evening

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 03:07 am
hello, i am idiot savant who gets bored with everything quickly, and so buys beer he can't afford just so the streamlined tv shows will seem interesting. curently laid off at the factory, so right now on unemplyment, and i live with my dad. But i do pay him rent.

i know i shouldn't post twice in a row but i forgot to say something about me and philosophy. i think philosophy is only usefull as a hobby, since mankind will never change. i have been interested in critical thinking sorta stuff since i was young. interestinly enough when i was about 10 i had the most personally striking thought of my life while lying in bed. it was wierd. the room span the idea was so deep. i awoke the next day and said to myself, "man that was wierd. what was the thought?" and i couldn't remember.
 
de budding
 
Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 03:34 am
@aaron the red,
Welcome Red,
'idiot savant' I like that phrase Smile
Getting bored with everything quickly is a problem, I find I read lots of 1/2's of books and have about 50 hobbies I 'forgot' about. Good for experience though, I like being a jack of all Smile Hope you like the forums, I'll see you around.
Dan.
 
urangutan
 
Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 05:01 am
@de budding,
Yeah, G'day Aaron the red, you seem to be upright and pretty straight forward, lets hope you can bend to a truth. I like the philosophy hobby idea.
 
Justin
 
Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 07:25 am
@aaron the red,
Welcome Aaron! Thanks for the intro. I've merged your two posts to keep things cleaned up a bit. Do hope you enjoy the forum.
 
urangutan
 
Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 07:36 am
@Justin,
Sorry.
Maybe somebody, noticed I was on this page about to write something I didn't realise was an insult. So I thought I would apologize.
Sorry.
 
aaron the red
 
Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 02:00 pm
@urangutan,
please urangutan. telling someone to bend to a truth isn't an insult. it's good advice. so thanx much, but then i am in kind of a good mood right now.
 
infinidream
 
Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 06:32 pm
@aaron the red,
that brings into question the value of memory. you remember that you had a profound thought, but you don't know what the thought was. If your memory is faulty enough that you can't remember the actual thought, maybe the fact that it was profound is also faulty.
 
de Silentio
 
Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 08:40 pm
@aaron the red,
Quote:

i think philosophy is only usefull as a hobby, since mankind will never change.


I don't find it customary to question a person in their introductory post, but I must ask if you truly believe this.

If I may, I will point out a few examples of how, I think, philosophy has changed history.

Socrates and Plato are one example. Hegel points out that there was a fundamental shift in the mentality of the people during the time of Plato. I think he attributes it directly to Socrates. This shift was from the a person thinking of himself as an individual and not merely as a part of society.

Bacon and Descartes are another example. From what I understand, they brought about the fundamental theories behind modern science and scientific investigation. Which has been immensely influence to history.

I might add, I don't think the aim in philosophy should be to change mankind, but to improve the single individual. Philosophy has had a major impact in setting my life aright. And even though it has probably destroyed some peoples lives (or drove them literally insane), when approached in a humble way, what is more rewarding than investigating the starry skies above and the moral law within?
 
Pepijn Sweep
 
Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 05:26 am
@de Silentio,
de Silentio;14514 wrote:
I don't find it customary to question a person in their introductory post, but I must ask if you truly believe this.

If I may, I will point out a few examples of how, I think, philosophy has changed history.

Socrates and Plato are one example. Hegel points out that there was a fundamental shift in the mentality of the people during the time of Plato. I think he attributes it directly to Socrates. This shift was from the a person thinking of himself as an individual and not merely as a part of society.

Bacon and Descartes are another example. From what I understand, they brought about the fundamental theories behind modern science and scientific investigation. Which has been immensely influence to history.

I might add, I don't think the aim in philosophy should be to change mankind, but to improve the single individual. Philosophy has had a major impact in setting my life aright. And even though it has probably destroyed some peoples lives (or drove them literally insane), when approached in a humble way, what is more rewarding than investigating the starry skies above and the moral law within?


Philosophy is a way of life to me. Hell of a lot healthier than just meditatin'. Agree it's daily life that matters. You can can hardly dream Up a Better World, as a Lover of Wisdom.:nonooo:

---------- Post added 03-27-2010 at 04:28 AM ----------

aaron the red;14485 wrote:
please urangutan. telling someone to bend to a truth isn't an insult. it's good advice. so thanx much, but then i am in kind of a good mood right now.


How are you in abad mood ? You suffer mood~swings ?:brickwall:
 
Pepijn Sweep
 
Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 03:32 pm
@infinidream,
infinidream;14507 wrote:
that brings into question the value of memory. you remember that you had a profound thought, but you don't know what the thought was. If your memory is faulty enough that you can't remember the actual thought, maybe the fact that it was profound is also faulty.


ans so is the value of money:brickwall:
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 04:29 pm
@aaron the red,
aaron the red;14435 wrote:
hello, i am idiot savant who gets bored with everything quickly, and so buys beer he can't afford just so the streamlined tv shows will seem interesting. curently laid off at the factory, so right now on unemplyment, and i live with my dad. But i do pay him rent.

i know i shouldn't post twice in a row but i forgot to say something about me and philosophy. i think philosophy is only usefull as a hobby, since mankind will never change. i have been interested in critical thinking sorta stuff since i was young. interestinly enough when i was about 10 i had the most personally striking thought of my life while lying in bed. it was wierd. the room span the idea was so deep. i awoke the next day and said to myself, "man that was wierd. what was the thought?" and i couldn't remember.


i think philosophy is only usefull as a hobby, since mankind will never change. i have been interested in critical thinking

Now, if you are interested in critical thinking, then you should be interested in the nature of arguments. You have just produced an argument (in bold above). The premise is that mankind will never change. The conclusion is that philosophy is useful only as a hobby. How does the premise support that conclusion? That is, how is that premise a reason for thinking that conclusion is true. I don't see how the conclusion follows from that premise. Can you explain how it does?
 
aaron the red
 
Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 07:30 pm
@aaron the red,
[QUOTE=infinidream;14507]that brings into question the value of memory. you remember that you had a profound thought, but you don't know what the thought was. If your memory is faulty enough that you can't remember the actual thought, maybe the fact that it was profound is also faulty.[/QUOTE]

I don't know that it was all that profound, but it did feel that way. It's supposed to be a funny story.

[QUOTE=de Silentio;14514]I don't find it customary to question a person in their introductory post, but I must ask if you truly believe this.[/QUOTE]
de Silentio;14514 wrote:


If I may, I will point out a few examples of how, I think, philosophy has changed history.

Socrates and Plato are one example. Hegel points out that there was a fundamental shift in the mentality of the people during the time of Plato. I think he attributes it directly to Socrates. This shift was from the a person thinking of himself as an individual and not merely as a part of society.

Bacon and Descartes are another example. From what I understand, they brought about the fundamental theories behind modern science and scientific investigation. Which has been immensely influence to history.

I might add, I don't think the aim in philosophy should be to change mankind, but to improve the single individual. Philosophy has had a major impact in setting my life aright. And even though it has probably destroyed some peoples lives (or drove them literally insane), when approached in a humble way, what is more rewarding than investigating the starry skies above and the moral law within?


I must admit that since I originally wrote this 2 years ago I've changed my mind. Philosophy is useful, but I disagree in that it is a personal usefulness. I think it is a cultural one.

[QUOTE=kennethamy;144851]i think philosophy is only usefull as a hobby, since mankind will never change. i have been interested in critical thinking [/QUOTE]
kennethamy;144851 wrote:


Now, if you are interested in critical thinking, then you should be interested in the nature of arguments. You have just produced an argument (in bold above). The premise is that mankind will never change. The conclusion is that philosophy is useful only as a hobby. How does the premise support that conclusion? That is, how is that premise a reason for thinking that conclusion is true. I don't see how the conclusion follows from that premise. Can you explain how it does?


The idea is that people never change so there is nothing especially important about learning philosophy, because it accomplishes nothing.
 
 

 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 07/24/2021 at 03:25:27