Is matter infinitely divisible?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

HexHammer

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 08:32 am
@diamantis,
diamantis;151264 wrote:
In my point of view, metaphysics is not about experimental findings, since technology continuously evolves, but about answering questions with logic the only instrument.
Don't really see how one can casually apply logic to greater unresolved questions, such as this thread's question.

But if you are really good with logic, please solve this logically problem which I'v presented for the forum. http://www.philosophyforum.com/lounge/general-discussion/7744-greater-logic.html

ThouAreThat

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 11:51 pm
@diamantis,
diamantis;82926 wrote:
[CENTER][CENTER]Thought experiment
(Deductive reasoning)
Syllogism [/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

PREMISE 1: MATTER OCCUPIES SPACE.

PREMISE 2: SPACE IS INFINITELY DIVISIBLE.

CONCLUSION: MATTER IS INFINITELY DIVISIBLE.

The undivided and the divided.

The timeless and spaceless cosmic undivided mind of light which must desire to give form of the self, has and is and will be

dividing the undivided self into the divided opposites of space and matter through time.

The division of the divine light into space forces the male/female divisions to unite through time to form matter suspended in

space. Just like the nebulae, galaxies, universes, suns, planets, beings, molecules and atoms.

Therefore, space is already the divided property of the ONE along with matter through time and no more divisable.

Matter is conceived, born, matures and disintegrates through time. Disintegration is in the exact opposite measure of its

integration.

Therefore, matter is NOT infinitely divisable.

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 01:05 pm
@ThouAreThat,
ThouAreThat;151678 wrote:
The undivided and the divided.

I think this is crucial issue. Is thinking itself necessarily divisive? I think it is. Are you familiar with Zeno's paradoxes? I think they show how tricky it is for our human minds to deal with continuity. And it also took us a long time, as a species, to develop calculus, with applies number (discrete) to motion/curves, which are continuous. From infinestimels to the limit concept. A strange and fascinating subject. And the number pi is also transcendental.

My avatar symbolizes this issue. I suggest that man is the collision of discrete thought/concept and continuous sensation/"qualia." This applies to the O.P. thus: matter is a concept, an abstraction. And it seems to me that all of our scientific concepts are abstractions. We apply this concept matter to sensation, which gives us measurement, etc. Strange and fasc. issue. Smile

---------- Post added 04-16-2010 at 02:07 PM ----------

ThouAreThat;151678 wrote:

Matter is conceived, born, matures and disintegrates through time. Disintegration is in the exact opposite measure of its

integration.

Therefore, matter is NOT infinitely divisable.

I suggest that time and matter are both concepts applied to sensation. Your second line reminds me of the Fundamental theorem of Calculus, that differentiation is the inverse of integration. Quite poetic, really. I also agree with your last line. We really can't think infinity. Like I said, Zeno is very sharp on this.

awareness

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 07:37 am
@diamantis,
Can infinity exist inside infinity?
or
Does infinity = infinity (yes)
I guess the answer to the question is yes. (no proof available)
(assuming that matter does exist???)

diamantis

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 04:30 am
@awareness,
awareness;153173 wrote:
Can infinity exist inside infinity?
or
Does infinity = infinity (yes)
I guess the answer to the question is yes. (no proof available)
(assuming that matter does exist???)

In my pont of view, assuming we accept that the infinitelly large - as space - exists, then why should't we accept its inverse, the infinitesimal of space, and consequently space continuum. Finally, we could attribute this infinitesimal to either space or matter, because both are equal candidates of its origin.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 04:29:47