Introduction and The Philosophy Game

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Introduction and The Philosophy Game

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 03:30 am
Hello Everyone,

I don't regard myself as a Philosopher - although I'd have to say I'm not entirely sure what a Philosopher is, exactly - but last September my wife, who's been studying Philosophy for some years, started a part-time degree course in the subject.

At about the same time I got interested in learning how to program in Flash. I'm a Maths teacher, so not surprisingly I started by trying to write a few simple Maths games.

I also started a 'matching game' based on what you might call 'Philosophy Facts' (if there are such things?!?).

It's just a piece of fun, although it's served a useful purpose in teaching me a lot about how Flash works.

I'd like to share it with a wider audience, partly because others might enjoy it too, and also because experts might tell me how it could be improved.

Anyway, long story short, if anybody would be interested in taking a look, it can be played at www.sampollard.net/PhilosophyGame

Any feedback, positive or negative, gratefully received.

Thank You for reading this.

Best Wishes,

DD

Justin

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 11:46 am
@DiamondDog,
Welcome DiamondDog! Thanks for the introduction and checked out the game, sort of neat. Will try to take some more time to look these games over later. Hope to see you and your wife get involved in some of the ongoing discussions and please do enjoy the forum.

de budding

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 03:33 pm
@DiamondDog,
Hey and welcome, best I could get was 575 on Descartes. What level do you teach at?
Dan.

DiamondDog

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 03:50 pm
@de budding,
Thanks for trying it out, guys.

575 on Descartes is a pretty good score.

I think Portraits is the easiest (then again, it was the first part I wrote, so I've probably done that one the most while testing things).

Logic would be the most difficult, I'd say.

I teach Secondary school Maths, up to A-level.

Thanks again.

DD

Arjen

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 04:07 pm
@DiamondDog,
Hi! I had a lot of trouble with the logics. I use different notations you see. Smile

@ de budding:
I had 650 on descartes! :p

Smile

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 04:20 pm
@DiamondDog,
700 on Descartes in 30 seconds. Cool applications.

DiamondDog

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 11:49 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Thanks, Arjen. Different notations is an interesting point.

And Didymos, while I may not know what a Philosopher is, exactly, one thing's becoming clear: they're smarter than Maths teachers. Smile

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 10 May, 2008 06:07 pm
@DiamondDog,
Heh, you say that, but if you could have seen me struggle through my College Algebra course, you may have a very different opinion.

Aristoddler

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 02:27 pm
@DiamondDog,
Quote:

I don't regard myself as a Philosopher - although I'd have to say I'm not entirely sure what a Philosopher is, exactly...
the most honest thing anyone has ever said on this forum, I think.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Introduction and The Philosophy Game
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 10:04:19