A logic problem I cannot figure out

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Logic
  3. » A logic problem I cannot figure out

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 02:15 pm
Hey I cant post anywhere else and I have introduced myself, replied to a post, cleared cookies, restarted browser and all the works. I was seeing if someone could move this to the logic forum for me, untill my username gets fixed. Thanks

This is a old assignment my roomate had from school, I was interested in Logic and started to read his notes and books and came across this assignment. I tried to figure it out but I failed according to him. So if anyone here could help me out it would be appreciated thanks!

Construct a Truth-table that demonstrates whether (1) is truth functionally true, false, or indeterminate. Explain why your truth-table demonstrates the intended conclusion.
~(C&~C)

Construct a Truth-table that demonstrates whether (2) is true or false. The symbol |= stands for truth-functional entailment. Explain why your truth table demonstrates the intended conclusion.
{(B >C),B} |= C
Note: > is Material implication

Consider the following argument. Jones or sally has the highest exam score. Jones scores higher than sally only if he did not play soccer over the weekend. Since he played soccer, Sally has the highest score.

a) Construct an abbreviation scheme, and symbolize the argument in standard form.

b) Construct a truth-table that demonstrates whether the argument is valid or invalid. Explain why your truth-table demonstrates the intended conclusion.

Consider the following set of sentences. {Neither Smith nor Jones is happy, Brown is unhappy provided that Jones is Unhappy, Smith is happy provided that Brown is unhappy}.

a) Construct an abbreviation scheme, and symbolize each sentence in the set.

b) Construct a truth-table that demonstrates whether the set is truth-functionally consistent or inconsistent. Explain why your truth-table demonstrates the intended conclusion.

(Moderator edit and note: I have moved your post as requested, changed the Topic Title, and have sent you a PM. jgw)

Afmateo40

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 09:52 am
@Afmateo40,
Anyone have any insight on this? Thanks

kennethamy

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 10:00 am
@Afmateo40,
Afmateo40;129667 wrote:
Anyone have any insight on this? Thanks

There is a policy that homework questions cannot be done on this forum. It is obviously unfair to do homework questions. But, if you attempt to deal with the problems, people are likely to post in, and tell you why you are right (or wrong) and give you help. But you have to make an honest effort.

Emil

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 12:35 am
@Afmateo40,
Why don't you just read a textbook? This stuff is pretty basic. I will send you one if you PM me. Tomassi, Paul - Logic

And note what Ken said above.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Logic
  3. » A logic problem I cannot figure out
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 12:51:27