A suggestion for threads involving math.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Logic
  3. » A suggestion for threads involving math.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 08:38 pm
Some philosophies involving logic do require a ton of math to solve, or involve a ton of math to understand in the first place.

Therefore, to make it easier for people who may not necessarily be math wizards, but may wish to partake in the logic theorems (and learn at the same time) to include links to the formulas involved in the math posts, or to have footnotes which include the formulas, for easy reference.

As a footnote, it could be easily recognized by changing the colour of the text to something bright, or italicizing it. (Just refrain from using RED, as it's reserved for moderators and admin purposes. Smile )

That's it...just to make it easier and more inviting for everyone.

~Cheers.

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 11:10 pm
@Aristoddler,
Amen, Us Math illiterates would appreciate it

Arjen

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 06:10 am
@Aristoddler,
Are Latex symbols included on this forum?

Aristoddler

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 02:49 pm
@Aristoddler,
As far as I know, Arjen there is no rule against it...

But if you're going to use them, you'll probably have to type your text offline in WordPerfect and then cut and paste in into the forum, since it'll probably come up as gobbleygook if you type LaTex direct to the site.

Arjen

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 04:27 pm
@Aristoddler,
I do not think so then. Latex is really usefull because it is code placed between tags (like quote's so to speak) the code is then read differently and can form logical symbols for instance, or mathematical formulae.

The pack can be downloaded here.

I would most definatley appreciate it of the forum would support latex.

--edit--
Oh yeah, it has Greek symbols too...It has millions of symbols really. The ones I mentioned are just the ones I like.. Smile
--/edit--

Aristoddler

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 07:40 pm
@Aristoddler,
It's a good idea, for certain.
Until then, I'd just suggest scanning handwritten stuff like I do on occasion when I don't feel like resorting to words for whatever reason.

If you have a scanner that is.

Justin

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 08:01 pm
@Aristoddler,
It's not a component available for this version of the software. I've emailed the original developer but have not heard anything back. Will let everyone know when I hear something.

Good idea... although I use calculators and computers to do this kind of stuff. Smile

Arjen

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 01:52 am
@Aristoddler,
Too bad guys...I guess I'll look to my scanner for now..

Skbibek

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 05:40 am
@Justin,
Justin wrote:

It's not a component available for this version of the software. I've emailed the original developer but have not heard anything back. Will let everyone know when I hear something.

Good idea... although I use calculators and computers to do this kind of stuff. Smile

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Logic
  3. » A suggestion for threads involving math.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 07:02:29