The Present and its Derivatives

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

paulhanke

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 07:08 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
On what basis? If reality from one perspective can be wrong, why would a statistical generalization of many potentially flawed ideas be right? According to that logic, if 99.999% of the population believe that lead floats on water, then it does.

... I think you're confusing intersubjectivity with something else here ... if the government comes out an tells the population that lead floats on water, and 99.999% believe the government, that's propaganda - but that doesn't mean that lead floats on water ... if, however, 99.999% of the population goes to a lake, throws in a piece of lead, and it floats, then the intersubjective reality is that lead floats on water ...

BrightNoon wrote:
What is a faller? I think you mean a person able to observe, measure and record the airborne vibration, or the movement of the tree, etc.

... nope - I just mean a faller ... something that falls ... like all the things that fell for the eight billion years before life finally evolved on Earth and produced an observer ... (P.S. I can put "fell" in scare quotes if you like in order to indicate that "fall" is a human interpretation of certain kinds of physical occurrences!) ...

BrightNoon wrote:
Measurements of vibrations are meaingless until someone interprets them.

... agreed - but do physical things have to have meaning assigned to them before they can happen? ...

BrightNoon wrote:
The act of interpretation itself employs the senses (reading the meter e.g.), and the concept drawn from such raw data rests on sensual experience; if we had not ourselves moved around, bumped into things and lived in the sensual world, what would vibrations or pressure waves mean to us?

... well put! Smile

BrightNoon wrote:
Events may well occur independent of our perception of them (I would guess so), but the point here is that that cannot be known. On the other hand, I do know that my own experiences exist.

... as you say, "event" is a human idea ... it is a rational component of what humans call "experience" ... there are other components to human experience - some emotional, some subconscious, some instinctive, and so on ... if you take away the human, all of these disappear (at least in their human incarnations) ... what does not disappear is the rest of the universe ... and it is our bodily contact and interaction with the rest of the universe that grounds our intersubjective experiences ...

Kielicious

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 07:18 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
He is said to have travelled into the future by whom? What does that even mean? Are you serious? ...:sarcastic:

you certainly have an attitude to criticism dont you? Rhetorical.

Says science.

Sergei Avdeyev - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gott Ya: Astrophysicist J. Richard Gott on Time Travel and Presidential Polling : Scientific American Podcast

Hey look, I can use smillies to belittle you as well.:sarcastic:

Need I say more? Do some research yourself...

BrightNoon wrote:
Exactly. That cannot be known.

Yes it can and once again science shows it. Percpetions come from the brain. The mind comes from the brain. Consciousness cannot exist independently from the brain. Why is this so hard to understand?

You claim alot, why should I believe you? Do you even have any evidence to support these assertions?

BrightNoon

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 07:42 pm
@Kielicious,
Kielicious,
What does it mean for someone to travel into the future? Nothing. I'm familiar with the theory of relativity, it isn't relevant to this discussion. By my definition, the future is 'that which has yet to happen.' Therefore, by definition, one cannot travel into the future, as that would entail experiencing what has yet to be experienced. That is NONSENSE in the strictest, non-derogatory sense of the word.

Quote:
Percpetions come from the brain. The mind comes from the brain. Consciousness cannot exist independently from the brain.

How does a brain create perceptions? How does a material thing give rise to an immaterial thing? Short answer; it dosen't, there are no things, only mental constructions.

Scientific research indicates that certain brain functions relate to certain mental functions. They cannot explain the mechanism though, and not because they havn't done enough research. It is an impossibility. It makes no sense at all. Material things do not afffect immaterial things.

William

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 07:46 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon, Thank you for elaborating. If I might comment. You following statement...
"It all comes down to one thing. You never live in or experience anything but the present. So what do we mean when we talk about the past or the future? When we say 'the tree fell down yesterday' or picture that situation, are we experiencing that tree falling down? No. We are experiencing at that moment an idea, which happens to be that of 'tree falling down."

Perhaps it is the words you are using that is confusing me. The "tree falling down is not "an idea", IMO, it is an "event" that either happened or it didn't. I don't consider it an "idea". If in fact we did experience the tree fall, it just is. Period. We are not "experiencing that moment" we are remembering it. On the other had if another said a tree fell down. what you espouse has merit and then we create the illusion of a tree falling based on what that means to us. It virtually means "nothing". If it is a witnessed fact, it can be trusted and relied upon, whether it is useful is another question. If one had never experienced a tree falling down then the "imagination" comes into play. And yes they are all manifested in the fleeting present or the now which is truly all there is. The past is extremely important to the now if we can extract the "truth" from it.

Using the words "idea and illusion" is what is throwing me as I am efforting to determine what you are trying establish. I do agree we are the sum total of what is in our mind. The only thing that can be truly relied upon is what we personally experienced. That is our truth. Anything else is an illusion and whether it can be trusted is a toss up. Are there any other words you could have used other than "idea or illusion"?
William

paulhanke

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 07:56 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
Scientific research indicates that certain brain functions relate to certain mental functions. They cannot explain the mechanism though, and not because they havn't done enough research. It is an impossibility. It makes no sense at all. Material things do not afffect immaterial things.

... before you two guys who enjoy a good fight really start scrapping it out, let me interject one thing: scientific research grounded in Aristotelian substance and Cartesian dualism consistently runs into this problem, whereas scientific research grounded in process metaphysics and embodied cognition is making strides ...

Kielicious

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 07:57 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
Kielicious,
What does it mean for someone to travel into the future? Nothing. I'm familiar with the theory of relativity, it isn't relevant to this discussion. By my definition, the future is 'that which has yet to happen.' Therefore, by definition, one cannot travel into the future, as that would entail experiencing what has yet to be experienced. That is NONSENSE in the strictest, non-derogatory sense of the word.

You said the future doesnt exist and yet I should you it does.... Do I need to connect the dots for you? Geez.

BrightNoon wrote:
How does a brain create perceptions? How does a material thing give rise to an immaterial thing? Short answer; it dosen't, there are no things, only mental constructions.

Clearly you have been reading too much Descartes.

Ill ask you some trivial questions:

If the brain and consciousness arent related then why does damage to your brain cause damage to your consciousness?

If I hit you in the head and knock you unconscious how can that be if the mind and brain are seperate?

Why does stimulating certain parts of the brain effect your mind, your sensations, your percpetions?

Why do drugs effect your perceptions if its all biochemical interactions?

....Im quite sure you havent taken one psychology or neuroscience course have you?

BrightNoon

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 08:10 pm
@Kielicious,
[quote=paulhanke]... I think you're confusing intersubjectivity with something else here ... if the government comes out an tells the population that lead floats on water, and 99.999% believe the government, that's propaganda - but that doesn't mean that lead floats on water ... if, however, 99.999% of the population goes to a lake, throws in a piece of lead, and it floats, then the intersubjective reality is that lead floats on water ...[/quote]

Let's consider this example. Bob and his 100 million friends are sitting in a big room. Everyone in the room except bob believes that the walls, floor and ceiling are painted white. Bob believes that the walls, floor and ceiling are made of French toast. I believe you are suggesting that Bob's experience is wrong because it disagrees with what is considered a sufficient number of other experiences. Here is what I'm saying. If Bob's experience can be wrong when he thinks its right, why couldn't the 100 million other experiences be wrong? There is no standard by which to judge any experience and a statistical generalization is not necessarily accurate. If the majority of people were in error, it would be less accurate.

There is no distinction between this and the example with lead. Per your logic, that the sum of all perspectives must reflect a more accurate picture of reality than any one perspective, a population convinced that lead floats would be correct. The lone man who thought otherwise would be incorrect.

[quote]... nope - I just mean a faller ... something that falls ... like all the things that fell for the eight billion years before life finally evolved on Earth and produced an observer ... (P.S. I can put "fell" in scare quotes if you like in order to indicate that "fall" is a human interpretation of certain kinds of physical occurrences!) ...[/quote]

This is an assumption, which is fine if you acknowledge it as such. No one observed those events. They exist only in the minds of people who think about things like this (that is all we know for sure; those events could have happened, but we do not know).

[quote]... agreed - but do physical things have to have meaning assigned to them before they can happen? ...[/quote]

Until meaning is assigned to them, they do not exist. What do we refer to when we say 'they': a meaningless event that cannot be understood in terms of anything we have ever experienced? If so, then we are talking about nothing. If not, then the 'thing happening' is dependent on the thing having meaning, which can only be given it by us.

[quote]... as you say, "event" is a human idea ... it is a rational component of what humans call "experience" ... there are other components to human experience - some emotional, some subconscious, some instinctive, and so on ... if you take away the human, all of these disappear...[/quote]

Yes, I agree.

[quote]what does not disappear is the rest of the universe ... and it is our bodily contact and interaction with the rest of the universe that grounds our intersubjective experiences ...[/quote]

This is an assumption. The universe appears to disappear. We can not know whether it remains or not. Fact; we have sensation. Assumptions; when we have a sensation, we are sensing something, Or, there is more to a sensation than the sensation itself.

BrightNoon

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 08:32 pm
@Kielicious,
(1) You have not demonstrated that the future exists; you have said that the future exists.

(2) What does it mean for an cosmonaut to travel into the future? Could he tell me who will win the lottery if he stayed in orbit long enough? Did the cosmonaut experience something which had not yet happened? Relativity deals with 'time travel' as a issue of perspective, not cartoon style time travel. If the experience of time is relative to one's perspective (velocity for example), there is no absolute Time through which one could travel. Rather, people just experience their own experiences (or could if travelling fast enough) at different rates. Bringing this back to earth; that experience is still present experience. No one could experience their own future; that is NONSENSE, once again. By NONSENSE, I mean that that statement has no meaning. It is like this; 'the dog is waved yellow'. That has a subject and a verb, but it dosen't mean anything.

(3) If you are to claim that A causes B, you have to know how A causes B. More importantly, there has to be the possibility of A causing B. Science asserts that every effect has a cause. Science only deals in physical things. Equations and quantitative analyses are innaplicable to the feeling of warmth, e.g. Science can only deal in molecules, atoms, photons, electrons, etc.

You assert that the cause of consciousness is the physical brain. I ask you to explain how this might occur even hypothetically, using empirical science. In other words, explain the causation with reference only to physical objects. O, you can't? That is because the last item on the would-be causal chain is not a physical thing. Science only accounts for physical things.

(4) If you think I have read too much Descartes, you have read too little. I'm not advocating cartesian dualism. I am opposing the purely physical/objective/empiric world-view with a purely subjective/individual/existential world-view.

paulhanke

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 08:32 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
There is no standard by which to judge any experience and a statistical generalization is not necessarily accurate. If the majority of people were in error, it would be less accurate.

... actually, statistical generalization is the standard ... as you say, induction is not foolproof - but it's the best that science has to offer ...

BrightNoon wrote:
There is no distinction between this and the example with lead. Per your logic, that the sum of all perspectives must reflect a more accurate picture of reality than any one perspective, a population convinced that lead floats would be correct. The lone man who thought otherwise would be incorrect.

... not quite - what I'm saying is that the sum of all intersubjective experiences should reflect a more accurate picture of intersubjective reality than any one intersubjective experience ... perspectives are like opinions - everybody's got one Wink

BrightNoon wrote:
This is an assumption, which is fine if you acknowledge it as such. No one observed those events. They exist only in the minds of people who think about things like this (that is all we know for sure; those events could have happened, but we do not know).

... actually, it's quite a bit more than an assumption - it's a scientific theory ... (that being said, scientific theories are nothing more than inductive assumptions!) ...

BrightNoon wrote:
Until meaning is assigned to them, they do not exist. What do we refer to when we say 'they': a meaningless event that cannot be understood in terms of anything we have ever experienced? If so, then we are talking about nothing. If not, then the 'thing happening' is dependent on the thing having meaning, which can only be given it by us.

... that's a little anthropocentric, don'tcha think? ... even if humans disappeared tomorrow, wouldn't the experience of apes, dogs, birds, etc. keep things going? ... but even that is a bit too terracentric for me ... and it seems to ignore the kinds of experience (e.g., study of the traces of past events that have been left behind in the present) that lead to scientific theories such as the evolution of the universe and life on Earth ...

BrightNoon

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 08:47 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:

... actually, statistical generalization is the standard ...
[/COLOR]

Yes it is.

[quote]... not quite - what I'm saying is that the sum of all intersubjective experiences should reflect a more accurate picture of intersubjective reality than any one intersubjective experience ...[/quote]

What do you mean by intersubjective? Until we figure that out, I'll assume you mean objective (the sum of many subjective views). The objective view is only acccurate within the objective view; but what is the objective view? No people have an objective view. It is an abstraction. Life as lived is not objective and there is no reason to assume that life as lived is 'incorrect.' You might say that the objective view can predict or explain something missed in real experience, but I would say that those predictions or explanations only appear accurate on reflection. In the present, there is no doubt that experience is accurate.

[quote]... that's a little anthropocentric, don'tcha think? ... even if humans disappeared tomorrow, wouldn't the experience of apes, dogs, birds, etc. keep things going? ... but even that is a bit too terracentric for me ... and it seems to ignore the kinds of experience (e.g., study of the traces of past events that have been left behind in the present) that lead to scientific theories such as the evolution of the universe and life on Earth ...[/quote]

Yes it is. That's the idea. :bigsmile:

I don't think we can get anywhere because you are assuming from the beginning that an independent external world exists, whereas I am not.

paulhanke

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 09:10 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
What do you mean by intersubjective?

... it's a term from phenomenology ... in phenomenology, there's the subjective, the intersubjective, and the objective ... the subjective is experience that is wholly unique (e.g., imagination) ... the intersubjective is experience that has a common basis in the objective and can thus be shared in a limited sense ... and the objective is what be bodily come into contact and interact with ...

BrightNoon wrote:
Yes it is. That's the idea. :bigsmile:

I don't think we can get anywhere because you are assuming from the beginning that an independent external world exists, whereas I am not.

... I think you're probably right!

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 09:12 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:

... that's a little anthropocentric, don'tcha think? ... even if humans disappeared tomorrow, wouldn't the experience of apes, dogs, birds, etc. keep things going? ... but even that is a bit too terracentric for me ... and it seems to ignore the kinds of experience (e.g., study of the traces of past events that have been left behind in the present) that lead to scientific theories such as the evolution of the universe and life on Earth ...

Sure, without humans those experiences would continue, but there would be no beings with memory, and thus, no past, and no beings with deliberative capabilities so the future is nothing other than a probability of possibilities. Natural phenomena are nothing more than cause and effect, and it takes observation to put them within a relative time frame. Memory is a required feature to have a past. Now if a different being developed these two features then the past and future manifest into a real concept.

paulhanke

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 09:29 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
Sure, without humans those experiences would continue, but there would be no beings with memory, and thus, no past, and no beings with deliberative capabilities so the future is nothing other than a probability of possibilities.

... you obviously haven't met my dogs ... they remember all kinds of things ... and they can predict with almost perfect accuracy when bed-time potty time is (unless they've also learned how to read clocks! Wink) ...

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 09:36 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... you obviously haven't met my dogs ... they remember all kinds of things ... and they can predict with almost perfect accuracy when bed-time potty time is (unless they've also learned how to read clocks! Wink) ...

That is a different type of memory. Dogs lack the necessary abilities to have a conceptual memory over time.

paulhanke

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 09:44 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
That is a different type of memory.

AH-HA! ... another anthropocentrist!!! Wink

BrightNoon

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 10:00 pm
@BrightNoon,
I have to agree with P.H. here; dogs have memory of some kind and could experience the illusion of time like the rest of us, albeit to a lesser degree (I guess...never chatted with a dog). This brings up an interesting point. I was reading the thread about 'organized intelligence'...forget thwre that was. Anyway, very interesting stuff. I've been waiting to post until I can get my thoughts together on the subject. If dogs have memory, do frogs, do worms, do bacteria, do crystilline rocks, etc? I tend to think so, but there is no way to really appreciate the nature of that kind of 'memory.' As I think memory/thought is a function of reaction, I have to assume that anything which reacts, which would appear to be everything to some extent, remembers/thinks.

Thoughts?

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 10:19 pm
@BrightNoon,
That is pretty much the difference between conceptual memory and contextual memory. I would say that the former requires rationality and the latter has more to do with instinct.

BrightNoon

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 10:26 pm
@Theaetetus,
In your view is that a different in kind or of magnitude? Where's the line between the two and is it clearly defined?

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 10:31 pm
@BrightNoon,
I think contextual memory is developed through experience with cause and effect. Fire is hot type of stuff. On the other hand conceptual memory has to do with being able to organize memories and give them structure. History is a form of conceptual memory.

BrightNoon

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 10:38 pm
@Theaetetus,
I agree T. Would contextual memory exist in bacteria? They do not think 'fire is hot', but then again when we touch the stove, I doubt we have the idea 'fire is hot', we just react...and perhaps think of 'fire is hot' later. In the same way, bacteria react and can 'learn.'

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 11:37:17