absolutely interpret the natural world from.

What they tend to believe in is what is called philsophical/metaphysical realism. That is simply belief in universals. And the belief that universals are the ultimate constituents of reality and that what we take to be reality in its empirical everyday manifestation is in part an illusion of particularity.

They say that reality consists of intelligible forms or principles and that it is by these principles that we come to know things.

For example, a particular object that we encounter must be classified into an orderly and knowable category if we are to posess knowledge of it. So that knowledge is logically prior to the empirical things. And things can be classified into universals and we can know of universals without having to encounter every single particular of its kind. This is what is meant by realism, that universals exist independently and somehow prior to this world.

In this way terms such as virtue or moral aspects of human life can also be fitted into a metaphysical scheme. As Plato has hypothesized: there can be a term "piety" for example, of which all individual pious actions take part in.

The important things to note here, I think, is that the universals are not hard empirical objects, but are known only by intellectual means; they are considered "intelligible" and not physical in nature.

Smile

All concepts are universals, and we learn by concepts, first because we are told, and latter because we begin to conceptualize what we learn. Piaget talked about this process for children who must learn at some point that not all four legged animals with tails are dogs, for some are cows and others cats. We have the ability to recognize patterns, and concepts, like reality are built of patterns. What is a pattern applied to a box? Answers to a set of questions. Weight, size, shape, color, empty or full. Children in exploring their worlds are scientists and working for the most part with the dull tools of a sharper science. Does it help? Can we really know from universals.

I think we know in the form of universals and can actually know little from them. Let me see if I can put this in perspective. Most of the words in the dictionary qualify as concepts. They have a name and a definition and they point to an objective reality. That is how we get most of our universals. No one has actually looked at all of any kind of thing to acertain that it is what it is, and neither do we. We pick up the concepts of the last generation as they did in their day and carry on. We trust that they are generally true. We may check one or two. Mostly it is trust that is reenforced because it explains reality.

So, we cannot know what we take on faith, and yet when we apply what we know to a new experience we can learn more because we are not starting fresh, but adding to our dictionary of knowledge. To know from concepts, we must test their conformity to reality. The more of our concepts we test out the more certain we can become in regard to the rest. If you agree that the truth is a certain meaning then we must be certain to claim for any concept that it is true. True is a meaning. Truth is what we know. No one really knows what is untrue, and if a fact is untrue, it is not known, but only believed. For the most part our concepts are believed true because no one in one life time has the time to test out a fraction of them. And if one could then everyone else would still have to take them on faith.

Fido

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 04:53 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean wrote:
Fido, Boagie,

It seems to me that a large portion of humanity may not be innately capable of understanding the nature of 'the good'. If told that such a quality existed and was worthwhile to pursue and to understand they would just stare at you and blink uncomprehendingly. They would even tell you that whatever evil they were engaged in was itself 'the good' as they see it. So we need to torture these people in order to get them to conform to the real 'good', right? The lowest common denominator seems to win in the long run. The only way to control human morality is to win over their emotions with a sad story or some other form of fiction such as supernatural intervention and revelation. Like bribing a child to be good so that he will get good gifts on Christmas morning or giving him money for studying his catechisms.

On the contrary. No one person can tell a another what is better for him than he himself. This is why democracy brought us out of an animals state; because it spread reason far and wide. Humanity survived as democracy, democracy was each person disolving his personal good in the good of the whole. Each man knows well enough what is good, and each man knows what good he has, and no one defends a good they do not know, but run. Democracy demands a common defense, and the best defense of democracy comes of justice and equality. People always strive for these forms of relationship, even if they settle for less. This is the common good.
Quote:

Human nature is largely mired in the shroud of its savage animal ancestry, which is blinded by emotions and instincts and cannot overcome them to reach a point of reasoning that could discern good behaviour from wickedness. Only in the minds of the reasonable can emotions and impulses become objectified to some extent and ordered into some kind of harmony.
If I may say so you are all too melodramatic for being wrong. People have always been people, good and bad. They played out their vanity in a different fashion from ourselves. They had different forms of relationship, and less technology. But it was in spite of less of everything that they survived, and they survived because, for the most part, they lived very restrained lives. People bought peace with promises and kept them. People traded daughters for peace treaties. If what you say is true of modern men, blinded by emotions; let me assure you that they were as cold as ice on anything which stirred their emotions. What could be hotter than hate, or boil better than revenge. They waited for revenge, and never acted in hot haste if not surrounded by it. The Church was so successful in injecting itself into the lives of people because they were already so constrained in their behavior by ethical reckonings. Primites better than us have always felt the need for social control. We think we can live without it. We are wrong. As Aristotle said of communities in his day is true yet: that every community is established with a view to some good.
Quote:

But passion always rules over reason and poetry becomes once again the legislator of human kind. And philosophy becomes relegated again to its confines while the physical sciences is exploited by the greedy and those seeking political power. This is already a very old story.

Get out of town lee roy. Does your momma know you been drinkin. Nobody relagate philosophy no where but to the basement in my house; and only because I am out numbered. I am not going further underground and I advise you not to either. Philosophy be what people do. It can never get captured by the enemy. It does not serve masters even if it does talk to their feet. Rather, where it succeeds it persists. Truth finds the path of least resistence just like water. Sooner or later it all reaches the same sea.

GridLok

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 07:25 pm
@Fido,
Wow, fellas, words are flowing thick and fast here! Don't know if I'll be able to get back and read all of the preceding posts - so please excuse me if I traipse over old ground without realising.

Maybe I could start by considering, as best I can, what appear to me as some fundamental issues (and hopefully avoid 'fundamentalist' statements in the process!).

Plato, as I recall, suggested that we think of our knowledge of the Forms (the idealised Esse or Truth of existences), as being akin to shadows cast on a wall at the back of a cave, by objects moving across the mouth of the cave, illuminated by the divine light from beyond the cave. Humanity, confined to the depths of the cave, and unable to observe directly these 'true forms' or 'universals', is constrained to trying to derive their understanding from the imprecise and flawed exemplars of which they are sensible. It is a limited analogy, and I am not sufficiently familiar with the full extent of Plato's writing to venture any detailed commentary. However Pythagorean is, as I recall, correct in pointing out that Plato held that, the 'universals' while inaccessible to human senses, were 'intelligible' - that is to say appreciable to the human intellect. Further, that knowledge of the universals existed, a priori, in the human mind and that, this could be demonstrated by the Socratic elenchic: A process by which an interlocutor could, through carefully framed questions, lead a subject to awareness of principles and elements of knowledge (particularly in logic,philosophy & mathematics), that they had not previously had, and of which they were not directly instructed.

Put very bluntly, the Platonic premises do not, I think, withstand close scrutiny in the light of current awareness. Consider: Plato, in the Meno, has Socrates asserting that " all learning is recollection. He bases this on the idea that the human soul is immortal and having seen all things that exist, whether in this world or in the higher world, has knowledge of everything." <http://www.hermes-press.com/dialogues_teach.htm>. There are a number of premises adopted in the construction by Plato, of this (and the other) dialogues:
  • The existence and nature of the human 'soul'

• the soul's relationship to hypotheses about a postulated afterlife

• the process whereby the human organism develops - specifically the relationship between the biological and behavioural aspects

and so I could go on, about matters seminal to consideration of the overt aspects of Plato's platitudes.

Yet I agree with Norman D. Livergood: Through Plato's genius for constructing dialogues,"we gain an understanding of fundamental concepts by bringing [them] into dialectical juxtaposition". But the elenchus of Socrates requires that all matters be open to question, review, analysis, that in matters of human understanding, no authority is beyond challenge … not even Plato/Socrates. And the point is not to diminish or destroy, but to enlarge and strengthen human understanding, for it is I suggest, only in the fullest understanding that can be any hope of wisdom and sustainable claims to truth. It is for this reason that I urge the pursuit of Philantilipsy (philos - to love or be a friend of; antilipsis - understanding)over Philosophy.

Smile

Fido

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 07:01 am
@GridLok,
GridLok wrote:
Wow, fellas, words are flowing thick and fast here! Don't know if I'll be able to get back and read all of the preceding posts - so please excuse me if I traipse over old ground without realising.

Maybe I could start by considering, as best I can, what appear to me as some fundamental issues (and hopefully avoid 'fundamentalist' statements in the process!).

Plato, as I recall, suggested that we think of our knowledge of the Forms (the idealised Esse or Truth of existences), as being akin to shadows cast on a wall at the back of a cave, by objects moving across the mouth of the cave, illuminated by the divine light from beyond the cave. Humanity, confined to the depths of the cave, and unable to observe directly these 'true forms' or 'universals', is constrained to trying to derive their understanding from the imprecise and flawed exemplars of which they are sensible. It is a limited analogy, and I am not sufficiently familiar with the full extent of Plato's writing to venture any detailed commentary. However Pythagorean is, as I recall, correct in pointing out that Plato held that, the 'universals' while inaccessible to human senses, were 'intelligible' - that is to say appreciable to the human intellect. Further, that knowledge of the universals existed, a priori, in the human mind and that, this could be demonstrated by the Socratic elenchic: A process by which an interlocutor could, through carefully framed questions, lead a subject to awareness of principles and elements of knowledge (particularly in logic,philosophy & mathematics), that they had not previously had, and of which they were not directly instructed.

Put very bluntly, the Platonic premises do not, I think, withstand close scrutiny in the light of current awareness. Consider: Plato, in the Meno, has Socrates asserting that " all learning is recollection. He bases this on the idea that the human soul is immortal and having seen all things that exist, whether in this world or in the higher world, has knowledge of everything." <http://www.hermes-press.com/dialogues_teach.htm>. There are a number of premises adopted in the construction by Plato, of this (and the other) dialogues:
  • The existence and nature of the human 'soul'
  • the soul's relationship to hypotheses about a postulated afterlife
  • the process whereby the human organism develops - specifically the relationship between the biological and behavioural aspects
and so I could go on, about matters seminal to consideration of the overt aspects of Plato's platitudes.

Yet I agree with Norman D. Livergood: Through Plato's genius for constructing dialogues,"we gain an understanding of fundamental concepts by bringing [them] into dialectical juxtaposition". But the elenchus of Socrates requires that allIt is for this reason that I urge the pursuit of Philantilipsy (philos - to love or be a friend of; antilipsis - understanding)over Philosophy.

Smile

Thank you, and let me make two comments please. First, from my experience, understanding is not something that can be pursued. It is a quality of mind that some people have, like the ability to play music, or paint. Understanding is an art given first to natural talent, and I can see where some have it, and have it at an early age while others do not and never will. What part of understanding is a sympathy for life and a sense of the terrible stuggle of life I cannot say. I can say it is not in books alone for very few books should give to all a sense of the fatal tragedy we call our lives, but from which people only take dry facts and figures, and the statistics of a corpse.

Second, when you consider Plato's allegory of the cave, you should recall that for the most part that cave is portable, and people seek it out and are not constrained to be there. Yet, for all, the problem is the same. We are not given enough in the way of senses, so that our senses alone, even when magnified do not give a grasp of the total picture of reality -and of our condition in it- so that understanding becomes possible for all. Where philosophy succeeds it persists and that is why we give such energy to finding the truth behind every truth in a structured, rational fashion and cannot be content with less. Why this? Do we not know enough in knowing less than all to proceed with happy, fulfilled, and Just lives? The thorny problem of philosophy has never been: What can we Know. But has always been: what shall we do with our knowledge. It takes a certain incommunicatable understanding to weigh intangibles. How many words do we have that point only to states of mind or being without a firm reality to associate with them? Plenty is my guess. We give meaning to much without being, but it is What Quality of meaning we give to intangibles like Justice, virtue, peace, ethics which will make our future as surely as our next great weapon born of cold and heartless calculation.

We presume we have a quality called wisdom. How is that defined apart from knowledge? We have knowledge apart from wisdom, do we not? Is it possible to do the deed from the other end; to pull wisdom out of its context of truth and knowledge? Wisdom knows what knowledge cannot know. Wisdom knows what knowledge is essential to humans, and what can only benefit a few. There is a line drawn between all educated people, and on one side of that line are those that know knowledge is Virtue, and on the other side are the people who consider it to be power, or any other wish beyond their wildest dreams of avarice. The problem is that knowledge serves better the base than the kind.

I think in the end that if one wants understanding the best first course is self pity. I would have no man deny pity as Nietzsche would seem to. Rather, it is those who deny themselves who are always the best at denying others. Think for a moment of this momentous thing called life with which so much is given and everything taken. Is your life not worth some tears? What then compared to this is the suffering of a God whose eternal life is assured? Did Jesus die? Did Promethieus die? We die, but only die to the extent that humanity dies, and every knowledge that does not add to the security and promise of eternal life for humanity does nothing for me but make my death more meaningless and futile. Peace.

Pythagorean

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 01:09 pm
@Fido,
When we look out at the immensity and diversity of the natural world we can identify most of the things and processes that we see there. We are not, therefore left to guess and play hit or miss with our sense of a mystical play. We are not so confused at what is clear and naturally present because we are in posession of some knowledge. This, I will claim, is a good thing in the ultimate sense of 'the good'.

There may be a 'good' that human beings across history down through time immemorial could achieve as a kind of sense of great inner-joy and over-flowing pleasure which could even be described as divine. But this innate sense of 'the good' is now added to even moreso by the state of the art in scientific knowledge and information regarding the natural world. The world is given to us on a modern platter and this amplifies and stimulates the sense of gratitude that once was reserved untill before eating meals with a thanking of goodness.

Knowledge is good in itself. It is a healthy pair of eyes on a clear summer day. It frees and liberates humanity. It should not be taken for granted.

The question of the nature of knowledge is a question that is like the posession of knowledge itself. It is seeking for a great crystal unity which like knowing what things are, is also a kind of good. To ask such a question is an exercise in healthy thinking.

Now the rationalist answer to the question of the nature of knowledge: i.e. that knowledge is generated from within; is perhaps not so far removed from the opponents of rationalism who propose an alternate solution in the sense that both questions aim at some good witch is the solution to a question which perplelxes the mind as to what is its nature. It's like that Star Trek show where the machine becomes intelligent and seeks out its maker: we all seek for god, we all seek to know, we all seek for love that will make us complete and happy. And that is what the quest for knowledge is at bottom: a desire to remove some blemishes from the mind's eye to behold a beauty and wholeness of the self, the world, the cosmos and humanity's place as well as to salve its discord: we want to go home to a clear summer's day.

--

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:37:28