This sentence is false.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 11:27 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;166531 wrote:
Yes, the only way I see it being meaningful, is if it refers to a proposition contained in another sentence.

For instance,

If a person pointed to the sentence "The chemical composition of water is H2O" and said, "This sentence is true". Of course, we would translate "this sentence" into "the proposition being made in that sentence".

Sigh! Yes, if only the rest of the world saw things as do you, and fast, and I! The whole business seems to me to be one of those cases Berkeley's apothegm applies to so well: "Philosophers raise the dust, and then complain they cannot see". Aetiology shows!

Zetherin

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 11:43 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;166534 wrote:
Sigh! Yes, if only the rest of the world saw things as do you, and fast, and I! The whole business seems to me to be one of those cases Berkeley's apothegm applies to so well: "Philosophers raise the dust, and then complain they cannot see". Aetiology shows!

Yes, but the confusion ensued when you began focusing on not knowing what was meant by "this sentence". It wasn't that you didn't know which sentence was being referred to, it was that you did not see a proposition contained within that sentence. And this is what you did not make clear to Night Ripper.

Hopefully he understands now why his example (This sentence has five words) is not analagous to the example in question (This sentence is false).

kennethamy

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 12:33 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;166538 wrote:
Yes, but the confusion ensued when you began focusing on not knowing what was meant by "this sentence". It wasn't that you didn't know which sentence was being referred to, it was that you did not see a proposition contained within that sentence. And this is what you did not make clear to Night Ripper.

Hopefully he understands now why his example (This sentence has five words) is not analagous to the example in question (This sentence is false).

Not knowing what is meant by the sentence is quite different from not knowing which sentence was being referred to. Naturally, I supposed the sentence referred to was, "this sentence has five words". Was there any other sentence around? But did I know what that sentence meant. I did not. The confusion between reference and meaning, The bane of the philosophy of language.

Hopefully he understands now why his example (This sentence has five words) is not analagous to the example in question (This sentence is false)

I would not bet on it. He seems to think that sort of thing is pedantic.

ughaibu

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 01:17 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;166522 wrote:
the problem with "This sentence is false", is, I think, that we do not attribute the properties true or false to sentences. We attribute the properties true or false to propositions.
Are "true" and "false" properties? If I remember correctly, you're a realist about abstract objects, including propositions, are you suggesting that false propositions exist?

kennethamy

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 02:29 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;166559 wrote:
Are "true" and "false" properties? If I remember correctly, you're a realist about abstract objects, including propositions, are you suggesting that false propositions exist?

They had better, since true propositions exist, and the negation of a true proposition is a false proposition. (Unless you are suggesting that negations don't exist, of course).

Emil

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 02:33 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;166522 wrote:
It could be in reference to another sentence, and it could not refer at all, but I think we have good reason to believe it does refer and that it does refer to the sentence in which "this sentence" is present. A good reason would be, among many, that in this particular paradox, that is the assumption that is to be made. Another good reason is that it is common in language when we use the phrase "this X" to refer to the thing in which the phrase is in, or related to (I am not claiming that this is always the case, but think of other examples, like, for instance, "I did X, and all I got was this lousy t-shirt"). And I think you know this, since you said it was clear what sentence he was referring to.

In the example, "There are seven words in this sentence", I am inclined to believe that there is a proposition being made. First, as noted, yes, I think it is reasonable to assume that "this sentence" refers to the sentence in which the phrase is in. And it seems to me that it is either true or false that a sentence has seven words; there is meaning here.

However, the problem with "This sentence is false", is, I think, that we do not attribute the properties true or false to sentences. We attribute the properties true or false to propositions. So, I do not think a proposition is being made, and I'm not sure the sentence is meaningful.

Lots of people attribute truth/falsity to sentences. If you don't, then you are some kind of non-sentence theorist. In your case, a monistic proposition theorist (= all things that are true/false are propositions).

Fast is a pluralist proposition theorist (= propositions are the basic truth carriers but some sentences are also true/false).

I don't know about Ken. Sometimes what he writes makes one believe that he is a monist proposition theorist, but other times he talks about true beliefs and true sentences indicating that he thinks they are sometimes truth carriers as well (i.e. some pluralist theorist), or maybe only as a shorthand (so they are not really true, but it is easier to talk as if they were, similar to evolution when we talk about what nature selects for.)

I'm just undecided! Smile Though definitely not a monist sentence theorist.

Besides, careful with "meaningful" and "cognitively meaningful". The sentence is meaningful; it makes sense; it is understandable by a person that speaks the english language. "Cognitively meaningful" is a term used for at least two things. By monist sentence theorists (and pluralists that include some sentences as truth carriers) it is used to mean is true/false; has a truth value. By monist proposition theorists it it is used to mean expresses a proposition. There is a slight difference here but an important one in this context.

---------- Post added 05-21-2010 at 10:47 AM ----------

Night Ripper;166451 wrote:

No, Zetherin wrote, "Since you're not claiming that you do not know which sentence 'this sentence' refers to". Emphasis mine. You left out a "not".

I see. My bad. :brickwall:

---------- Post added 05-21-2010 at 10:48 AM ----------

Zetherin;166538 wrote:

Propositions are not contained in sentences. They are expressed by them. I think the sentences are analogous, by the way.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 02:51 am
@Gnostic,
Emil wrote:
Lots of people attribute truth/falsity to sentences. If you don't, then you are some kind of non-sentence theorist. In your case, a monistic proposition theorist (= all things that are true/false are propositions).

Fast is a pluralist proposition theorist (= propositions are the basic truth carriers but some sentences are also true/false).

I don't know about Ken. Sometimes what he writes makes one believe that he is a monist proposition theorist, but other times he talks about true beliefs and true sentences indicating that he thinks they are sometimes truth carriers as well (i.e. some pluralist theorist), or maybe only as a shorthand (so they are not really true, but it is easier to talk as if they were, similar to evolution when we talk about what nature selects for.)

Yes, I believe that only propositions can be true or false. If I were to say, "That sentence was true", I would be referring to a proposition expressed by that sentence. For what are we saying is true or false, if there was no proposition? Would you say that an elephant is true or false, or that my cup is true or false? No, true and false aren't properties we assign to cups or elephants. And I don't think they are properties to be assigned to sentences. "This sentence is false" begs the question - just what is false?

Quote:
Propositions are not contained in sentences. They are expressed by them. I think the sentences are analogous, by the way.

I thought you may point that out. Expressed by them, then. I was searching for a good word. "Expressed" is better, thanks.

ughaibu

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 02:55 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;166569 wrote:
They had better, since true propositions exist, and the negation of a true proposition is a false proposition. (Unless you are suggesting that negations don't exist, of course).
Just to be clear, apart from the abstract object which is the proposition 1+1=2, you claim that there exist an, at least, countable infinity of abstract objects which are propositions of the form 1+1=x, where x=/=2?

Emil

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:36 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;166778 wrote:
Just to be clear, apart from the abstract object which is the proposition 1+1=2, you claim that there exist an, at least, countable infinity of abstract objects which are propositions of the form 1+1=x, where x=/=2?

I believe that, yes. Except for the word "countable" I don't know what means here.

---------- Post added 05-21-2010 at 11:38 AM ----------

Zetherin;166777 wrote:
Yes, I believe that only propositions can be true or false. If I were to say, "That sentence was true", I would be referring to a proposition expressed by that sentence. For what are we saying is true or false, if there was no proposition? Would you say that an elephant is true or false, or that my cup is true or false? No, true and false aren't properties we assign to cups or elephants. And I don't think they are properties to be assigned to sentences. "This sentence is false" begs the question - just what is false?

I thought you may point that out. Expressed by them, then. I was searching for a good word. "Expressed" is better, thanks.

If you are talking about a proposition expressed by a sentence, you shouldn't write "this sentence". You should write what you mean to avoid confusion. Shorthands can be very confusing in philosophy. I often avoid them for clarity.

ughaibu

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:45 am
@Emil,
Emil;166784 wrote:
I believe that, yes.
Well, I certainly hope that Kennethamy doesn't, as such assertions are fictions, and he's devoted several weeks to denying the existence of fictional objects.

Emil

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 05:01 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;166787 wrote:
Well, I certainly hope that Kennethamy doesn't, as such assertions are fictions, and he's devoted several weeks to denying the existence of fictional objects.

Maybe they are. But I find it too hard to make sense of things without lots of abstract objects. It feels wrong but other solutions doesn't work AFAIK.

"Although I generally prefer negative theories - those which posit as few unempirical concepts* as possible - my own leanings in this
particular case are toward Realism. My attraction to the theory is bolstered by one further consideration: I can see no way to account for the existence of certain items, e.g. pieces of music, plays, and novels, other than by conceiving of them as abstract entities. Here I am considerably influenced by the arguments of C.E.M. Joad (1891-1953).
Joad argued ([105], 267-70) that the play Hamlet, for example, could not reasonably be identified with any particular in the world: neither with an idea in Shakespeare 's mind, nor with any manuscript he wrote, nor with any printed edition of the text, nor with any particular production, nor with any audio or video recording of any particular production. For Hamlet could exist even if any one or several of these were not to exist. While Joad, himself, rightly expressed some diffidence about his own arguments, I think that they add considerable impetus to a theory which would posit abstract entities.

Although I am a Realist, I am a reluctant Realist. For, to be frank, there is something exceedingly peculiar about positing entities which exist (subsist) outside of space and time. I, personally, would prefer a theory which could dispense with such mysterious entities. But I find the problems inherent in the various anti-Realist theories even more troubling. Realism is simply the better, in my estimation, of the available theories. But, like many other Realists, I do not much care for Realism. Recently one of my colleagues professed his repudiation of Realism by saying that he found the positing of abstract entities " unintelligible ". I share his displeasure. But I find myself unable to adopt his own anti-Realist position because I cannot in turn believe that the anti-Realist theories provide any better answer or that they can be developed without themselves having to posit at least some abstract entities."
Norman Swartz, Beyond Experience, pp. 270-272, available online for free.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 05:09 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;166787 wrote:

I don't understand? How can an assertion be a fiction? And, what assertions do you refer to?

I think that Mickey Mouse is a cartoon character, so it follows that something is a cartoon character. So, am I denying the existence of fictional objects. Let me know, please.

Emil

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 05:47 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;166803 wrote:
I don't understand? How can an assertion be a fiction? And, what assertions do you refer to?

I think that Mickey Mouse is a cartoon character, so it follows that something is a cartoon character. So, am I denying the existence of fictional objects. Let me know, please.

Maybe he meant "fictious" as in some poetic way of saying false, that is, false assertions.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 06:09 am
@Emil,
Emil;166811 wrote:
Maybe he meant "fictious" as in some poetic way of saying false, that is, false assertions.

Another ughaibu mystery. I hope that truth will be the daughter of time.

---------- Post added 05-21-2010 at 08:20 AM ----------

Emil;166801 wrote:
Here I am considerably influenced by the arguments of C.E.M. Joad (1891-1953).
Joad argued ([105], 267-70) that the play Hamlet, for example, could not reasonably be identified with any particular in the world: neither with an idea in Shakespeare 's mind, nor with any manuscript he wrote, nor with any printed edition of the text, nor with any particular production, nor with any audio or video recording of any particular production. For Hamlet could exist even if any one or several of these were not to exist. While Joad, himself, rightly expressed some diffidence about his own arguments, I think that they add considerable impetus to a theory which would posit abstract entities.

How does it follow that because the play, "Hamlet" cannot be identified with any one particular, and it cannot be identified with some set of particulars, although not any particular particular? It may be that you cannot be identified with the fact that you are a student because you might exist even if you were not a student, but that does not mean that you would exist if you had no particular characteristics.

Night Ripper

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 06:48 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;166531 wrote:
If a person pointed to the sentence "The chemical composition of water is H2O" and said, "This sentence is true". Of course, we would translate "this sentence" into "the proposition being made in that sentence".

That's because you have been provided context for a different meaning of the word "this". Maybe you've already seen where fast and I discussed this exact same argument. You could remove the ambiguity by simply using "that" instead of "this", which is more proper anyways. Also, this only applies to ambiguous situations in the first place. Would you give up usage of the word "it" simply because it can be ambiguous? If I say "this sentence is false" there is no ambiguity because there is no additional context such as in the water sentence example.

I also fail to see how "this sentence has five words" is not analogous to "this sentence is false". In the former case, "this sentence" refers to itself and makes sense.

ughaibu

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 06:50 am
@Emil,
Emil;166811 wrote:
I meant what I wrote. I know that 1+1=2, it's a fact that 1+1=2, whereas it's a fiction that 1+1=stilton.
Thanks for the Swartz quote. Personally, I have almost no sympathy for realism about abstract objects, it strikes me as an example of the worst kind of supernaturalism. However, as with other forms of supernaturalism, I can see its psychological appeal, but only if it serves some purpose and I dont even see any purpose at present. For example, if there's a problem of what makes 1+1=2 true, and that truth is due to the existence of an abstract object which is the proposition expressed by 1+1=2 and is the only abstract object which is a proposition expressed by 1+1=x, then I can understand that a supernatural solution to the problem has been offered. But, if all propositions expressed by 1+1=x, where x=anything, exist as abstract objects, then what do these abstract objects achieve? We have deferred the problem, that's all.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 06:53 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;166831 wrote:
I meant what I wrote. I know that 1+1=2, it's a fact that 1+1=2, whereas it's a fiction that 1+1=stilton.

So Emil was right, all you mean by "fiction" is false? Well, I certainly think there are false statements. Why would you think I did not?

ughaibu

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 07:01 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;166832 wrote:
So Emil was right, all you mean by "fiction" is false? Well, I certainly think there are false statements. Why would you think I did not?
1+1=stilton isn't a mistake in calculation, it's an intentionally constructed fiction. Apparently you are now telling me that you believe that there exists an abstract object which is the proposition expressed by this fiction. In short, you are now stating that there are fictional objects.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 07:10 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu; it's an intentionally constructed fiction. .[/QUOTE wrote:

I guess we have come full circle. What is an intentionally (or unintentionally) constructed fiction? Isn't 1+1=stilton just a false statement if it is a statement at all? (You really must get over thinking that if you repeat a phrase several times that will overcome the objections made the first time. Repetition really does not help).

Night Ripper

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 07:11 am
@Gnostic,
Could you two stop derailing this thread?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/20/2024 at 10:58:35