Question about interactionists.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Metaphysics
  3. » Question about interactionists.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 06:06 pm
Hey everyone, my first post.. and most definitely not my last.

I understand an interactionist believes that mind/body interact occasionally, such as pin pricks arm, you scream.
Or you think of something mental, making your stomach feel sick. (perhaps death)

My question is, how would an interactionist go about solving the mind/body problem.

Meaning, what would they state the connection is?
Where does it happen, how would the 'attempt' to solve it.. if unable to solve it?

Please reply, this has been bothering me.
Thanks a lot.

justinupitt

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 09:12 pm
@superduper,
I am not an interactionist as you describe, but I imagine they would perceive the nervous system as the connection, in addition with neural pathways.

boagie

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 02:20 am
@superduper,
superduper wrote:
Hey everyone, my first post.. and most definitely not my last.

I understand an interactionist believes that mind/body interact occasionally, such as pin pricks arm, you scream.
Or you think of something mental, making your stomach feel sick. (perhaps death)

My question is, how would an interactionist go about solving the mind/body problem.

Where does it happen, how would the 'attempt' to solve it.. if unable to solve it?

Please reply, this has been bothering me.
Thanks a lot.

Superduper,Smile

Smile If you see the truth of reality as being that all things are relational in nature, I think it changes the question somewhat, is this relational nature an interaction, are these two words for the same thing. As it is the body which produced the brain I find it a little difficult to separate them myself, it is in systems terminology a functioning holon or whole, the outside world interacts with a whole system-------no separation. In reality there is not even separation between the outside world as object and the subject as a whole system.

Justin

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 08:26 pm
@superduper,
superduper wrote:

Well,... hmm.... I guess this is the first I've ever heard of Interactionist. Did a search on google and found some stuff... It's not nice to answer questions with a question but here it goes...

...why would someone limit themselves with a title like 'Interactionist'? It's well known that there are a lot of titles out there for beliefs and based on the title you can form a synopsis of the persons beliefs. However, why would anyone have to possess the title and thus close their mind to further development of truth and knowledge?

Interactionism is a noun or adjective describing a belief system. ...Is someone stuck? If they are, we'll throw them a rope. How can one stop at a title and embrace a title that man has placed on man as an identifier of something? So I wouldn't know what else to say other than be yourself and grow and learn. You'll know truth one way or the other and if something is questionable or doesn't resonate with you, then listen.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Metaphysics
  3. » Question about interactionists.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 10:29:55