My one dollar, and 50 cent tip for two meals that cost 13.5

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » My one dollar, and 50 cent tip for two meals that cost 13.5

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 04:36 pm
So, i was a waiter for 2 people. The total cost is 13.5 dollars. According to norms, the tips ought to be 2 dollars to 3 dollars. Ie: 20% of the total cost.
They give me 1 dollar, and 20 cent!

What gives? Don` t they know that have violated the 20% tipping rule! What is the explanation?

One answer is that i am just a bad waiter, but i highly doubt it. I am good looking, nice, and funny. Who would not like me! This cannot be the case give my experience, and charm. From what can we deduce if the issue is not with me? They must be cheap, but a dollar, and 20 cent more is not too much. So, they cannot be cheap. Perhaps, they don` t know the 20% tip rule! What is the evidence? Well, they are Chinese, and a lot of the people eating at that restaurant are Chinese. There is a fallacy! The fact that they are Chinese does not follow that they don `t know the 20% tip rule. They must be newly arrived Chinese that don` t know the custom in the us? Suppose, they are newly arrival, then we have a solution to our problem. Suppose, they are not newly arrive. What can we say? Perhaps, they tip 10% in my restaurant, but tip 20% at an another restaurant! Why would anyone do that? What is the evidence? The cost of both meals is 13.5, and that is surely cheap! Where else can you get a more affordable meal? The cheap price must be what draw them to the restaurant. what can we say? They are cheap, because they want to eat cheap. So, what can we conclude? Either, they are newly arrived Chinese they don` t know the 20% tip norm, or that that are cheap people.

Any reason for the violation of this 20% tip norm in this case?

Perhaps, they have only one dollar and 20 cent, but their amount is 13. 5, so most likely, they handed my 15, or 20 dollar. They have enough money to give that 1 dollar, and 20 cent more.

reasoning logic

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 06:47 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;174383 wrote:
So, i was a waiter for 2 people. The total cost is 13.5 dollars. According to norms, the tips ought to be 2 dollars to 3 dollars. Ie: 20% of the total cost.
They give me 1 dollar, and 20 cent!

What gives? Don` t they know that have violated the 20% tipping rule! What is the explanation?

One answer is that i am just a bad waiter, but i highly doubt it. I am good looking, nice, and funny. Who would not like me! This cannot be the case give my experience, and charm. From what can we deduce if the issue is not with me? They must be cheap, but a dollar, and 20 cent more is not too much. So, they cannot be cheap. Perhaps, they don` t know the 20% tip rule! What is the evidence? Well, they are Chinese, and a lot of the people eating at that restaurant are Chinese. There is a fallacy! The fact that they are Chinese does not follow that they don `t know the 20% tip rule. They must be newly arrived Chinese that don` t know the custom in the us? Suppose, they are newly arrival, then we have a solution to our problem. Suppose, they are not newly arrive. What can we say? Perhaps, they tip 10% in my restaurant, but tip 20% at an another restaurant! Why would anyone do that? What is the evidence? The cost of both meals is 13.5, and that is surely cheap! Where else can you get a more affordable meal? The cheap price must be what draw them to the restaurant. what can we say? They are cheap, because they want to eat cheap. So, what can we conclude? Either, they are newly arrived Chinese they don` t know the 20% tip norm, or that that are cheap people.

Any reason for the violation of this 20% tip norm in this case?

Perhaps, they have only one dollar and 20 cent, but their amount is 13. 5, so most likely, they handed my 15, or 20 dollar. They have enough money to give that 1 dollar, and 20 cent more.

I never tip good looking, nice, charming and funny people.Laughing Just jokeing!
I always leave at least 20%. I have never had a meal for under $30.00 for two people at a restaurant.
Maybe those people were poor and on their anniversary and that is all they had and thought that you would forgive them. I supose that they would be the only who know.Smile

harlequin phil

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 10:09 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
i cannot speak for the people, i have no idea why they did what they did, i'm not them. i can speak for myself though....

although tipping seems to be expected now, it isn't mandatory, you shouldn't feel entitled. it is a way to say "thanks for the great service!" but you are already being paid to do your job, even though that pay may suck.

many other countries do not tip. i lived in japan for 4 years. when i got back, it felt odd for me to tip, i was used to not ever tipping ever, because they don't do that there.

along those lines, i never ever tip if i go to starbucks and other similar places, and i'm sort of offended there is even a tip jar. why should i give someone an extra dollar for pouring coffee into a cup for me, or doing whatever they are already paid to do?

they aren't being rude for not tipping. you could be seen as being rude for expecting a tip for doing what you are already paid to do. if i have to tip extra for you to do the job you are responsible for, that's a sort of forced bribery, isn't it?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » My one dollar, and 50 cent tip for two meals that cost 13.5
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 05:45:13