One-electron universe and god

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 04:58 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;129292 wrote:
I think this is a really important observation. I think the whole idea is that electrons - or subatomic particles - don't have AN IDENTITY. They are completely impossible to differentiate. Now this means that I don't think they exist in the same way that any 'corporeal objects'. Everything which exists has an identity - it is different to everything else; and it has parts. I think this is what 'existence' means, this is like the criteria that a thing has to meet to exist. Subatomic particles are real in a different way to existing things - they are not distinguishable in any way, and they have no parts. So I don't think they exist if existence is defined in this way.

I don't know why, but I feel this is important.

How about, "no entity without identity"? W.V. Quine.

Arjuna

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 05:34 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;129462 wrote:
Electrons have the characteristics of both wave and particle. When an electron shows up as a particle, we could say it's an entity. A wave though, isn't an entity. A wave is an aspect of whatever it is that's waving.

jeeprs

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 05:48 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;129462 wrote:

Very good! Spot on. I think this might be something well known to philosophy that I have not understood previously.

Mentally Ill

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 02:07 pm
@glasstrees,
I wrote a personal explanation of 'god' and this is essentially my understanding of reality too. You can peep it here:
http://www.philosophyforum.com/religion/evangelism/7146-my-personal-explanation-god-religion-4.html#post129533

I do think that, so far, our understanding of Quantum Mechanics is pointing towards infinite singularity (complete oneness of all things in the universe).

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:16:53