Falsity implies anything?!?!?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 06:15 pm
@Emil,
Emil;94829 wrote:
:OK:

Kennethamy probably knows more logic than I do. I'm only 20.

Knowledge of logic is not a function of age. Frank P. Ramsey, who knew more logic than both of us put together, times 10, died at the age of 26.

Frank P. Ramsey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Emil

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 06:43 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;94834 wrote:
Knowledge of logic is not a function of age. Frank P. Ramsey, who knew more logic than both of us put together, times 10, died at the age of 26.

Frank P. Ramsey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's too bad that he died so early. Sounds like he could have contributed a lot more.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 12:59 pm
@JeffD2,
A not B then AB ...

To negate, the proponents recognize each other presence, and assimilate...

Regards>FILIPE DE ALBUQUERQUE

kennethamy

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 01:04 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;98332 wrote:
A not B then AB ...

To negate, the proponents recognize each other presence, and assimilate...

Your answer to what? This is a question about formal logic, because it is in formal logic that a false proposition implies any proposition. So how can an answer not have anything to do with formal logic?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 01:07 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;98335 wrote:
Your answer to what? This is a question about formal logic, because it is in formal logic that a false proposition implies any proposition. So how can an answer not have anything to do with formal logic?

Sorry, I was referring to myself, i did not study Logic, so I am stating only an informal opinion...but I would like to know what you or someone else think of it.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 01:11 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;98337 wrote:
Sorry, I was referring to myself, i did not study Logic, so I am stating only an informal opinion...but I would like to know what you or someone else think of it.

This is not a matter of opinion. It is a matter of formal logic.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 01:12 pm
@kennethamy,
"Roger"...:surrender:

leafy

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 06:08 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;98335 wrote:

Doesn't that rely on Disjunctive Syllogism or Reductio Ad Absurdum?

kennethamy

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 06:12 pm
@leafy,
leafy;98632 wrote:

Actually, I think it is just the converse. DS, and RAA rely on F>X. But is that what you are asking?

leafy

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:32 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;98633 wrote:
Actually, I think it is just the converse. DS, and RAA rely on F>X. But is that what you are asking?

Typically, it goes like this:
Leafy wrote:

kennethamy

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:35 pm
@leafy,
leafy;98661 wrote:
Typically, it goes like this:

Sorry, I don't know what you are getting at. Could you be more explicit?

leafy

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:46 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;98664 wrote:
Sorry, I don't know what you are getting at. Could you be more explicit?

kennethamy

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:51 pm
@leafy,
leafy;98668 wrote:

I guess I don't understand what you mean by "relies". Do you mean that F>X implies DS or RAA? How?

leafy

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 08:40 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;98670 wrote:
I guess I don't understand what you mean by "relies". Do you mean that F>X implies DS or RAA? How?

I'm exploring your usage of it:

kennethamy;98633 wrote:

Emil

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 12:28 am
@leafy,
leafy;98632 wrote:

No it does not. Logical implication is defined in a way such that it directly follows from the definition. With the possible worlds' approach it is defined something like this:

[INDENT]P implies Q iff there is no possible world where it is not the case that Q and it is the case that P.

[/INDENT]Obviously if there is no possible world where P is the case, then there is no possible world where P is the case and Q is not the case.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 06:10 am
@Emil,
Emil;98699 wrote:
No it does not. Logical implication is defined in a way such that it directly follows from the definition. With the possible worlds' approach it is defined something like this:
[INDENT]P implies Q iff there is no possible world where it is not the case that Q and it is the case that P.

[/INDENT]Obviously if there is no possible world where P is the case, then there is no possible world where P is the case and Q is not the case.

Right. And then the other lines on the truth-table have to conform with, TF F, including that a false proposition (materially) implies any proposition.

Emil

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 08:01 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;98723 wrote:
Right. And then the other lines on the truth-table have to conform with, TF F, including that a false proposition (materially) implies any proposition.

What do you mean? I don't understand the sentence about truth tables and TF F.

I agree that a false proposition logically implies any proposition. I also agree that a false proposition materially implies any proposition. This is logically implied by the former.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 08:06 am
@Emil,
Emil;98747 wrote:
What do you mean? I don't understand the sentence about truth tables and TF F.

I agree that a false proposition logically implies any proposition. I also agree that a false proposition materially implies any proposition. This is logically implied by the former.

Where did I say that? Are you all right?

Emil

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 02:31 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;98751 wrote:
Where did I say that? Are you all right?

Two posts up. You know. I quoted you.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 02:44 pm
@Emil,
Emil;98846 wrote:
Two posts up. You know. I quoted you.

No idea..........

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 11:28:45