Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

jgweed

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 07:55 am
@zefloid13,
Reply to Objections:

Being
and Nothingness

Being and Time

The two cornerstones of Existentialism both concern themselves with Being, even though it is examined phenomenologically. In Beyond Good and Evil, Nietzsche examines in a protracted manner both our conception of truth as well as prior philosophical prejudices in metaphysics; moroever, his doctrine of the Will to Power (and perhaps the Eternal Recurrence of the Same), is an attempt to provide a new metaphysics.

On the other hand, were I to revise my original post, I would perhaps avoid the rhetorical flourish of implying all great philosophers make the ultimate journey to metaphysics, even though I might suggest that if one were to distinguish between "great" philosophers and "philosophical workers," then one could still support the original statement.

"All it takes is one example of where human logic has failed to correspond to reality for us to realize that brainstorming ultimate truth doesn't get us any closer to it."

I am not sure that one can assume that ultimate truth must correspond to a "really real" reality, or that simply because we do not have THE answer, that the question should not be asked in a serious and philosophical manner. The human journey may not always be along a instate highway, but can also be a very circuitous route of state and county roads. I submit two allegories as illustration of what I am trying to say:

• A lady walks toward the information desk at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. She smiles at one of the attendants and asks in a polite manner, "Can you give me directions to THE PAINTING."
  • A young nephew, looking at my collection of music on CDs asks me, "Uncle John, will you play THE SYMPHONY for me?"

The allegories explained.
We all know what a symphony or what a great painting IS, and "know one when we see one" as it were, even though we cannot but point to examples and lists to explain them or but present some vague definition.
Just because, more importantly, there is not ONE final and perfect instance [is there a reason that logic is singular and metaphysics is plural?], do we stop painting or making music? Each visit to the quiet and spacious galleries, each visit to Orchestra Hall deepens our knowledge and understanding of painting and the symphony.
I suggest that metaphysics, seen as a royal progress [stopping here and there for a time then moving along to a new chateau] through history, or as a process of encompassing, is somewhat akin to painting or symphonic music, and does indeed get us "closer."

zefloid13

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 08:44 am
@sarek,
sarek wrote:
Perhaps it is ultimately not the end result that matters most but the way you must go to get there.
I like that view. I doubt there even is such a thing as an ultimate answer.

Q: what is the purpose of the universe?
A: answering the above question.

Thank you, sarek, you took the words out of my mouth :bigsmile:. I believe philosophy as a whole serves not to provide solutions, but to continually refine the questions we ask at the most fundamental levels. Science plays its part to provide what may be considered "definite answers."

Khethil

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 09:06 am
@zefloid13,
zefloid13 wrote:
... I believe philosophy as a whole serves not to provide solutions, but to continually refine the questions we ask at the most fundamental levels...

Very nicely put. And in so doing, learn more about ourselves; the why, the how - the important and unimportant to our varying perspectives.

paulhanke

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 10:40 am
@zefloid13,
zefloid13 wrote:
I believe philosophy as a whole serves not to provide solutions, but to continually refine the questions we ask at the most fundamental levels. Science plays its part to provide what may be considered "definite answers."

... to throw some brighter illumination upon the strong interdependence between science and metaphysics:

- without metaphysics, science would spin around in a static space, attaining greater and greater levels of detail but getting nowhere, eventually collapsing under the revealed inconsistencies within itself; without science, metaphysics would continue to build upon ungrounded ideas, floating farther and farther away from any ties to this world

- metaphysics is the armchair hypothesizing scientists do before diving into experiment; experimental results are food for the armchair hypothesizing of metaphysicists

- metaphysics is where scientists go when science isn't making sense - it's the very stuff of which scientific paradigm shifts are made; science is where metaphysicists go when metaphysics isn't making sense - it's the very stuff of which metaphysical paradigm shifts are made

Does the above hold true for all metaphysicists? for all scientists? ... no ... there are metaphysicists who disregard science; as there are scientists who disregard philosophy ... but this reminds me of a phrase I happened upon once to the effect that "the world's greatest scientists have also been philosophers".

Deftil

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 06:55 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;31804 wrote:
... to throw some brighter illumination upon the strong interdependence between science and metaphysics:

- without metaphysics, science would spin around in a static space, attaining greater and greater levels of detail but getting nowhere, eventually collapsing under the revealed inconsistencies within itself

I have to disagree with you here, Paul. As far as I can tell, science does proceed without metaphysical speculation for the most part without going "nowhere". Perhaps I don't understand exactly what you mean by "metaphysics" in relation to science, or what you mean by "getting nowhere" though.

paulhanke;31804 wrote:
without science, metaphysics would continue to build upon ungrounded ideas, floating farther and farther away from any ties to this world

Again, perhaps I don't know quite what you mean by metaphysics here, but my understanding is that the entire point of metaphysics is to engage in thought that floats away from (direct) ties to this world. If it doesn't do so to some degree, then that thought cannot be considered metaphysical.

paulhanke;31804 wrote:
- metaphysics is the armchair hypothesizing scientists do before diving into experiment; experimental results are food for the armchair hypothesizing of metaphysicists

-metaphysics is where scientists go when science isn't making sense - it's the very stuff of which scientific paradigm shifts are made;

I don't see it this way, but perhaps if you could explain a more specific example(s), I could better understand your perspective.

paulhanke;31804 wrote:
science is where metaphysicists go when metaphysics isn't making sense - it's the very stuff of which metaphysical paradigm shifts are made

I think this would speak more to the practical reliability of science than to value or validity of metaphysics.

paulhanke;31804 wrote:
Does the above hold true for all metaphysicists? for all scientists? ... no ... there are metaphysicists who disregard science; as there are scientists who disregard philosophy ... but this reminds me of a phrase I happened upon once to the effect that "the world's greatest scientists have also been philosophers".

In a historic sense, science is a branch of philosophy, and many of the greatest "scientists" of history weren't called scientists b/c it's a relatively recent phenomenon to do so. They would have been considered philosophers because all structured, critical thought was considered philosophy, regardless of specific subject matter, and anyone partaking in such thought would therefore be called a philosopher. "Natural philosophy" was the title of the line of thought that people we now think of as "scientists", such as Galileo and Newton, were pursuing when they were alive.

Also, in regards to the quote you provide, all "metaphysicists" are philosophers, but not all philosophers are metaphysicists, so the quote can be considered accurate without lending any credence to the idea that metaphysics helps to guide modern science.
Smile

paulhanke

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 07:39 pm
@Deftil,
Deftil wrote:
I have to disagree with you here, Paul. As far as I can tell, science does proceed without metaphysical speculation for the most part without going "nowhere". Perhaps I don't understand exactly what you mean by "metaphysics" in relation to science, or what you mean by "getting nowhere" though.

... could the leap out of the box inscribed by Newtonian physics have been possible without first allowing the mind to roam into some awfully mind-bending places? ...

Deftil wrote:
Again, perhaps I don't know quite what you mean by metaphysics here, but my understanding is that the entire point of metaphysics is to engage in thought that floats away from (direct) ties to this world.

... it could be that my first mistake was trusting Wikipedia: "Metaphysics is the branch of philosophy investigating principles of reality transcending those of any science" ... a second mistake would be trusting Wikipedia again: "Although some critics concede that string theory is falsifiable in principle, they maintain that it is unfalsifiable for the foreseeable future, and so should not be called science" ... but I suppose only a hard-core Popperian would totally agree with the logical conclusion here: that string theory is metaphysics Smile ...

Deftil wrote:
I don't see it this way, but perhaps if you could explain a more specific example(s), I could better understand your perspective.

... back to the Newton/Einstein reference above ...

Deftil wrote:
I think this would speak more to the practical reliability of science than to value or validity of metaphysics.

... and that was part of my point :a-ok:

Deftil wrote:
In a historic sense, science is a branch of philosophy, and many of the greatest "scientists" of history weren't called scientists b/c it's a relatively recent phenomenon to do so. They would have been considered philosophers because all structured, critical thought was considered philosophy, regardless of specific subject matter, and anyone partaking in such thought would therefore be called a philosopher. "Natural philosophy" was the title of the line of thought that people we now think of as "scientists", such as Galileo and Newton, were pursuing when they were alive.

... point taken ... as I cannot recall where I encountered this idea, I cannot say whether "scientists" (the scare-quotes kind that were labeled scientists only retrospectively) were within the scope of the idea or not ...

Deftil wrote:
Also, in regards to the quote you provide, all "metaphysicists" are philosophers, but not all philosophers are metaphysicists, so the quote can be considered accurate without lending any credence to the idea that metaphysics helps to guide modern science.
Smile

... another point taken Smile

zefloid13

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 08:20 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... it could be that my first mistake was trusting Wikipedia: "Metaphysics is the branch of philosophy investigating principles of reality transcending those of any science" ...

I strongly disapprove Wikipedia in general. Its reputation of letting anyone and everyone edit it is not necessarily a good feature.

socrato

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 10:37 pm
@zefloid13,
zefloid13 wrote:
I am sure many of you have heard the historical attacks (critiques, rather) on metaphysics as a philosophical study: it has run its course and has been displaced by the proper branches of science, and by some definitions of the term it is ultimately a "study of the occult," meant for dreamers.

So, what do you think of these matters?

We should not study the occult!Very Happy Metaphysics is a useless representation of trying to understand God. It does not do this in any way. Imagine if we interpreted on here via exchanging emotions (somehow). Well metaphysics wouldn't exist, or else all others wouldn't and metaphyisics would be exceptions.

Theaetetus

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 12:42 am
@zefloid13,
I am going to side with Kant on this one. Metaphysics is pure philosophy limited to determinate objects with two categories--metaphysics of nature and metaphysics of morals.

I think that the term metaphysics has been bastardized by some of the weird new age syncretism floating around that distorts the foundational beliefs. Not that it matters so much, but it tends to poison the well of valuable metaphysics.

Khethil

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 06:22 am
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
... I think that the term metaphysics has been bastardized by some of the weird new age syncretism floating around that distorts the foundational beliefs...

Hey Theaetetus,

I'm with you all the way on this; I think.. but I'm a bit iffy. Would you mind indulging us with an example of what you're talking about?

Thanks

Theaetetus

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 08:16 am
@zefloid13,
Have you ever heard of Sylvia Browne? She is one of those so-called psychics that can claims to have the ability to use clairvoyance. Well, she writes books about what she calls "metaphysics." She essentially takes basic beliefs of Buddhism, Christianity, Gnosticism, Taoism, and the rest, and then puts her clairvoyant thoughts into the text as well all in the name of metaphysics. That is the type of stuff that I think gives metaphysics a bad wrap.

Sylvia Browne : The Official Site

Rose phil

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 11:54 am
@zefloid13,
zefloid13;31786 wrote:
Thank you, sarek, you took the words out of my mouth :bigsmile:. I believe philosophy as a whole serves not to provide solutions, but to continually refine the questions we ask at the most fundamental levels. Science plays its part to provide what may be considered "definite answers."

In a way it is almost like the Buddhist koans, they are there simply to make one think and ponder - to stretch the mind.

Where would we all be now if we had all the answers to all those big life questions?

Rose phil

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 11:59 am
@zefloid13,
I asked my granddad a question once and his answer peed me off, I was only young. But I got it later. What a wise man he was. When I asked my question he said, "Go look it up, you will learn so much more than way."

zefloid13

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 05:58 pm
@Rose phil,
Rose wrote:
In a way it is almost like the Buddhist koans, they are there simply to make one think and ponder - to stretch the mind.

Where would we all be now if we had all the answers to all those big life questions?

I believe life would be quite dull, Rose. With all the solutions before us, what would be left? Even if all the supposed answers were provided, I highly doubt we imperfect humans would realize it. Doubt is a natural tendency that incites inquiry, which urges investigation, which is bound only to lead to further questions.

Rose phil

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 08:55 pm
@zefloid13,
Definitely. Every answer brings ten more questions. If you ask me, it's a road that is constantly under construction.

Aedes

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 09:31 pm
@zefloid13,
Jgweed, phenomenology is not only in direct opposition to metaphysics, but it truly dismisses it. Husserl, Heiddeger, Sartre, etc, were interested in the individual experience. NOT the fundamental, generalizable nature of being as would be central in metaphysics. That part they basically took for granted. So I've always regarded the phenomenological discussions of being by the existentialists as anti-metaphysical, perhaps even the greatest of all rejections of metaphysics.

Whoever

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 07:47 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Jgweed, phenomenology is not only in direct opposition to metaphysics, but it truly dismisses it. Husserl, Heiddeger, Sartre, etc, were interested in the individual experience. NOT the fundamental, generalizable nature of being as would be central in metaphysics. That part they basically took for granted. So I've always regarded the phenomenological discussions of being by the existentialists as anti-metaphysical, perhaps even the greatest of all rejections of metaphysics.

An excellent point, I think. But there is no need to draw a firm distinction between metaphysics and phenomenology. The moment one starts pondering why or how there is experience one is doing metaphysics. And I would have thought one of the most useful applications of phenomenology is to answer metaphysical questions.

Heidegger, in my view, does not object to metaphysics. As I understand him he simply points out that metaphysics deals with beings, and so does not deal with being. This seems merely a recognition of the limits of logical reasoning, and not an argument for abandoning metaphysics.

In my opinion metaphysics is the road to truth. If we do not usually find it so this is because we usually come to the study of first principles armed with a number of false assumptions. What we find when we study first principles is that all positive metaphysical positions are logically indefensible, and so we despair of ever making progress. If we just accept this negative result, however, (as, for example, Bradley proposes we do) then what follows is that the universe is metaphysically neutral, just as the Buddha and Lao-tsu tell us. This seems like progress to me.

Whoever

alex717

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 01:19 am
@zefloid13,
Perhaps, metaphysics as an absolute discipline yields nothing substantial, however one may coin that the practice is necessary for human's ultimate expression. Wondering, theorizing, and replying to the most ultimate of wonders.

Whoever

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 05:52 am
@zefloid13,
That is a common view but I don't hold it. I think metaphysics is the road to truth.

Deftil

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 04:26 pm
@zefloid13,
I'm realizing that I have more of an issue with metaphysicists than metaphysics itself. I think it's great to think about just about anything, reality and the nature of it included, but when philosophers of the past have discussed metaphysics, it seems they've often been claiming to have certainty about things that they simply cannot know. It seems the only definitive metaphysical conclusion that can be reached it that we can't know the nature of reality and it's basis, yet many have gone on ad nauseauem about strange, abstract, nebulous and ultimately meaningless concepts as if they've really figured something out, which is silly.

That's the way I'm seeing it atm anyway.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 10:23:33