Hello

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 03:16 am
Hello, my name is chris. I am an undergraduate student majoring in mathematics and physics. My interest in philosophy in the formal sense(I have as long as I r began with Nietzsche, Dostoevsky and a bit of Kant a little over one year ago and it quickly evolved into a full blown study of analytic philosophy and logic. i quickly assumed a relentlessly skeptical view and then abandoned it for the comfort of Russell, Frege, and other early analytic philosophers, only to run into Wittgenstein and Godel, by whom my growing affection for the asthetic of a perfect logical reality was rent asunder( or at least temporarily redirected).

I am currently interested in the role of non-analytic philosophy and combining it with natural phenomena such as survival instinct to develop a plausible direction and incentive for natural science, as my skeptical nature has made it very difficult for me to feel that any "progress" I am making or could make can be satisfactorily considered progress since I cannot logically find a proper direction and thus my actions are meaningless.

My current goal is thus to pick an outcome and direction for my actions which I find most reasonable ( which currently means realizing that my current motivation is a self interested one and that survival and instinct tie into this most directly thus I appeal to natural systems as often as I can) and then drawing my philosophy upwards from there.

I have come to realize through my musings that self interest is not something that can be removed from an action for even in what is typically considered a "selfless' act, there must be a self motivation to commit the act. i have also done much thinking in the way of the nature and balance of the two sides of freedom, freedom form and freedom to and the role they play society.

[edit] spaced paragraphs - jk

de budding

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 05:39 am
@Zetetic11235,
Welcome,
And a warm welcome indeed, your short introduction has highlighted a lot of issues I have been considering recently; I look forward to learning your take on things. At the moment I am finding the inability to act independently of self-interest is more to do with the idea that we can't act at all. I look forward to you posting some of your musings.
Enjoy your stay,
Dan.

boagie

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 08:01 am
@de budding,
Zetetic,Smile

:)Say, hi yourself!! You certainly do sound like an interesting chap. Welcome to the forum, relax and make yourself at home. See you on the boards!

Arjen

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 09:02 am
@boagie,
Pleased to meet you indeed. Like de budding I am also interested in most of the topics you mention in your brief post. I bet I can learn a lot from you and well, who knows I have something to offer you as well...In the very least I could share some of my confusion Wink

Zetetic11235

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 11:44 pm
@Arjen,
thank you all for the welcome. De budding, you have caught my interest, im not sure where you are coming from with this idea but you have made me want to look into your other posts on this and see if we can't have a very lengthy disscusion on this. My main question for you is whether you are approaching this from a the view of determinism, which very much appeals to me but I find to be more than likely impossible to prove, or from some other left field line of though that hasn't even crossed my mind yet.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 02:21:02