Uncertainty about uncertainty

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

GHOST phil

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 11:56 pm
@Bones-O,
Khethil wrote:
[INDENT]The possible choices I have on my menu before me still exist and I will still choose of my own accord, I'm simply not aware of the near-infinite variables involved that will lead me to that decision. This doesn't mean I don't have a choice; Even if I could know all the variables that'll ultimately lead me to that decision, I'd still have a choice. Despite how it 'feels', these aren't mutually-exclusive.
[/INDENT]
This statement just doesn't hold, I think "click here" was correct in saying:
click here wrote:
Ummm no? If the variables lead you to the choice you have no choice or else the variables didn't lead you to that choice. If you still have a choice you can not have calculated the variables correctly.

click here wrote:

It is not that you are predicting. You are calculating. If EVERYTHING is put into the massive equation there is only ONE final out come. You can't add 2+2 and get 7. You will always get 4. When you calculate everything you don't end up with 2 choices at the end of your calculation or you seriously messed up. Or are you saying that you calculate everything to one response and then choose something else? Well then again you messed up your calculations.

Khethil wrote:

Here's my qualifier and what I think is the Key: We can't know all the variables involved in events, actions or decisions; there's simply too much to take into account - too much to weigh. As you mentioned with your electron-predictability point, there are some aspects of physics we simply can't predict. This does not invalidate the cause-and-effect principle at all, it simply says we haven't the means by which to exploit it to its logical permutation.
Something hit me when you said, "there's simply too much to take into account - too much to weigh", I thought about chaos theory, and it's assumption that when a system reaches a certain level of complexity, it breaks into total, probabilistic, uncertain and undeterministic chaos. The results of a system are chaotic, even if we do know all the variables involved in the events, actions or decisions, we simply can't predict the outcome. Now, I postulate, that we do in fact have free-will, and it is because the amount of variables involved in our decisions, make it so complex that it is extremely chaotic, undeterministic, and unpredictable, therefor, there is no causality and no underlying factor that can be used to state we have no free-will. We are simply so complex, our decisions are our own, and no one, no matter how much they know about us, will be able to predict exactly what we will do next.
Oh! wrote:

My own current thinking is that there are no particles, because the universe is fundamentally an indivisible whole. There are no individual objects, there are also no individual events, and therefore ultimately no causation, all these things are extremely useful fictions, partial descriptions of aspects of the universe as we experience them. If our experience was removed from the picture, the universe would be a very different thing, and we find it difficult to appreciate how different.

I agree with you totally, everything is connected at the most fundamental level, there are no separate objects, things only appear to be separate because they make up a denser portion of this indivisible whole, and we are unable to view, from our level, the fundamental energy that makes our universe a "web" of interconnected energy, and particles do become a very useful fiction indeed.
kennethamy wrote:

Well your view that there are no particles is not one held by most scientists, so I will have to go along with them. It is hard to see why the postulation of particles would be so useful unless it was true.

I actually think scientists now know that everything is made of vibrating energy, there are no particles, only extremely complex "knots" of dense, vibrating energy. I'm not sure about this though.
Bones-O! wrote:

I think anyone who accepts QM has already accepted that the universe is very different to our experience of it. I'm not sure, though, how those experiences would arise out of your indivisible universe theory. My experiences are not your experiences, and yet both exist in the universe. If the universe is indivisible, why do our experiences seem utterly separated?
Because they are separated, but they are still connected, each consciousness has its own experiences, but those experiences are still connected in a way.
Oh! wrote:

My suggestion is that particles are a very useful fiction. The universe is actually indivisible, but we have the ability to make countless artificial distinctions. I think this is initially a passive ability, I think it comes to us as a consequence of consciousness, but higher animals can also actively exploit it. All objects are fictional in this sense, but the fictions are so useful and so densely woven into our existence that we are inclined to assume they are "true".

I find it interesting that scientists and others want to defend the existence of particles, even when the entities in their theories don't seem to have the qualities of particles as we think of them in everyday life. They are wave/particles. Bones-O, if I remember rightly, said he thinks they are more like waves than some other physicists think (I speak very loosely). Some theories talk about wavicles, or strings, and then there are ideas about distant events being linked at this particulate level. Do scientists really believe in particles at all?
No, I don't think they do believe in particles at all, I also find it funny that some physicists try to defend the existence of particles, I think it is more than obvious that everything is made of energy at some point, just pure, unadulterated, warping of space, and when this space "knots" it's self up, you have stable energy system, unable to decay, a particle is just a twisted and warped piece of space, tied into an stable "energy ball", giving the appearance of a solid object from our level. It seems to me that the photo-electric effect, the release of binding energy when atoms are broken up, and the fact that when a meson (a pair of only two quarks) is pulled apart, so when the two quarks are pulled apart from each other, it's gets harder and harder to pull, until eventually their bond breaks and they turn into 4 quarks, so to mesons, this two me implies that when the bond breaks, the potential energy created from pulling them apart contributes to creating the new quarks in each meson, which are particles apparently. It's just the conversion of energy from one form to another. They can talk about wave-particles, wavicles or what ever, but it's clear they are moving towards one thing. Waves of energy.
Oh! wrote:

Some of the leading scientists in the current paradigm are searching for the fundamental particle: what if there isn't one? If the universe is fundamentally just one thing, we could find smaller and smaller effects at a smaller and smaller scale, ad infinitum.
Yep, there is only one thing, energy, and you can get infinitely small amounts of it, there is no quanta of energy involved in space warpage.
Oh! wrote:

One of our experiences is the experience of being an individual persisting over time. You're right, our experiences are separated, nobody else could have my childhood memories, even if I lost them.
No one can experience the things that led to you having memories in your mind just because they are connected to you, we are all still separate entities, but we are all still connected, like sub-systems in this whole, indivisible, universal system.

Oh phil

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 04:18 am
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:

By the way, it was a just flippant comment that you're taking waaaaay too seriously. But I can defend it if you want me to, if it's really, really important to you personally. :a-ok:

No no, that won't be necessary or useful, I just won't take what you say seriously in future.

Oh phil

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 04:19 am
@GHOST phil,
GHOST wrote:

No one can experience the things that led to you having memories in your mind just because they are connected to you, we are all still separate entities, but we are all still connected, like sub-systems in this whole, indivisible, universal system.

Hi Ghost,

How are our experiences connected?

Lord Lucan

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 05:24 am
@Lord Lucan,
Of course particles exist - in the minds of those who postulate them to explain phenomena. But then, how else could anything be demonstrated to exist?

GHOST phil

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 09:03 am
@Oh phil,
Oh! wrote:
Hi Ghost,
How are our experiences connected?

Hello Oh! Smile,

Well, I could first try and explain how everything in the universe is connected at some fundamental level, but I'm not even going to begin to attempt it. I think that our experiences are defiantly affected by others experiences, not so much connected, like one great conscious mind or something (well, if we were, I would consider that mind, the mind of God), but we all have an effect on one another. I don't want to start making wild assumptions and sound like a loony, but I think telepathy is an example of how our minds are connected, and I think on a subconscious level we know exactly what someone is thinking, and this is interpreted by our conscious mind in some way, we get vibes about the emotions they are feeling, like when animals instinctively smell fear on someone, they can sense the vulnerability and use it to their advantage. I know that when someone is angry, even if they aren't showing it, I act cautiously around them, until I can sense that their mind is easing and relaxing, and I know they aren't going to snap when I say something. Say you are taking part in some sort of group activity, something that brings out emotions, do you often feel that everyone is on the same wavelength? I also expand this idea onto a world wide scale - the more suffering, wars, violence and crime that is happening in the world, affects everyone on the planet in some way. Have you heard of the random number generators and 9/11? I hope you can sort of relate to some of the things I have said.Smile

Bones-O

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 09:07 am
@Oh phil,
Oh! wrote:
No no, that won't be necessary or useful, I just won't take what you say seriously in future.

No skin off my nose.

Lord Lucan wrote:

Could you possibly enlarge on this? I don't really understand how the breakdown of determinism is affected in this way. I probably lack the background so any pointers would be very gratefully accepted.

Sorry Lord Lucan (there you are!!!), I didn't see your post til now. The collapse of the wavefunction can be taken two ways: a) a required postulate of QM, or b) an admission of its incompleteness. (b) doesn't go down too well, so...

I can perhaps illustrate better than explain. I'll give two examples.

Let's say we have a charged particle in a box 1 m wide but we can measure inside it to a greater precision (say 1 nm) by applying an electric field across the box and using a voltmeter to measure changes in it. Now say we start with a positive measurement (particle found). The particle is then necessarily, at most, 1 nm wide. We switch off the field and can predict the shape and size of the wavefunction at any time after. This can grow to the size of the box. However, when we measure again, we still only measure presence or absence in a 1 nm region. Where we find the particle to be is entirely probabilistic: we cannot predict which 1 nm region it will fall into. This is the collapse of the wavefunction: it is unpredictable and assumed to be instantaneous. However, if we measure many, many times, we start to see a pattern in these seemingly random measurements: the measurement frequency for each position starts to look like the (square of the) wavefunction we found by deterministic time-evolution.

Another kind of probabilistic collapse deals with other variables such as the energy of a system. We measure a particular energy, but after measurement the system may time-evolve into many states with different energies simultaneously. However when we measure again, we only measure one particular state. A good example is an excited hydrogen atom, where the electron is in a higher orbit than necessary. After measurement, the electron will deterministically evolve into a superposition of its measured state and the lower ones. When we measure again, we find the atom to be in a particular state. Which one, we can't predict: we can only say which what probability that state will be measured.

I hope that explains it well enough.

Lord Lucan

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 03:43 am
@Lord Lucan,
Bones-O! wrote:
I hope that explains it well enough.

I think that it probably does explain it in that I can now imagine much better how it works. As you and Khetil suggest in earlier posts, there don't seem to be any obvious real implications for causality. God probably does have better things to do than spend his time collapsing all those wave functions. It seems like an awful lot of very detailed and boring work to get involved in. If I were Him, I think I would probably design a computer system to do it.

Thanks for your help. Glad to hear your nose is OK.

click here

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 12:03 pm
@GHOST phil,
GHOST wrote:

Something hit me when you said, "there's simply too much to take into account - too much to weigh", I thought about chaos theory, and it's assumption that when a system reaches a certain level of complexity, it breaks into total, probabilistic, uncertain and undeterministic chaos. The results of a system are chaotic, even if we do know all the variables involved in the events, actions or decisions, we simply can't predict the outcome. Now, I postulate, that we do in fact have free-will, and it is because the amount of variables involved in our decisions, make it so complex that it is extremely chaotic, undeterministic, and unpredictable, therefor, there is no causality and no underlying factor that can be used to state we have no free-will. We are simply so complex, our decisions are our own, and no one, no matter how much they know about us, will be able to predict exactly what we will do next.

How do you justify free will? So if everything is chaos how do you make sense of this chaos? What part of your body is 'making' a decision?

I don't see how one can justify free will without some sort of intangible essense i.e. (soul)

Where does something like a volcano which has no free will become something like a human that 'has free will'. When did this transformation take place and how do you prove that this is truly 'free will' rather then assuming it must be because you haven't been 'proven' other wise?

paulhanke

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 02:53 pm
@click here,
... yet another way of considering free will:

paulhanke wrote:
... my best guess is that consciousness is an emergent process that appears due to the complex web of interactions of lower-level emergent processes in the brain, which in turn appear due to the complex web of interactions of even lower-level emergent processes - an emergent chain which you can trace all the way down to an emergent process that appears due to a complex web of chemical interactions: life ... and just like the emergent process of life, there is an element of feedback ("downward causation", if you will) where these emergent processes constrain the interactions of the lower-level entities from which they appear in a self-sustaining cycle ... for the emergent process of life, we call this self-sustaining downward causation "autopoiesis"; and if consciousness is indeed an emergent process, do we call this self-sustaining downward causation "conscious will"? Wink

hammersklavier

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 08:02 am
@Lord Lucan,
I've been trying to figure out what everyone's arguments are, but I haven't had any luck! I have to say, this thread thoroughly confuses me...

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 09:09:03