Origin of Thought

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

trismegisto

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:02 pm
@Wisdom Seeker,
Wisdom Seeker;153232 wrote:
do other animals capable of thoughts aside from man?
if not then thoughts originated from man or its ancestor.

I don't have any objections to other forms of life having thoughts.

---------- Post added 04-17-2010 at 09:04 PM ----------

north;153400 wrote:
Quote:

actually I don't understand why you can't understand the thinking of being a hunter ?
odd really
just imagine hunting for food for your very survival , what skills would you need ?
think about it

I would probably rather just gather up some food, it doesn't put up as much of a fight. Hunting takes too much work

north

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:13 pm
@trismegisto,
Quote:
Originally Posted by north http://www.philosophyforum.com/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif
Quote:

actually I don't understand why you can't understand the thinking of being a hunter ?
odd really
just imagine hunting for food for your very survival , what skills would you need ?
think about it

Quote:

I would probably rather just gather up some food, it doesn't put up as much of a fight. Hunting takes too much work

yet it is hunting that got us to the point , of gathering

do not insult or make light our ancesters struggles

PhilosphicalME

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 01:49 am
@north,
I noticed you did not respond to the
questions about what exactly this meant, but someone offered what they thought.... I have to say I got something totally different... this quote seems so self explanatory to me... If you get a chance read the short discussion about what they thought this quote meant... and then please let me know WHAT did YOU mean by this quote...

north;149084 wrote:
the origin of thought

is the evolution of instinct

HexHammer

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 06:12 am
@trismegisto,
trismegisto;149052 wrote:
As science has yet to provide any evidence as to the origin of thought, what are your thoughts on the subject.

Perhaps the thoughts themselves are the thinkers.
Whenever I see something about mental abilities, sience only picture the brain, when they should picture the CNS too, along with organs.

Since should take celluar memory more seriously.

polpol

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 07:43 am
@trismegisto,
"If you limit yourself to your body, your body will be your limit."

That's well said.

---------- Post added 04-18-2010 at 10:56 AM ----------

"just imagine hunting for food for your very survival , what skills would you need ?
think about it"

North, I just got what you are saying. Hunting requires all the skills associated with thought, anticipation, observation, memory, imagination, plus social skills such as organisation,etc ...also hunting requires tools and to make the right tools we need to know a lot about the prey, its behaviour as well as its anatomy. Is that what you are saying?
"yet it is hunting that got us to the point , of gathering" This, I don't get. Can you explain?

noremac

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 10:46 am
@trismegisto,
Yo, Thoughts are an energy, therefore attributing to some law of a karmic nature and I mean karma in the same way that Sir Isac Newton's first law depicts. But I define the basis of my thoughts as an energy beyond big bang thoeries, yet I don't have a solid idea of what constituetes my body and its mind elements.

BUt please don't apply a time measurment to your mind, energy can exist beyond a possible regression to linear states and your mind definatly consists of this type of energy. If you wana know how minds elements work maybe cheak out a german mathematician called Libnitz and look at monad theory A monad is 'Your least divisable quanta of metaphysical energy'.

Cam:Glasses:

trismegisto

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 02:14 pm
@north,
north;153418 wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by north http://www.philosophyforum.com/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif
Quote:

odd really
think about it

yet it is hunting that got us to the point , of gathering

do not insult or make light our ancesters struggles

Gathering communities did not evolve out of hunting communities.
I am afraid you have your history confused.

---------- Post added 04-18-2010 at 01:17 PM ----------

polpol;153562 wrote:
"If you limit yourself to your body, your body will be your limit."

That's well said.

Thanks, I like it myself.

BrightNoon

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 02:28 pm
@north,
north;149141 wrote:
the behavior of the prey , is understood and therefore anticipated > thought , the origin of thought

I don't know that this statement says anything about the origin of thought. You are telling us about the nature of the first thought, not how it came into being. It seems reasonable to believe that the ability to anticipate the behavior of prey was the factor selected for evolutionairily, which therefore led to thought. But that is not really an explanation; it fails to explain why thought exists in BRAIN(2) but didn't in BRAIN(1). What changed in the brain from the more primitive to the later brain that allowed for thought?

Maybe this is not the intent of the thread, but it seems to me that asking 'what is the origin of thought' requires an answer that includes some solution to the mind-body problem.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 11:42:50