Evidence versus Proof

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 10:48 pm
@fast,
This is old stuff we are hashing up. Yes, there is something outside of our consciousness, but it only exist for us by means of consciousness. Is this so difficult to understand?

In one sense, of course the Earth was here before us. In another sense, it was not. Is this so hard to understand?

So we admit that there is something out there, the "thing-in-itself" or "reality prime." But this is already an invented concept. Schopenhauer loved Kant most for the creation of this concept. It allows to realize that we process the thing-in-itself before we experience it. In our mortal finite brains we create a mental model of that presumably surpasses our abilities to fully conceptualize it. For all we know, the universe is six-dimensional.
We discover new ways to describe and comprehend the world all the time. And yet like monkeys we expect our current views to stay fresh forever.
To speak with arrogant certainty about objective reality from the perspective of one mortal fallible little ape brain....

And you think I'm the one that's outrageous. From my point of view, it's my opponents who strike me as flat- earthers.

The history of science is full of advances at the cost of superstitions that we took for laws. Man is as superstitious as he always was. But now, for some, its the jargon of scientific prejudice that mystifies.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 10:57 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;109079 wrote:
This is old stuff we are hashing up. Yes, there is something outside of our consciousness, but it only exist for us by means of consciousness. Is this so difficult to understand?

In one sense, of course the Earth was here before us. In another sense, it was not. Is this so hard to understand?

I guess you just mean that unless we were conscious we could not know that something exists because without consciousness we could not know anything. And I agree with that. But saying that something "exists for us" is very misleading since it suggests that the existence of things depends on us. And that, of course, is false. Although, I will admit that to some ears, "exists for us" sounds terribly profound. But I do understand that unless I was conscious I could not know anything, and therefore I could not know that anything existed. Won't that do?

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:01 pm
@fast,
If the brain in conjunction with the thing-in-itself are both necessary to create our human experience, why should we so ferociously favor the "objective" side of this equation? Of course it's quite useful, but are we not forgetting that the individual mortal finite human mind is at the center of existence, 24 hours a day.

Every living human is the center of the universe -- in any sort of human way that is. Have we not been seduced by technology into forgetting the subjective root of our personal existence? Do we forget that our mental-model of reality is limited by the structure of our mammalian brains?

Do we make an idol of this mental model, while meaning to idolize a connect to reality itself?

kennethamy

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:08 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;109089 wrote:
If the brain in conjunction with the thing-in-itself are both necessary to create our human experience, why should we so ferociously favor the "objective" side of this equation? Of course it's quite useful, but are we not forgetting that the individual mortal finite human mind is at the center of existence, 24 hours a day.

Every living human is the center of the universe -- in any sort of human way that is. Have we not been seduced by technology into forgetting the subjective root of our personal existence? Do we forget that our mental-model of reality is limited by the structure of our mammalian brains?

Do we make an idol of this mental model, while meaning to idolize a connect to reality itself?

I have no good reason to think there is a "thing-in-itself", so don't burden me with that notion.

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:10 pm
@fast,
You must be kidding. That's another name for your God. If you think there's nothing behind phenomena, you're more skeptical than I am.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:23 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;109097 wrote:
You must be kidding. That's another name for your God. If you think there's nothing behind phenomena, you're more skeptical than I am.

Oh, I think there is something behind phenomena. It is what we observe. We don't observe phenomena. They are the means by which we observe reality.

Stansfield

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:38 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;109069 wrote:

It depends on the subject. When a judge instructs the jury that if it is to find the defendant guilty "beyond a reasonable doubt" he is hardly demanding what you claim a proof would be, since that would be impossible to provide. What you have in mind is a conclusion that can be had only in mathematics or formal logic, of in other formalized subjects(except for the sensory evidence that does not exist in those two subjects, of course).

You don't believe physics for instance to be a formalized subject? (and its laws proven?) How do you explain all the aircraft above North America consistently staying in the air then (except in the case of some failure consistent with the laws of physics)?

kennethamy;109069 wrote:

In other areas the kind of proof you demand is, of course, not available. For instance, when I prove that the word, "weird" is spelled just that way, I do it not by a formal proof like the one you describe, but by showing how the word is spelled in a good dictionary.

That's because the spelling of a word is not a metaphysical fact. Claiming that "weird" is spelled that way in a specific dictionary, on the other hand, is a metaphysical claim, and simply producing the dictionary would be conclusive evidence (proof) of it.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:43 pm
@Stansfield,
Stansfield;109115 wrote:
You don't believe physics for instance to be a formalized subject? (and its laws proven?) How do you explain all the aircraft above North America consistently staying in the air then (except in the case of some failure consistent with the laws of physics)?

That's because the spelling of a word is not a metaphysical fact. Claiming that "weird" is spelled that way in a specific dictionary, on the other hand, is a metaphysical claim, and simply producing the dictionary would be conclusive evidence (proof) of it.

A lot of physics is formalized. What makes you believe I don't think so. But psychology is not, nor is geography, nor is a jury verdict.

That "weird" is spelled in a certain way is a metaphysical claim? But anyway, what has that to do with it?

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:46 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;109105 wrote:
Oh, I think there is something behind phenomena. It is what we observe. We don't observe phenomena. They are the means by which we observe reality.

Perhaps you will admit that phenomena (consciousness) must be interpreted -- and that our complex mental-model of objective reality is the result of this interpretation.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:49 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;109119 wrote:
Perhaps you will admit that phenomena (consciousness) must be interpreted -- and that our complex mental-model of objective reality is the result of this interpretation.

In part our beliefs about the world are the result of our interpretation of our sensory input.

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:50 pm
@fast,
I agree. And the other part?

Stansfield

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:55 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;109118 wrote:
A lot of physics is formalized. What makes you believe I don't think so. But psychology is not, nor is geography, nor is a jury verdict.

A jury verdict in today's America cannot be said to be formalized, but how to apply logic to reality is formalized. Scientists have been relying on it since Aristotle, that's why science is so spectacularly consistent.

kennethamy;109118 wrote:

That "weird" is spelled in a certain way is a metaphysical claim?

"weird is spelled this way in Webster's dictionary" is a claim about a metaphysical fact, easily provable by direct evidence.

"the correct spelling of weird is this" is not a claim about a metaphysical fact, it is a claim about a man made convention.

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:58 pm
@fast,
I suggest that science invents concepts like force, for instance, or photons, and associates these concepts with certain measurements and certain equations.

Also the principle that experiments must be repeatable is a tacit admission that objective reality is largely founded upon consensus.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 12:02 am
@Stansfield,
Stansfield;109127 wrote:
A jury verdict in today's America cannot be said to be formalized, but how to apply logic to reality is formalized. Scientists have been relying on it since Aristotle, that's why science is so spectacularly consistent.

"weird is spelled this way in Webster's dictionary" is a claim about a metaphysical fact, easily provable by direct evidence.

"the correct spelling of weird is this" is not a claim about a metaphysical fact, it is a claim about a man made convention.

How a word is spelled in the dictionary is a metaphysical fact? Go figure!

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 12:06 am
@kennethamy,
Kenneth,
it's freaky but we may be on the same side this time. I didn't know that anything metaphysical was easily provable by direct evidence.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 12:09 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;109133 wrote:
Kenneth,
it's freaky but we may be on the same side this time. I didn't know that anything metaphysical was easily provable by direct evidence.

I have a feeling S. does not know what "metaphysical" means.

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 12:12 am
@fast,
I agree completely. Weird.

Stansfield

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 12:16 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;109128 wrote:
I suggest that science invents concepts like force, for instance, or photons, and associates these concepts with certain measurements and certain equations.

Right. And everything magically works out exactly the way scientists say it would, just because they said it would. By that logic, the fact that scientists are saying San Francisco will be under water in 50 years ensures that this will happen.

Reconstructo;109128 wrote:

Also the principle that experiments must be repeatable is a tacit admission that objective reality is largely founded upon consensus.

You're being silly. The fact that experiments are repeatable is what proves the existence of one, objective reality, and our knowledge of various aspects of it.

If scientists chose to vote on what reality is, why would that have to be verified by actually observing reality, through experimentation?

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 12:21 am
@fast,
You've missed a big debate about what exactly "objective reality" is made of. Are you familiar with Kant?

We process our sense-date into space, time, causality, number, etc.

We don't experience reality directly. Of course it depends on how you use the word "reality." Do you like the linguistic philosophers?

Science is founded on repeatable experiments. It's not the scientist who vote. Their repeatable experiments "vote." And "Force" is a concept that determines how and what we measure that which we associate with this abstraction force. Just as the "atom," which the naked eye has never seen, is a mental-model that seems compatible with the results of certain measurements, certain experiments.

Stansfield

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 12:26 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;109137 wrote:
I have a feeling S. does not know what "metaphysical" means.

Maybe we disagree on the meaning. My definition of Metaphysics is that of Aristotle's. In this case, by metaphysical fact I simply referenced that part of Aristotle's "first philosophy" which concerns itself with the study of being and existence: ontology.

By the spelling of the word "weird" in Webster's dictionary being a metaphysical fact, I mean that said spelling exists, ink on paper, and that existence is a primary, independent of human consciousness and easily observable through the use of sight. If you have it.

What do you mean by metaphysics, that caused you such bafflement at my use of the word?

---------- Post added 12-08-2009 at 01:29 AM ----------

Reconstructo;109149 wrote:
It's not the scientist who vote. Their repeatable experiments "vote."

They do? How do you know?

You said consensus, you never mentioned that experiments "vote". I simply assumed that experiments don't vote, eat dinner or go to movies, only human beings do, and that by consensus you mean agreement among some group of human beings.

So, enlighten me: who are the parties doing the agreeing, in this consensus of yours that apparently causes the law of gravity to be what it is?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 09:40:00