Affirmation of the consequent

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Logic
  3. » Affirmation of the consequent

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Joe

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 12:32 pm
I read this as one of many fallacies that are used to sidetrack what is logical. Affirmation of the consequent states that, A implies B, B is true, therefore A is true.

So A implies B. But how can B still be true when your relating it to A which has not been stated as true, until it is compared to something that is?

I know its simple but it seems that if this is one of the most simple concepts in logic, then I have to make changes to everything I believe is true.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 08:38 am
@Joe,
Joe wrote:
I read this as one of many fallacies that are used to sidetrack what is logical. Affirmation of the consequent states that, A implies B, B is true, therefore A is true.

So A implies B. But how can B still be true when your relating it to A which has not been stated as true, until it is compared to something that is?

I know its simple but it seems that if this is one of the most simple concepts in logic, then I have to make changes to everything I believe is true.

The fallacy is to suppose that because A > B, and because B is true, that A is true. For instance, if it is true that if something is a dog then it is a mammal, and if it is true that something is a mammal, it would be fallacious to conclude that something was a dog.

A is not stated as true, and only B is stated as true (in the second premise) but it is not stated as true because of A.

Essentially, the fallacy consists in thinking that because A is a sufficient condition of B, that B is also a sufficient condition of A. In fact, B is a necessary condition (but not sufficient condition of A) So, in my example above, although being a dog is a sufficient condition of being a mammal,it does that follow that being a mammal is a sufficient condition of being a dog. And, in effect, that is what the fallacious argument says: because A is a sufficient condition of B, B is a sufficient condition of A. And that's wrong.
span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

ogre

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:12 am
@Joe,
It also depends on the logical operator you apply to the condition. There is as far as I know 3 logical operators... And, Or, Not. Each will give you a different answer. Without sufficient data you cannot make an assumption.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Logic
  3. » Affirmation of the consequent
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 09:39:25