Mind and body (Freud)

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Metaphysics
  3. » Mind and body (Freud)

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 10:59 am
This is a vital piece of evidence (perhaps even proof) that there is an intrinsic separation between mind and body.

It concerns Freud's (and Jung's) analysis of the mind into 3 core parts : Ego, Id, and Superego.

Briefly : Id is the instincts, Ego the "I", and Superego the conscience.

These vital aspects of mind simply cannot be disputed. (Though many of you will no doubt try). And yet they have absolutely NO direct connection to the brain.

Even more vital, is the distinction between consciousness, subconsciousness and unconsciousness. Once more, the connection between these aspects of mind have no direct correlation to the brain.

Now some aspects may have indirect connections to the brain.
But nowhere in the brain is there a singular object that can be always mapped as the seat of the "I".

"I"-ness moves all over the brain, body and external world. When a part of the brain is damaged; the faculty that is associated with it can move to another part of the brain. Its similar to the way in which if your correct hand is amputated, you just learn to use your other hand for the tasks required.

Kielicious

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 12:57 pm
@Poseidon,
Im not quite following here.

Transactional Analysis also conveys three distinct ego states as Parent, Adult, Child. Does that mean they are in agreement with you? Just because our personalities are not static, that somehow implies that the mind is distinct from the brain??? Neural plasticity --> Immaterial 'I'?

richard mcnair

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 07:56 pm
@Poseidon,
Excellent post... unfortunately little study of the actual mind goes on anymore. Modern psychiatric practice is pretty much based around trying to drug the patient to the point where he can't actually think about the life problems causing his illness, and then somehow try to make out that he is well again. Us cartesian dualists can perhaps in future hope to resurrect the study of the transcendental organ of the mind, rather than the phenomenal organ of the brain.

Krumple

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 08:06 pm
@richard mcnair,
richard_mcnair;106749 wrote:
Excellent post... unfortunately little study of the actual mind goes on anymore. Modern psychiatric practice is pretty much based around trying to drug the patient to the point where he can't actually think about the life problems causing his illness, and then somehow try to make out that he is well again. Us cartesian dualists can perhaps in future hope to resurrect the study of the transcendental organ of the mind, rather than the phenomenal organ of the brain.

There's more money in selling the drug for long term treatment, than to try and fix the actual problem.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Metaphysics
  3. » Mind and body (Freud)
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 09:27:30