The I Behind the EYE

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Metaphysics
  3. » The I Behind the EYE

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 09:07 pm
Level 1: Who am I?

Level 2: Who is the one looking at me, asking this question?

Level 3: Who is the silent whiteness outside it all, observing this mental commotion with a smile?

Are these 3 levels of consciousness the Holy trinity of being?

Disassociated perspective (level 2) is one of the key distinguishing features between humans and the rest of the animal kingdom. Among other things, it has definitely been a usefull tool for survival.

Abstracted reflection (level 3) doesn't have much practical value, yet there is something about it that brings great comfort and peace. Have you ever found yourself looking down from outside it all and not felt somehow larger than yourself?

Is this 3rd level what we are evolving towards, to some day separate meta-humans from humans, or is it just a whimsical side effect of consciousness?

I'd like to approach this from a fresh 21st century perspective, letting Alan Watts rest for a while.Wink

molok69

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 12:28 am
@infinidream,
I like this, butt Level 1 and 2 are somewhat the same question and the 3rd an assumption of something observing this? No, I don`t think it`s the holy trinity! Meta-humans I`d like to hear more about!

GoshisDead

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 12:52 am
@infinidream,
The third level "the abstraction" is beyond the self, it is losing the self in the pattern, it is the de-identification of self as applied to theory. Many meditative traditions have striven for the status of "meta-human" for millenniums.

infinidream

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 12:15 pm
@molok69,
molok69 wrote:
I like this, butt Level 1 and 2 are somewhat the same question and the 3rd an assumption of something observing this? No, I don`t think it`s the holy trinity! Meta-humans I`d like to hear more about!

The difference I was trying to get at between level 1 and 2 is that level 1 is the "I" that acts and level 2 is the the "I" that is aware of those acts while they are being performed. level one is insect, while level 2 is self-aware human.

the 3rd level is state where you can be aware of yourself being aware. you can see yourself and your role in the world. You see how arbitrary your actions are in relation to the vast possibilities of the universe. It is just a kind of existencial awareness that most people have on occasion.

I'm wondering if the 3rd level is what we are evolving towards. Animals on level one and sometimes 2, humans on level 2 and sometimes 3, metahumans on level 3 and sometimes 4, etc.:eek:

infinidream

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 12:20 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:
The third level "the abstraction" is beyond the self, it is losing the self in the pattern, it is the de-identification of self as applied to theory. Many meditative traditions have striven for the status of "meta-human" for millenniums.

do you think there are levels beyond zen enlightenment, or is that the ultimate level?

once there, would you still go to a hotdog stand and ask him to make you one with everything?

GoshisDead

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 10:29 pm
@infinidream,
Not sure, i have yet to achieve any sort of enlightenment

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Metaphysics
  3. » The I Behind the EYE
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 09:14:41