What is time?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

jeeprs

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 08:56 pm
@ikurwa89,
but time is not actually constant. In an expanding universe, there can be no universal or constant time whatever, because there is an indefinite number of frames of reference, within each of which time is actually moving at a different rate.

But then, also consider an alien race that lived on a massive planet that rotated every 7 earth days, so their day was a week to us. Their planet goes around there sun in, say, 5 of our years, and their average lifespan is (say) 250 earth years. Their timescales would be completely different to ours. You might say that events (for example, vibration of a quartz crystal) have the same duration for both that planet, and Earth, and all that is different is how it is measured. Even though that is true, the 'sense of time' and the measures of time would be completely different. It is very much a matter of 'conditioned perception'.

Mentally Ill

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 03:07 am
@ikurwa89,
Simply, I think it is a dimension of perception, much like height, depth and width.
Humans' brain-computers are capable of perceiving only these four dimensions of reality.
A goldfish has a 3 second attention span - it's brain is not as powerful a computer as our own - effectively limiting it's perception of time to just that: 3 seconds. Without a broader scale, the goldfish understands only two things: this and that. Now and next. Goal - achieved. Goal - achieved. And so on.
Time is relative.
A clock in the attic counts time faster than a clock in the basement because of the relative differences those clocks are experiencing in velocity and gravity.
What we, as humans, qualify as only 3 seconds, is the entirety of capable conscious conceptualization to the mind of a goldfish.

Maybe this will make what I'm trying to say more clear:

"onsider an alien race that lived on a massive planet that rotated every 7 earth days, so their day was a week to us."

On Earth, we humans would consider their single day to be a week. But, if a human lived on that planet, it would consider their single day to be just one single day, not a week (except that our biology is conditioned in such a way that we would become fatigued, both physically and mentally, after a certain number of relative Earth hours. But assuming that we could transcend biological limitations, our consciousness would not be any the wiser that time was "different")

I guess time is simply a rate of change.
If it takes a minute for you to run from point A to point B on Earth, it will take you a minute to run from A to B on Mars too, but, as your rate of change will be relative to Mars' gravity and velocity, so will your minute.

Dimension of perception.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 03:26 am
@Mentally Ill,
Reconstructo;149059 wrote:

Philosophy is arguably a sort of meeting place of poetry and math. It aspires, in many cases, to the rigor of mathematics, but this is impossible, as it is made of words.

Which ties into the issue of time. We can't have a rigorous conception of speed until we think of time in numerical terms. This also applies to dynamics in general. F =ma. If force equals mass times acceleration, and acceleration is the rate of change of speed, and speed is distance over time, then time-as-number becomes utterly necessary to conceive of force in Newtonian terms. If time were not a number in the context of physics, I don't see how we could understand gravity. And yet what is this number based on but memory and perception of change. A counting of sunrises and finally strange devices like atomic clocks.

adam.pearson;149412 wrote:
hey when i think of what is time, i think well who made it....

resulting in the thought that IT is bigger than us, so we must ask what did we not create but can recognise that constantly moves us foward in itself.

perhaps the whole human conscience within itself? ie, belief that we are moving foward in time? like ever growing economies ?

thanks for reading Smile

Adam

adam.pearson;149421 wrote:
Time is irrelavant to the human conscious however as time existed before the human conciousness came into being; we can only recognise the concept of time and times passing:

A boox or two on Calenders might by helpfull. It's not so much the passing of Time, but the measuring of Time wich presents a problem. Time is relative, our scales claim to be absolute.

Pepijn Sweep
:lol:Magister

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 03:45 pm
@Mentally Ill,
Mentally Ill;149518 wrote:
Simply, I think it is a dimension of perception, much like height, depth and width.
Humans' brain-computers are capable of perceiving only these four dimensions of reality.
A goldfish has a 3 second attention span - it's brain is not as powerful a computer as our own - effectively limiting it's perception of time to just that: 3 seconds. Without a broader scale, the goldfish understands only two things: this and that. Now and next. Goal - achieved. Goal - achieved. And so on.
Time is relative.
A clock in the attic counts time faster than a clock in the basement because of the relative differences those clocks are experiencing in velocity and gravity.
What we, as humans, qualify as only 3 seconds, is the entirety of capable conscious conceptualization to the mind of a goldfish.

Maybe this will make what I'm trying to say more clear:

"onsider an alien race that lived on a massive planet that rotated every 7 earth days, so their day was a week to us."

On Earth, we humans would consider their single day to be a week. But, if a human lived on that planet, it would consider their single day to be just one single day, not a week (except that our biology is conditioned in such a way that we would become fatigued, both physically and mentally, after a certain number of relative Earth hours. But assuming that we could transcend biological limitations, our consciousness would not be any the wiser that time was "different")

I guess time is simply a rate of change.
If it takes a minute for you to run from point A to point B on Earth, it will take you a minute to run from A to B on Mars too, but, as your rate of change will be relative to Mars' gravity and velocity, so will your minute.

Dimension of perception.

I think you are right, but that this is not the whole truth on time. Time does indeed have a mathematical aspect. I would say a ratio of change. One change is compared to a change that is consider more constant, official etc.
Here's the thing. The perception of change depends upon memory, upon the concept of the past. So memory is perhaps the root of time. We do have externalized memory (photographs), but these must be understood as images of the past (external memory) in order to be useful in regards to time. So I suggest, with Kojeve, that man is concept, and concept is time. Or that man is time. Yes, that's the poetic dense way to say it, but I can't resist.

HexHammer

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 04:35 pm
@ikurwa89,
ikurwa89;145498 wrote:
Time the most fascinating cocept in the world, yet many people still claim that it's objective and NOT subjective.

I would like to see the perspective of this forum on time? Do you think it exists? Is it subjective or objective? Do you think the past and the future is real?

Do you think only the present is real or do you think there is no difference between the past,present and the future(my point of view).

Have a read of this article which goes in great depth in discussing time among many great philosophers from ancient times till modern.
Time is but a messurement like speed, length ..etc.

Imo Eistein totally misunderstood the concept, just becaue it gets disorted by gravity doesn't mean it's actually any such thing as space time.

It would be the same as saying a ships rocking would distort time, when the rocking would manipulate the pendulum of old clocks, or temperature shifts would distort time, just because of poor metallugy in the pendulum.

Source: Search for longitude

Mentally Ill

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 02:01 pm
@Reconstructo,
"I would say a ratio of change. One change is compared to a change that is consider more constant, official etc."

Yes, I would agree with that. All rates of change can be compared to one another and a ratio could probably be determined for two set rates of change.
The time that we would consider to be 'more constant' would presumably be Earth time, as we would naturally compare all other times with our own.
Memory would be the natural way for a human to attempt to discern a rate of change, but with our technology, memory is really somewhat obsolete (when it comes to measuring a rate of change).

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 02:08 pm
@Mentally Ill,
Mentally Ill;151950 wrote:
"I would say a ratio of change. One change is compared to a change that is consider more constant, official etc."

Yes, I would agree with that. All rates of change can be compared to one another and a ratio could probably be determined for two set rates of change.
The time that we would consider to be 'more constant' would presumably be Earth time, as we would naturally compare all other times with our own.
Memory would be the natural way for a human to attempt to discern a rate of change, but with our technology, memory is really somewhat obsolete (when it comes to measuring a rate of change).

Yes, good point. We have all these clocks around us. We only need just enough memory to put these numbers in a living context. ("I have to be at work in 10 minutes!")

Kojeve is a genius on time, IMO. He's an interpreter of Hegel. In short, as strange as it sounds, he argues (successfully) that man is time, because man is the concept, and the concept is time. It's not as strange as it sounds, and we are already half way to that view in this discussion of time as ratio/memory.

Kant argued that time was transcendental (which is to say hard-wired into the structure of our perception), and at first I believed him. But now I think that time is not transcendental.... Instead, it's the byproduct of concept, especially quantity. Kant also argued that causality was transcendental (rather than learned culturally), but I have come to disagree with him on this. Indeed, I think it all boils down to concept, and concept at its core is unification. Anyway, if this interests you, check out this book. It's not all available for free, but it's a favorite of mine, and it's the best discussion of "Eternity, Time, and Concept" I've ever seen. He investigates the relationship of these concepts from Plato to Aristotle to Spinoza to Kant to Hegel. In my opinion, Hegel solved the issue, but he is rarely praised or understood as having done this.

I think the time issue is a great issue indeed. I like this aspect of philosophy.
Introduction to the reading of Hegel ... - Google Books

here's a sample
Quote:

*From Introduction to the Reading of Hegel (p. 117-123)
As I have already said, Spinoza's system is the perfect incarnation of the absurd. (And that is why, when one tries to "realize" his thought, as we say, one experiences the same feeling of dizziness as when one is faced with a paradox of formal logic or set theory.)
Now, a particularly curious thing: absolute error or absurdity is, and must be, just as "circular" as the truth. Thus, Spinoza's (and Parmenides') absolute Knowledge must be symbolized by a closed circle (without a central point, of course): Figure 12. Indeed, if Spinoza says that the Concept is Eternity, whereas Hegel says that it is Time, they have this much in common: the Concept is not a relationship. (Or, if you like, it is in relation only to itself.) Being and (conceptual) Thought are one and the same thing, Parmenides said. Thought (or the Concept) is the attribute of Substance, which is not different from its attribute, Spinoza says. Therefore, in both cases-that is, in Parmenides-Spinoza and in Hegel-there is no "reflection" on Being. In both cases, Being itself is what reflects on itself in and through, or-better yet-as, Concept. Absolute Knowledge that reflects the totality of Being, therefore, is just as closed in itself, just as "circular," as Being itself in its totality: there is nothing outside of the Knowledge, as there is nothing outside of Being. But there is an essential difference: Parmenides-Spinoza's Concept-Being is Eternity, whereas Hegel's Concept-Being is Time. Consequently, Spinozist absolute Knowledge, too, must be Eternity. That is to say that it must exclude Time. In other words: there is no need of Time to realize it; the Ethics must be thought, written, and read "in a trice." And that is the thing's absurdity. [Plotinus, however, accepts this conse-
quence.]

This absurdity was already denounced by Plato in his Parmenides. If Being is truly one (or more exactly, the One)-i.e., if it excludes diversity, all diversity-and therefore all change- i.e., if it is Eternity that annuls Time-if, I say, Being is the One, a man could not speak of it, Plato remarks. Indeed, Discourse would have to be just as one as the Being that it reveals, and there- fore could not go beyond the single word "one." And even that.. . . For Time is still the crucial question. Discourse must be intemporal: now, if he has not the time, man cannot even pronounce a single word. If Being is one, or, what amounts to the same thing, if the Concept is Eternity, "absolute Knowledge" reduces for Man to absolute silence.*11
I say: for Man. That is, for the speaking being that lives in Timeand needs time in order to live and to speak (i.e., in order to think by means of the Concept). Now, as we have seen, the Concept as such is not (or at least does not seem to be) necessarily attached
to Time. The universe of Concepts or of Ideas can be conceived of as a universe of Discourse: as an eternal Discourse, in which all the elements coexist. [This is what Plotinus says.] And as a matter of fact, there are (it seems) nontemporal relations, between Concepts: all Euclid's theorems, for example, exist simultaneously within the entirety of his axioms. [And Plotinus insists on this fact.] Hence there would be a nontemporal Discourse.*12 The idea of the Spinozist System, then, is not absurd: quite simply, it is the idea of absolute Knowledge. What is absurd is that this System is supposed to have been fabricated by a man, who in actual fact needed time in order to fabricate it. [Accordingly, in Plotinus, this system belongs to the eternal Intelligence.] Or else, again: the System can exist outside of Time; but, starting from temporal existence, there is no access to this System. (The Spinozist System is Hegel's Logik, for which there would not and could not be a Phenomenology that "leads" to it; or else, it is Descartes' System, to which one could not find access through a Discourse on Method.)

The Ethics is made in accordance with a method of which an account cannot be given in human language. For the Ethics explains everything, except the possibility for a man living in time to write it. And if the Phenomenology explains why the Logik appears at a certain moment of history and not at another, the Ethics proves the impossibility of its own appearance at any moment of time whatsoever. In short, the Ethics could have been written, if it is true, only by God himself; and, let us take care to note-by a nonincarnated God.
Therefore, the difference between Spinoza and Hegel can be formulated in the following way: Hegel becomes God by thinking or writing the Logik; or, if you like, it is by becoming God that he writes or thinks it. Spinoza, on the other hand, must be God from all eternity in order to be able to write or think his Ethics. Now, if a being that becomes God in time can be called "God" only provided that it uses this term as a metaphor (a correct meta- phor, by the way), the being that has always been God is God in the proper and strict sense of the word. Therefore, to be a Spinozist is actually to replace God the Father (who has no Son, incidentally) by Spinoza, while maintaining the notion of divine transcendence in all its rigor; it is to say that Spinoza is the transcendent God who speaks, to be sure, to human beings, but who speaks to them as eternal God. And this, obviously, is the height of absurdity: to take Spinoza seriously is actually to be-or to become-mad.

Spinoza, like Hegel, identifies Man (that is to say, the Wise Man) and God. It seems, then, that in both cases it could be said indifferently either that there is nothing other than God, or that there is nothing other than Man. Now in point of fact, the two assertions are not identical, and if the first is accepted by Spinoza, only the second expresses Hegel's thought. And that is what Hegel means by saying that Spinoza's System is not a pan-theism, but an a-cosmism: it is the Universe or the totality of Being reduced to God alone, but to a God without World and without men. And to say this is to say that everything that is change, becoming, time, does not exist for Science. For if the Ethics is, in fact, concerned with these things, how or why they appear in it is not known.
With the use of our symbolic circles, then, the difference between Hegel's and Spinoza's Systems can be represented in the following manner:
Let us start with the theistic System. In its pure form, it is Plato's System. But in general it symbolizes possibility II (see Figure 13). For Aristotle, several small circles must be inscribed in the large circle to symbolize the relation of Eternity and Time (Figure 14); but these circles ought to have fitted together; in the end, there would again be the Platonic symbol with only one small circle. (That is to say: all truly coherent theism is a mono- theism.) As for Kant, the same symbol can serve; but the small circle must be drawn with a dotted line, to show that Kant's theology has, for him, only the value of an "as if" (Figure 15). In short, the symbol of the theistic System is valid for every System
that defines the Concept as an eternal entity in relation to something other than itself, no matter whether this other thing is Eternity in Time or outside of Time, or Time itself. But let us return to Spinoza. Starting with the theistic system, Hegel does away with the small circle (reduced beforehand, by his predecessors, to a single point): see Figure 16. Spinoza, on the other hand, does away with the large circle: see Figure 17.

Hence the symbol is the same in both cases: a homogeneous closed circle. And this is important. For we see that it is sufficient to deny that the Concept is a relation with something other than itself in order to set up the ideal of absolute-that is, circular-
Knowledge. And indeed, if the Concept is related to another reality, an isolated concept can be established as true by adequation to this autonomous reality. In this case there are partial facts, or even partial truths. But if the Concept is revealed Being itself, it can be established as true only through itself. The proof itself no longer differs from that which has to be proved. And this means that the truth is a "System," as Hegel says. The word "system" is not found in Spinoza. But the thing itself is there. Setting aside Parmenides, Spinoza is the only philosopher who understood that the principle of all or nothing is valid for Knowledge: either one knows everything, or else one knows nothing; for one sees that one truly knows something only by seeing that one knows everything. And that is why the study of Spinoza is so instructive, despite the absurdity of his point of view. Spinoza sets up the ideal of total, or "systematic," or "circular," Knowledge. However, his System is impossible in Time. And Hegel's whole effort consists in creating a Spinozist System which can be written by a man living in a historical World. And that is why, while admitting with Spinoza that the Concept is not a relation, Hegel identifies
it not with Eternity, but with Time. (On this subject see the Preface to the Phenomenology, pp. i9ff.)

We shall see later what this means. For the moment, I want to underline once more that the symbols of both systems are identical. They differ only in their source (which is not seen in the drawing): doing away with the small or the large circle. And again, this indeed corresponds to the reality. It is understandable that a temporal Knowledge could finally embrace the totality of becoming. But it is not understandable that an eternal Knowledge could absorb everything that is in Time: for the simple reason that it would absorb us ourselves. It would be the absolute Knowledge of Bewusstsein, which would have completely absorbed Selbstbewusstsein. And this, obviously, is absurd.
I shall stop here. To know what the identification of the Concept with Eternity means, one must read the whole Ethics.
Let us proceed, or return, to Kant. Kant agrees with Plato and Aristotle (in opposition to Parmenides-Spinoza and Hegel) that the Concept is an eternal entity, in relation with something other than itself. However, he relates this eternal Concept not to Eternity, but to Time.
We can say, moreover, that Kant defines the Concept as a relation precisely because he sees the impossibility of Spinozism (just as Plato had done to avoid the impossibility of Eleaticism). Perhaps he did not read Spinoza. But in the "Transcendental Deduction of
the Categories" and in the "Schematismus" he says why the Spinozist conception of Knowledge is impossible: it is impossible, because for us-that is, for man-"without intuition the concept is empty."

[/SIZE]

Mentally Ill

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 02:18 pm
@Reconstructo,
Thanks for the reading suggestion, when I have time, I will get to it.
I plan on continuing my self-education on this issue indefinitely, and as I am only a second year college student, I feel that I have plenty of time, luckily.
Before I try reading Hegel's analysis though, I should probably get the background information under my belt, don't you think?
I have a lot of philosophical reading to add to my foundation of understanding before I dive into what seems to be a very complicated issue.

TickTockMan

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 02:37 pm
@Mentally Ill,
"Time is a process by which nature prevents everything from happening all at once."

I don't know who originally said this. Maybe I did. In a previous life . . . or in a different continuum.

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 02:43 pm
@Mentally Ill,
Mentally Ill;151962 wrote:
Thanks for the reading suggestion, when I have time, I will get to it.
I plan on continuing my self-education on this issue indefinitely, and as I am only a second year college student, I feel that I have plenty of time, luckily.
Before I try reading Hegel's analysis though, I should probably get the background information under my belt, don't you think?
I have a lot of philosophical reading to add to my foundation of understanding before I dive into what seems to be a very complicated issue.

Ah yes, there is so much that is worth reading and thinking out there! And yes, background would probably enrich the experience. For me, Hegel was one of the last philosophers I explored. I always mention that book because it has meant so much to me, and yet it took me so long to know of it. In fact, I found it at the library by chance. Research reveals that Kojeve was quite famous once. Hegel is one of those guys who gets a lot of grief, because he's hard to understand & it's easier to write him off as smoke and mirrors. Even Durant, who I really like, didn't have much to say about him in The Story of Philosophy. It was Rorty, who by the way is great IMO, that made me aware of Hegel's significance.

But as you say, there is time for all of this. Forgive me if I am over-enthusiastic. :bigsmile:

TickTockMan

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 05:28 pm
@Reconstructo,
Here's an interesting thought on time:

If a person on this forum has 1000 posts, and each post averages 5 minutes,
this person has used up about 3 1/2 days of their life.

3000 posts: 10 1/2 days.

9000 posts: One month.

Imagine if this person averages 15 minutes per post. Given the length of
some posts I've read, some folks may be 30-45 minutes per post.

I didn't time how long it took me to write this post.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I think I'll just go stare at a blade of grass.

Mentally Ill

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 05:58 pm
@TickTockMan,
When I compare that number to the number of hours I spend looking at a TV it seems insignificant.

jeeprs

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 11:29 pm
@ikurwa89,
well, ticktock, surely this is a thread you must feel some affinity with.

Quote:
If Being is truly one (or more exactly, the One)-i.e., if it excludes diversity, all diversity-and therefore all change- i.e., if it is Eternity that annuls Time-if, I say, Being is the One, a man could not speak of it, Plato remarks. Indeed, Discourse would have to be just as one as the Being that it reveals, and there- fore could not go beyond the single word "one."

There is a similar understanding in Indian philosophy, to which this is related, which is that to even speak of a One, there must be another (namely, the one doing the speaking.) The key to understanding this type of discourse must be, surely, that it does not concern the 'realm of manifest existence'. It is referring to 'the causal realm' or 'the Spirit' - but with the important caveat that anything one says about it or thinks one knows about such a thing is bound to be completely incorrect. Of course these are matters most profound, even beyond the understanding of a Plato and many of the greatest minds in philosophy. I daresay from the viewpoint of secular modernism it makes no sense whatever and has been long relegated to the museum of ideas.
[/SIZE]

TickTockMan

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 12:31 am
@jeeprs,
Mentally Ill;152038 wrote:
When I compare that number to the number of hours I spend looking at a TV it seems insignificant.

Yet it all seems to add up to a life lived in a leaky bucket, ever-filling
with second-hand experiences but never full.

TV is the thief of time, video games are opiates providing dreams of
empty achievement. Even books are suspect according to some.

The philosopher's tale is often told by a parrot.

The unblazed trail is elsewhere, I think.

jeeprs;152171 wrote:
well, ticktock, surely this is a thread you must feel some affinity with.

There is a similar understanding in Indian philosophy, to which this is related, which is that to even speak of a One, there must be another (namely, the one doing the speaking.) The key to understanding this type of discourse must be, surely, that it does not concern the 'realm of manifest existence'. It is referring to 'the causal realm' or 'the Spirit' - but with the important caveat that anything one says about it or thinks one knows about such a thing is bound to be completely incorrect. Of course these are matters most profound, even beyond the understanding of a Plato and many of the greatest minds in philosophy. I daresay from the viewpoint of secular modernism it makes no sense whatever and has been long relegated to the museum of ideas.
[/SIZE]

You are speaking of the Observer and the Observed, and where one leaves off and the other takes up, I'm guessing?

This is a riddle that has always left me puzzled. Perhaps one should cast one's lot with multiple Spirits and let the oneironauts and psychonauts have the reins for a bit. Perhaps a taste of changa would set the secular modernists right.

But perhaps I'm just parroting a tale full of sound and fury.

jeeprs

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 12:59 am
@ikurwa89,
not at all. It is a very deep and profound issue. I mean, it is easy to dash off a few sentences about such things, but they are very deep issues. I have never really delved into the The Parmenides, but I am sure it is understood as one of the most difficult of Plato's works and is profoundly mystical. I have discovered a writer called Peter Kingsley who claims to have some kind of insight into it all, have bought one of his books on it, appropriately titled Reality, but haven't really gotten into it yet.

Wisdom Seeker

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 08:19 am
@ikurwa89,
For me:
Time: has beginning and has the end (duration) therefore it is countable
Timeless: eternity, it has no end, therefore it is uncountable

There are parts in the universe where time exist and does not exist
parts where time does not exist
(motionless,unstoppable,immovable,nothingness,darkness,unchangeable etc.)
parts where time exist
(living things, things in motion, kinetic energy, etc.)

TickTockMan

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 02:31 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;152181 wrote:
not at all. It is a very deep and profound issue. I mean, it is easy to dash off a few sentences about such things, but they are very deep issues. I have never really delved into the The Parmenides, but I am sure it is understood as one of the most difficult of Plato's works and is profoundly mystical. I have discovered a writer called Peter Kingsley who claims to have some kind of insight into it all, have bought one of his books on it, appropriately titled Reality, but haven't really gotten into it yet.

Thanks for the lead on Kingsley. I've just visited his website and there seem to be a number of interesting articles to read.

Sometimes I wonder if it's really as deep and profound as we make it out to be, or if all of the often Byzantine conduits through which the mystical tradition must travel is just a distraction, or a red herring, to conceal a truth that may be so remarkably simple that anyone could grasp it, yet so ontologically shocking that if everyone did grasp it our current paradigm would crumble like a mouthful of rotten teeth.

Then again, maybe it's so complicated and arcane to mask the truth that it's all just a metaphysical blivet. (this definition, not Wiki's: Urban Dictionary: blivet)

But speaking of Time and Reality, I'd be curious to know your take on the relationship between the two, lest the "What is Time" topic go too far astray . . .

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 05:05 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;152458 wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if it's really as deep and profound as we make it out to be, or if all of the often Byzantine conduits through which the mystical tradition must travel is just a distraction, or a red herring, to conceal a truth that may be so remarkably simple that anyone could grasp it, yet so ontologically shocking that if everyone did grasp it our current paradigm would crumble like a mouthful of rotten teeth.

This is great. I can't speak for mystics, but for me it's a matter of expression. For instance, painting and music versus coherent discourse. A painting of Venus or Christ or whoever has an emotional effect that words often lack, exactly because color is color, and not reducible to abstractions. It's qualia. It just is. And a music critic might be good, but he/she certainly can't give you the experience of the music. This is just one human's opinion, but I personally see mystics as folks with grand beautiful emotions, who do their best to translate these emotions in symbols. There are all sorts of myths that make perfect sense to me from this angle. Schelling wrote about the advantages that art had over philosophy, and from what I understand it's about the expression of the "infinite." Well, for me that infinite is better expressed as the un-sayable, or perhaps the unthinkable. But this doesn't exclude grand emotions...and I myself especially when young experienced bouts of such emotion, and Christian myth made sense in the light of that. Smile (As I became older I started to experience a more constant current of such emotion, but with a generally lower intensity. Schopenhauer writes well on this. The young man is forming abstractions of experience, and eventually he's got it pretty well mapped out, at least for practical purposes.

TickTockMan

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 05:19 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;152504 wrote:
It's qualia. It just is.

But of what use is qualia if the ego is dead? Some say this is the first key.

I am thinking of Agent Smith asking Neo "What good is a phone call if you cannot speak?"

I'll ask you as well as jeepers now: Speaking of Time and Reality, I'd be curious to know your take on the relationship between the two, lest the "What is Time" topic go too far astray . . .

onetwopi

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 12:03 am
@TickTockMan,
This thread has been a very interesting read so far ... some things I find interesting about time that have not been brought up so far (unless I missed them) ...
I find it interesting that time is directional and we only have access to the instant we are in. In other words, no matter what happens, we do not access the past or future, and we move only from the past into the future. I.e. you never see a dropped and splattered egg put itself back together.
And I think it is interesting that time is relative to the observer as proven by Albert Einstein's theory of special relativity (known as twin paradox). One of two twins takes off in a spaceship going near the speed of light and returns to find his twin aged much more than he did.

Cheers!

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:38:27