Who knows Adler?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 11:44 am
I just retired from a 34 year career as an educator. 23 of those years were spent as a principal. Several times in my career, and with some success, I implemented Adler's Paideia Proposal principles in the schools with which I was associated. Unfortunately, in our school system at least, political considerations always take prededence over educational ones. The program was never encouraged or supported by the system. It is, however, a program based on Aristotelian concepts and Socratic dialectic. I feel it is the best idea out there in the field of educational reform. Is there anyone out there who has had any experience with Mortimer Adler's Paideia Proposal? Does anyone know where it is being implemented, if at all? I would appreciate any feedback. Joe Carbia, Miami, Fl

Electra phil

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 10:14 pm
@Joe Carbia,
Hi Joe and Happy Holidays.

This is the first time I have heard of Adler and the Paideia Proposal. After looking briefly at the website, I am a bit unclear what is exactly different about this type of education, but I would like it to discuss it with you.

I personally believe that our current education system does not benefit the human being to actualize his or her true potential. After my recent experiences with the "Indigo Children" I am hearing an outcry for nothing less than a revolution in education from these wide awake young people.

We have examined the Waldorf system, Montessori, Krishnamurti's philosophy on educating (holistic education) among many others. I am also witnessing a devotion in some sectors to changing education in a way that looks toward a complete uplifting of society to higher ideals.

It is nice to meet you and I would love to hear more about what you think and have experienced.

Justin

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 09:04 pm
@Joe Carbia,
Welcome to the Philosophy Forum Joe! Glad you joined.

I'm with Electra as I've never heard of this. After a quick glance and a google search, it looks interesting. It's so important that we have productive teaching methods and systems in place and equally important that we have teachers that are qualified to teach. It seems that many of the students of today are far more advanced than the teachers. This is an important issue and I look forward to further discussion in this.

Nice meeting you and we appreciate you bringing into this forum your experience and background in education.

Passer Outre

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2007 06:43 pm
@Joe Carbia,
Joe Carbia wrote:
Does anyone know where it is being implemented, if at all? I would appreciate any feedback. Joe Carbia, Miami, Fl

In a PC age I'd guess Adler isn't being greeted warmly, but it is something I'm curious about, as well. I do know he was an ardent supporter of the "dead white guys" school of classical education (and why not?), and his dialectical approach has a great deal to say for it. In my brief encounter with his writing, though, I always felt he was borrowing very heavily from Martin Buber...

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 07:53:32