Introduction

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 04:38 pm
Hello,

I'm currently a student of philosophy, so when I discovered this forum, I was excited to join and to use the discussion as a tool to help me learn and clarify philosophical concepts. I'll also, as best as I can, share, and attempt to help everyone else here, through discussion and like means.

My main philosophical interests are metaphysics, philosophy of religion, and epistemology, though I'm always eager to learn more and talk about other branches, and topics within them, as well.

-dergottthrower

de Silentio

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 05:50 pm
@dergottthrower,
Welcome dergottthrower, I am also a student of philosophy interested in the exact same areas.

If I may ask, where do you go to school?

dergottthrower

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 06:31 pm
@de Silentio,
Actually, I just graduated from a 2-year school, Dutchess Community College, and am entering a state school in August: SUNY New Paltz. My formal education of philosophy, at this point, is very limited because my primary major is English; Philosophy is my secondary major. Formally, I've taken only 2 introductory courses: major religions of the world and philosophy: the primary issues.
I read as much philosophy as I can, though, in my spare time; right now I'm on "An Enquiry of Human Understanding," by Hume. I haven't read many other works of philosophy as I must, during each semester, give way to reading for class; which up to this point has been mostly literature. Within the next year or so, however, I'll be much more formally educated in the field and more competent in my discussions.
As I've said before, though, I plan to use this forum to my advantage; by mingling with minds of like interest, namely philosophy and its branches, I hope to be better versed and better shaped by the discussions we all engage in.

Now that that's out of the way, where do you go to school?

boagie

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 09:13 pm
@dergottthrower,
dergotthrower,Smile

Welcome to the forum, it sounds like you will make a great addition to our numbers, new blood and all that!! Make yourself at home dergotthrower glad you are with us!!!Very Happy

dergottthrower

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 11:10 pm
@boagie,
Thank you, I appreciate the welcome! Very Happy

VideCorSpoon

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 12:13 pm
@dergottthrower,
Welcome!!! I am a very avid follower of metaphysics as well, so we'll be running into each other in the future. I did a course on Hume based around "human understanding" a semester or so ago also. I look forward to talking with you about that and many other subjects.

dergottthrower

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 06:58 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
Most excellent; I'm comforted knowing that I can look forward to conversations grounded n these areas.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 08:28:47