Identity

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 12:44 pm
@Subjectivity9,
Subjectivity9;100835 wrote:
I think that when Heraclitis said, "You can't step into the same river twice," he was not speaking about a thing/object called river, and a person/object (ego me) stepping into that objective river. He was saying that both that river and that person were two different processes, and because they continually moved and change, they could never come together at the exact same point, ever again. (He might have even likened the river to time. That is my guess.)

S9

We know only what Heraclitus said. We have no idea what he meant except what he said. And, the issue is, in any case, not about what Heraclitus meant, but about what he said.

Subjectivity9

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 03:56 pm
@boagie,
Pathfinder,

If one reads what you say about identity on your blog, where would they answer you about what they think? Here on this thread?

S9

---------- Post added 10-31-2009 at 06:00 PM ----------

Ken,

Whenever we read anyone, what we believe they said is translated through our own subjective understanding of what they meant. This is the natural order of things.

S9

---------- Post added 10-31-2009 at 06:15 PM ----------

Shostakovich,

I quite agree that "the river" is a metaphor for life or finite time. Everything within finitude is a process, or as I have often said, “Life is not a noun. Life is a verb.” (AKA “Life is not material but rather action/movement.”) When something is movement, it is relatively more like a song and no one note is all of it. It is only in combination that you start to get some idea what it is, (this song/this life/this identity.) But you cannot stop the music and still have what it is, maybe like that river.

I think that like you say Identity can be very elusive. It is there, this we know. But, what is it?

My guess is that, Identity is not dependent upon anything to define it, but rather like an echo we pick it up in the air of our thoughts. So you, your essential self, does not require a classical piece to be what/who you are. But this classical piece works really well to mirror it for your conscious mind.

S9

kennethamy

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 05:13 pm
@Subjectivity9,
Subjectivity9;100908 wrote:

Ken,

Whenever we read anyone, what we believe they said is translated through our own subjective understanding of what they meant. This is the natural order of things.

S9

---------- Post added 10-31-2009 at 06:15 PM ----------

If someone says, I am going into the kitchen to make a ham sandwich" and, we understand English, then we will understand him as saying that he is going into the kitchen to eat a ham sandwich. Not that the world is round. The same goes for "we can never step into the same river twice". If that is the correct translation, then what is meant by that sentence is, that we can never step into the same river twice. And that is quite clearly false. I can step into the Hudson at Poughkeepsie, and then step into the Hudson at Albany.

Subjectivity9

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 05:40 pm
@boagie,
Ken,

If I say that I am going into the kitchen to eat a ham sandwich today, and tomorrow I say that I am going into the kitchen to have a have sandwich, again, everyone can make a great leap of faith that I probably won’t be that same ham sandwich both days, even though they share the same name “ham sandwich.”

Thus it is with a river. Call it anything you want, naming it does not capture it. A river is a living process, not a name. A river is subject to changes as are you. Every day the river is a new river. So although you may call a river, yesterday and today, by the very same name, the river is by no means identical both times and manifests differently.

We humans have some funny ideas about objectification and our power to make things into objects. Just because we think something is a material object doesn’t limit that thing to that definition.

S9

kennethamy

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 06:18 pm
@Subjectivity9,
Subjectivity9;100923 wrote:
Ken,

If I say that I am going into the kitchen to eat a ham sandwich today, and tomorrow I say that I am going into the kitchen to have a have sandwich, again, everyone can make a great leap of faith that I probably won't be that same ham sandwich both days, even though they share the same name "ham sandwich."

Thus it is with a river. Call it anything you want, naming it does not capture it. A river is a living process, not a name. A river is subject to changes as are you. Every day the river is a new river. So although you may call a river, yesterday and today, by the very same name, the river is by no means identical both times and manifests differently.

We humans have some funny ideas about objectification and our power to make things into objects. Just because we think something is a material object doesn't limit that thing to that definition.

S9

Of course the Hudson is the very same river on Tuesday, and on Wednesday. It is in the same place on the map. It is the same river Henry Hudson sailed on. Of course, the waters are very different. But so what? Don't you think that Henry Hudson sailed on the Henry Hudson River?

longknowledge

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 10:05 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;100927 wrote:
Of course the Hudson is the very same river on Tuesday, and on Wednesday. It is in the same place on the map. It is the same river Henry Hudson sailed on. Of course, the waters are very different. But so what? Don't you think that Henry Hudson sailed on the Henry Hudson River?

Your map must be very wet. "The map is not the terrritory" (Korzybski)

Did you know that the Hudson River at Albany is at sea level and that it has tides? The water at Poughkeepsie flows backwards at high tide. So the Hudson River is not a river, but rather an estuary, at least to the Troy Locks.

Henry Hudson never sailed on the Henry Hudson River nor on the Hudson River. The Mohecans called it Muheconneok, which means "from the waters that are never still."

You can't step in the same river once!

Shostakovich phil

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 10:34 pm
@longknowledge,
longknowledge;100939 wrote:

You've stated this above, and I concur, absolutely! Change is a constant process ... not made up of abstract moments or points of time.

Here's an excerpt from Bergson's Introduction to Metaphysics (I've quoted from this work in a separate thread). This is from, the Editor's Introduction to the work:

"Once we have grasped the inner nature of becoming, it is possible for us to understand that form of it which appears as movement in space. Consider the insoluble paradoxes which arise when the intellect endeavors to explain motion in terms of "points" and "instants." An illustration from the ancient philosopher, Zeno of Elea, will disclose the difficulty. Take the phenomenon of a flying arrow. It is easy to show, says Zeno, that it does not really move. For at each instant of its flgiht it occupies one and only one point of space. This means that at each instant the arrow must be at rest, since otherwise it would not occupy a given point at that instant. But its whole course is composed of such points. Therefore, the arrow does not acually move at all. Berson agrees that the argument as stated is irrefutable. What he denies is Zeno's assumption that the arrow can literally be at a point. But strictly speaking, the points in its trajectory are not real positions. They are "suppositions" of the intellect. Thus the moral to be drawn from Zeno's paradoxes is not that motion is impossible, but rather that it is impossible for the intellect to comprehend motion. Just as duration can never be "constructed" in terms of instants, so movement can never be "constructed" in terms of points. Both time and motion have to be apprehended intuitively."

Isn't it the same with our thinking we can step into the same river even once? We sometimes fail to grasp that change and movement is a constant.

longknowledge

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 11:02 pm
@Shostakovich phil,
Shostakovich;100945 wrote:
You've stated this above, and I concur, absolutely! Change is a constant process ... not made up of abstract moments or points of time.

Here's an excerpt from Bergson's Introduction to Metaphysics (I've quoted from this work in a separate thread). This is from, the Editor's Introduction to the work:

"Once we have grasped the inner nature of becoming, it is possible for us to understand that form of it which appears as movement in space. Consider the insoluble paradoxes which arise when the intellect endeavors to explain motion in terms of "points" and "instants." An illustration from the ancient philosopher, Zeno of Elea, will disclose the difficulty. Take the phenomenon of a flying arrow. It is easy to show, says Zeno, that it does not really move. For at each instant of its flgiht it occupies one and only one point of space. This means that at each instant the arrow must be at rest, since otherwise it would not occupy a given point at that instant. But its whole course is composed of such points. Therefore, the arrow does not acually move at all. Berson agrees that the argument as stated is irrefutable. What he denies is Zeno's assumption that the arrow can literally be at a point. But strictly speaking, the points in its trajectory are not real positions. They are "suppositions" of the intellect. Thus the moral to be drawn from Zeno's paradoxes is not that motion is impossible, but rather that it is impossible for the intellect to comprehend motion. Just as duration can never be "constructed" in terms of instants, so movement can never be "constructed" in terms of points. Both time and motion have to be apprehended intuitively."

Isn't it the same with our thinking we can step into the same river even once? We sometimes fail to grasp that change and movement is a constant.

Thanks! I wasn't aware of that passage. I'm glad that Bergson, or is it the editor, agrees with me.:bigsmile:

Pathfinder

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 05:35 am
@boagie,
S9,

I think my email is posted on that blog but I will be opening up a thread here when I am ready and I will not post the entire report but I will post a summary of it and open up a rather different way of looking at identity. I will notify everyone when I have it all ready.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 08:25 am
@longknowledge,
longknowledge;100939 wrote:
Your map must be very wet. "The map is not the terrritory" (Korzybski)

Did you know that the Hudson River at Albany is at sea level and that it has tides? The water at Poughkeepsie flows backwards at high tide. So the Hudson River is not a river, but rather an estuary, at least to the Troy Locks.

Henry Hudson never sailed on the Henry Hudson River nor on the Hudson River. The Mohecans called it Muheconneok, which means "from the waters that are never still."

But the Muheconneok river is the Hudson river. Just as Mark Twain was Samuel L. Clemens. Just as New York City was New Amsterdam. One and the same thing may have different names and still be the same thing. It is you who are not listening to (Korzybski, since you think that different names mean different things. And, that there are differences in the river at different places does not mean it is not the very same river. Why should it?

Shostakovich phil

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 12:41 pm
@longknowledge,
longknowledge;100949 wrote:
Thanks! I wasn't aware of that passage. I'm glad that Bergson, or is it the editor, agrees with me.:bigsmile:

Bergson agrees. I can't see how anyone could disagree.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 01:52 pm
@Shostakovich phil,
Shostakovich;100945 wrote:

Yes, things change, but why should that mean that the thing cannot persist (remain the same) through change? I don't see that Bergson denies this since I cannot make out what he is exactly saying, but, in case he does, he is wrong. If I were to lose one pound on a diet, I would clearly remain the same person I was before I lost that pound.

Subjectivity9

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 02:14 pm
@boagie,
Ken,

The reason that you would remain the same person, if you lost 1 pound, is because, you believe that your definition of you, is you. You believe that your word picture of Ken, his history, and the many adjectives ARE what you are.

This makes me think of a Hindu story that questions what part of a chariot is the actual chariot? Is it the wheels? If you take away the wheels, is it still a chariot. After removing one piece after another, it goes on to question at what point by removing piece by piece you would still have that same chariot?

If you did this same exercise with Ken, when would he too be lost in a pile of parts?

Now take a river, and remove the water from it cup full by cup full. How many cups are equal to that river?

Is it just the motion you say? Then keep those same cups in constant motion. Now are they the river?

What is a river if you cannot capture its water and/or its motion and simply reproduce it in your back yard?

S9

kennethamy

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 03:00 pm
@Subjectivity9,
Subjectivity9;101067 wrote:
Ken,

The reason that you would remain the same person, if you lost 1 pound, is because, you believe that your definition of you, is you. You believe that your word picture of Ken, his history, and the many adjectives ARE what you are.

This makes me think of a Hindu story that questions what part of a chariot is the actual chariot? Is it the wheels? If you take away the wheels, is it still a chariot. After removing one piece after another, it goes on to question at what point by removing piece by piece you would still have that same chariot?

If you did this same exercise with Ken, when would he too be lost in a pile of parts?

Now take a river, and remove the water from it cup full by cup full. How many cups are equal to that river?

Is it just the motion you say? Then keep those same cups in constant motion. Now are they the river?

What is a river if you cannot capture its water and/or its motion and simply reproduce it in your back yard?

S9

You have it just backwards. The reason I think that I believe I am the same person even when I have lost a pound is that it is true that I am the same person when I have lost a pound. What makes you think I am not?

After a while, the chariot would not be a chariot at all, but a pile of chariot parts. So there would be nothing to be the same chariot. But, as long as it was a chariot, it would be the same chariot. A chariot (of course) does not consist of just its parts, but of the organization of its parts, and how it functions. The Hindu has a simple-minded notion of what a chariot is.

The river is a geographical object. That is why the water can constantly change, but the river remain the same. Heraclitus had a simple-minded notion of what a river is.

Subjectivity9

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 03:01 pm
@boagie,
Shostakovich,

See this is the thing. We do not even know if there is an arrow, at/all, let alone if it is moving. What if it is a ‘dream arrow,’ much like we might come upon during REM? Then does the arrow have any material substance, or can it lay claim to any spot in space, or is it actually flying about in our bedroom, having motion? Proof during a dream would be insubstantial, after all would it not be dream proof, here and now, but “POOF,” gone upon waking?

Yes, “They are "suppositions" of the intellect,” and where does it stop? But not impossible to comprehend, even if it did turn out to be a dream's comprehension.

A good deal of what we comprehend is not necessarily true to what we believe it is. Most of what we think we know is simply patterns decided upon somewhere between our senses and our brain, and even the brain and our senses could easily be dreamed up instruments.

Beware of intuition. At what point does intuition become imagination?

This is why some people avoid metaphysics like a plague. Others of us take it as a challenge to both be alert and investigate these things personally. But you must be willing to let your investagation take away everything you thought you knew, and even if it comes to this leave you naked and alone.

This is the “Dark Night of the Soul.”

This is Socrate's wisdom, because of he knew that He didn't know.

This is where we step off the side of the earth or transcend.

S9

Shostakovich phil

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 05:29 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;101060 wrote:
Yes, things change, but why should that mean that the thing cannot persist (remain the same) through change? I don't see that Bergson denies this since I cannot make out what he is exactly saying, but, in case he does, he is wrong. If I were to lose one pound on a diet, I would clearly remain the same person I was before I lost that pound.

But you would have added experiences to yourself as you move through time and change, however minimal ... and in this, wouldn't your identity have been affected by these experiences? As we age, we also grow in kowledge (hopefully), and we experience more and are affected by more. This is why the metaphor of the River with its constant flow, the Idea may be the same in our mind, but the Reality is constant flow, with different molecules of water, etc. But yes, you are the same person throughout life ... but you can undergo changes in your character, hence, your identity. Let's say, even by hearing for the first time, a piece of music you had never heard before, and even though the change may be minimal. In some cases, the changes may be shattering (say a divorce or the death of a loved one) and destructive (walking across the street and getting run over by a bus), or creative and Identity enhancing.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 05:44 pm
@Shostakovich phil,
Shostakovich;101112 wrote:
But you would have added experiences to yourself as you move through time and change, however minimal ... and in this, wouldn't your identity have been affected by these experiences? As we age, we also grow in kowledge (hopefully), and we experience more and are affected by more. This is why the metaphor of the River with its constant flow, the Idea may be the same in our mind, but the Reality is constant flow, with different molecules of water, etc. But yes, you are the same person throughout life ... but you can undergo changes in your character, hence, your identity. Let's say, even by hearing for the first time, a piece of music you had never heard before, and even though the change may be minimal. In some cases, the changes may be shattering (say a divorce or the death of a loved one) and destructive (walking across the street and getting run over by a bus), or creative and Identity enhancing.

and in this, wouldn't your identity have been affected by these experiences?

Not in any sense I know. But, of course, you would have to explain to me what you mean by "identity". After all, I am the very same person who had the property of weighing more at T1, than I did at T2 both at T1, and at T2. So I had the very same property before I lost weight as when after I lost weight. So my properties did not change. I could not be the same person if my properties had changed, but as long as I index my properties to time, they do not change.

I know that people say things like, after his divorce he is a changed man. But that is not literally true. He is the very same person after the divorce and before the divorce. What is meant is that the divorce affected him in different ways. But that does not mean that A before the divorce and A after the divorce are not one and the same person.

Shostakovich phil

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 07:12 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;101116 wrote:

Quote:
I know that people say things like, after his divorce he is a changed man. But that is not literally true. He is the very same person after the divorce and before the divorce. What is meant is that the divorce affected him in different ways. But that does not mean that A before the divorce and A after the divorce are not one and the same person.[/[/QUOTE]

I think I am the same person all along, from one moment to the next. But how do we account for what we learn. Say, someone goes through a learning experience under the guidance of teachers, and afterwards like Beethoven has learned to master musical composition ... has his identity not changed? This does not mean the person would be a new person, or a new identity, it means just that their identity has undergone a transition, from a before (not knowing how to compose) to an after (knowing how to compose) ... and so it would be with whatever we come to know throughout life, including whatever experiences have gone to forming our identity. These transformations we undergo however do not eradicate the fact that we are still the same person we were from birth. I see identity as not fixed, but something undergoing a transformation ... and we become what we make of ourselves, for better or worse. Or am I then confusing terms like identity and character. Are they the same?

kennethamy

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 07:20 pm
@Shostakovich phil,
Shostakovich;101125 wrote:
kennethamy;101116 wrote:

I think I am the same person all along, from one moment to the next. But how do we account for what we learn. Say, someone goes through a learning experience under the guidance of teachers, and afterwards like Beethoven has learned to master musical composition ... has his identity not changed? This does not mean the person would be a new person, or a new identity, it means just that their identity has undergone a transition, from a before (not knowing how to compose) to an after (knowing how to compose) ... and so it would be with whatever we come to know throughout life, including whatever experiences have gone to forming that identity. These transformations we undergo however do not eradicate the fact that we are still the same person we were from birth. I see identity as not fixed, but something undergoing a transformation ... and we become what we make of ourselves, for better or worse. Or am I then confusing terms like identity and character. Are they the same?

The issue is persistence through change. How does something remain numerically the same, although qualitatively different. And what does this mean? Character, of course develops from childhood through adulthood.

Shostakovich phil

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 07:41 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;101127 wrote:
Shostakovich;101125 wrote:

The issue is persistence through change. How does something remain numerically the same, although qualitatively different. And what does this mean? Character, of course develops from childhood through adulthood.

Peristence through change is an intelligible concept to me. What we can then say is the identity remains the very same (constant throughout life). if we equate it with that which persists within us. The only thing (if it be a thing) that I can see as persisting, is life. To equate identity with unchanging persistence I would have to then say identity is synonymous with that thing that gives, or that is life. Is this thing that gives life, spirit? Or is it something physical? Whichever it is, it would then be identitical to identity, if we look at identity as being persistent, and unchanging. So we remain the same identity, but our character is not the same.

I suppose then it is a question of semantics or linguistics. What do we really mean by identity? Life? Character?

The subject can become confusing if we jumble our definitions.

But I can agree with the idea of Identity persisting ... remaining the same; and allow for the character that goes with this identity as that which undergoes change. But we still haven't gotten to the root of what Identity is, have we? This is why it always arises as a subject of controversy and debate in philosophy.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 11:27:27