Specism

  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » Specism
  4. » Page 3

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

bloodninja72
 
Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 07:53 pm
@Wisdom Seeker,
Wisdom Seeker;155482 wrote:
in depends on the quality of life, the greater the purpose, the greater the overall the greater the quality.

why do we eat cows but not dogs?
cows are heavy and healthy, they are herbivores, most herbivores are meaty and tasty for carnivores, that is why carnivores likes them. i think we don't eat dogs since it can have more diseases as it eats everything it eats.

We kill spiders but not other human beings?
we kill spider since they have less purpose and a far more dangerous, we value human life since it has greater purpose, greater use.


I agree with wat you are saying but i dont agree with the part where we have more pupoise. We defitly value human life more becasue.. obviosly we are humans, so where gonna protect our own species.

But what greater use are we? I don't agree with this. What makes us better or think so? I think we think where better because the other animals cant disagree with us.
 
Wisdom Seeker
 
Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 08:01 pm
@bloodninja72,
bloodninja72;155488 wrote:


But what greater use are we? I don't agree with this. What makes us better or think so? I think we think where better because the other animals cant disagree with us.

we rule the world, we make things better than former their selves, we expand our power faster than any animals, we can surpass any ability that animals have.
 
bloodninja72
 
Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 08:03 pm
@Wisdom Seeker,
So the fact that we are smarter then other animals makes us better? If a person who has the IQ of 50 can sit in a chair an enjoy the breeze across his face, then that life is valuable, same for an animal.

---------- Post added 04-22-2010 at 10:04 PM ----------

Wisdom Seeker;155496 wrote:
we rule the world, we make things better than former their selves, we expand our power faster than any animals, we can surpass any ability that animals have.
....................................
 
Wisdom Seeker
 
Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 08:13 pm
@bloodninja72,
bloodninja72;155498 wrote:
So the fact that we are smarter then other animals makes us better? If a person who has the IQ of 50 can sit in a chair an enjoy the breeze across his face, then that life is valuable, same for an animal.

what animal does is the same to those humans, they eat, they reproduce, the only difference is that we can make our selves better than any animals, we can't live if we can't use the least we can give, even that least is a great contribution, no one hires a worker if their work is not enough
 
bloodninja72
 
Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 08:15 pm
@Wisdom Seeker,
Wisdom Seeker;155503 wrote:
animals are valuable because they use anything they have, they became valuable but compare to humans they are less valuable, humans loss their value if they can't use anything they have or they limit themselves, but in present time, i think humans can't survive if they can't use what they have so they have no choice but to use it even the least they can at least they contribute, even that least is a great contribution indeed, no one hires a worker if their work is not enough.


I have to agree with you. its like kill or be killed... but my originall intention for this argument was.. why do we kill cows and not dogs.. and one user had said cows are not self aware and have more meat so what do you think?>
 
Wisdom Seeker
 
Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 08:21 pm
@bloodninja72,
bloodninja72;155504 wrote:
I have to agree with you. its like kill or be killed... but my originall intention for this argument was.. why do we kill cows and not dogs.. and one user had said cows are not self aware and have more meat so what do you think?>

yeah that is true, cows are more meaty, nutritious and safer than dogs who are more prone to sickness, danger and less nutritious.
 
hue-man
 
Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 01:07 am
@bloodninja72,
bloodninja72;149441 wrote:
Specism is about why do we eat cows but not dogs. That kind of thing. We kill spiders but not other human beings. I beilive its because we have compassion toward others like us. Thats how racism can start, or any form of prejudice. What are other thoughts?


We have different relationships with dogs than we do with cows, but I see nothing wrong with eating a dog. We have more compassion towards those of our own species than we do towards those of another species because it is of evolutionary utility. It wouldn't have been very viable for our ancestors to reject eating wild game for "moral" reasons. While it may seem viable now, I see no reason to stop, moral or otherwise.
 
Strodgers
 
Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 05:16 pm
@bloodninja72,
Question: If Eating meat makes us "Speciests", then where does this put the hawk which eats other birds? Is anyone willing to call a lion a "Speciest" for eating a zebra?
 
deepthot
 
Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 01:51 am
@Strodgers,
Strodgers;168810 wrote:
Question: If Eating meat makes us "Speciests", then where does this put the hawk which eats other birds? Is anyone willing to call a lion a "Speciest" for eating a zebra?


The way I understand the term, "speciesism" applies to an ethical fallacy commited by many - but not by all - human individuals.
 
 

 
  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » Specism
  4. » Page 3
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 09/20/2021 at 03:04:51