Hi

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Calia

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 06:07 pm
I'm new to the forum, and while I would hope to have many wonderful discussions here, I searched for a forum such as this with one main purpose in mind. (see bottom)

In the meantime, I live in Richmond VA with 3 kitties and a roommate. I am in the process of aspiring to be a struggling writer. (Moving on to successful writer one day?) I work 5 jobs, depending on how you count them and have a few new hobbies to boot.

Oh, and very importantly, my computer died semi-recently and I have no replacement as of yet - or expect one anytime soon. So I have to use the library for my major computing.

This was a long winded way of saying between work and computer issues my presence may be a bit on the sporadic side. That isn't from lack of interest. Just lack of time/energy.

I still look forward to future discussions!

----
But in the meantime I am thinking of pursuing a degree in Philosophy/Religion. While I can massage out of the computer a list of schools that offer such degrees I am having trouble finding out which are the best or otherwise choosing one. I hoped a forum of people interested in the subject might be prepared to help me with recommendations or other advice?

I already have a BS in Criminal Justice. So this would be a second Bachelors or my first Masters. I don't care about state/campus size/ etc. I want a quality education first and most. After that money is a consideration though. Barring scholarship/loans.

Any advice?

Justin

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 06:13 pm
@Calia,
Welcome Calia! Thanks for the intro and sorry to hear about your computer. I couldn't imagine being without one. I also would like to be a writer it just takes a lot of discipline to get started and then stay at it.

Look forward to post number 2. Thanks again!

Added -

On your education, what is the purpose of the degree? Do you intend to secure a job with it or just get a better understanding of both?

boagie

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 07:47 pm
@Calia,
Calia,Smile

:)You sound like a really energetic person, full of life. Well, we are most pleased to have you with us, even if it has to be sporadic. Consider this your philosophical home, where you will always be welcome. Make yourself at home. boagie

Calia

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 02:06 pm
@Justin,
The degree would be for educational purposes (to learn more) only. It has always been a great interest of mine and now is the time for a dedicated and concentrated study I think. While I am not adverse to being a teacher or in some way using the degree I have no plans to do so currently.

Ideally I would like to leave this world with about 7 PhDs. (No, I didn't pick 7 for any particular reason, just a number signifying "several".) I have 3 degrees now, but they are all Bachelors or Associates.

This is off topic from philosophy but my current degrees are in Police Science, Forensic Science, and Criminal Justice. To go further with a CJ Masters requires "specializing" and once you specialize you can only get a job in that arena. So I'm holding off on a CJ Masters until I have decided my specialty WITH CERTAINTY.

Other degrees I am/have/intend to pursue are Business, Dance, Ethics, Logic, Philosophy/Religion, Parapsychology (can you imagine formal coursework in that?! - fascinating!) and eventually perhaps Math. I should have been born during the Renaissance, I find this age very restricting.

But I have decided my next degree WILL be Philosophy-Religion I just need to find a Where (school) and would really really appreciate any input on this.

Otherwise thank you for the welcoming words. I was looking for my "third place" perhaps, if nothing else 'virtually', this can be it!

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 02:49:59