Sartre and Atheism

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Sartre and Atheism

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 07:19 am
Hey, my name is Dudette.
I am a college student currently studying philosophy at A2. I am having alot of trouble, trying to start my synoptic paper which is on CRITICISMS OF JEAN PAUL SARTRES ATHEISM.
Last year I read existentialism and humanism as part of my exam on a selected text... i came out with an B on the exam and found it a very interesting matter. So i do have some backround knowledge of Sartre.
However I am really worried as im not entirely sure where to go with my my research:confused:...
I thought it would b a good idea if I started by introducing his general ideas of 'existence percedes essence' for all those things that are 'being for itself'... then going on to talk about how this leads us to abandonment, anguish and dispair.
(I will be careful that i do address the question and do not stray to much!! Aswell I wil make sure as not to copy any work of other people and referencing any texts i do use:))
So really lookin for any advice on where to then take my work, I have looked at some extracts that i have pulled from the interent just by googling 'sartre and athism'. However it all seems to be out of my depth:(.
All advice and ideas are welcome and much appreciated.
Thanx

Aristoddler

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 07:33 am
@dudette phil,
Deep subject.
I'm going to have to dig through my basement to find that one, because it certainly bears re-reading in light of some topics here lately.

Pull up a seat, grab a thread and dig in!

boagie

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 07:47 am
@Aristoddler,
Dudette,

All I can say is I read him a great many years ago. I concluded he was either an extremly intelligent man or a fraud hiding in his own obscurity. If you read other philosophers prose, like Schopenhauer who is very clear and grounded, you might conclude there is a less than honest modivation here with Sartres.

de Silentio

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 08:28 am
@dudette phil,
Perhaps you should look at some of his precursors, like Kierkegaard. Then contrast existence precedes essence with essence precedes existence and show how one or the other can lead to atheism or theism respectively.

I would like to hear how the research is going.

dudette phil

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 09:15 am
@dudette phil,
Well, to be honest... its not. My philosophy teacher is a physics teacher and this is his first year teaching philosophy, hes a great person but he even said he didnt want to teach philosophy, the college is havin money problems and has had to cut staff. Anyway... back to my essay!
I think ill start with an introduction of a basic outline of sartres existentialist approach which would explain why he is atheist. Then try to criticise him from a religious approach. I found some interesting points on catholic education resourse website...
'the Catholic Church claims that God only creates the raw material and we make the final form of ourselves through our freewill however sartre would argue this disproves God, if there were a God, man would be reduced to a mere artifact of god, and thus we would not be free. Sartre constantly argues that human dignity and freedom require atheism, however he does seem to confuse freedom with independence and the only god he can concieve is the one who would take away freedom rather than creating or maintaining it he see freedom as a kind of rebellion. He claims freedom is "the freedom to say no".'
So I have a few ideas just not sure if Im on the right lines and how to piece it together. It has to be 8+ sides of A4 so dont feel i hav enough and i want to be careful i dont rant on for 8 pages if its wrong!
Im at a disadvantage because i hav not studied it that long and i have only studied particular philosophers and particular ideas of theirs.
But all replies are much appreciated! thanks

Aristoddler

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 10:42 am
@dudette phil,
So someone who doesn't even have a passion for philosophy is actually teaching philosophy!?

Run.

dudette phil

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 11:02 am
@dudette phil,
He has a interest in it, but he doesnt hav an interest in how we succeed in it. He has more of an interest in his physics class. To be fair he has tried, I just feel he hasnt prompted us (my class) where to take our research, in his words 'type sartre and atheism into google and see where it takes you'. Well that took me to pages and pages of university lectures which none of the class could grasp. So just wondering what advice people can give.

Pongobongo

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 04:49 pm
@de Silentio,
de Silentio wrote:
Perhaps you should look at some of his precursors, like Kierkegaard. Then contrast existence precedes essence with essence precedes existence and show how one or the other can lead to atheism or theism respectively.

I like this idea. Not only would it provide some "filler" for your 8 page mini-novel, but it would provide some background of where he may have gotten some of his ideas and the contempory thoughts of his lifetime. Treat it is as an extended introduction, then transition into the meat of the paper.

Regardless of what you choose to do with this, please stay positive. You don't "don't know anything", you know something and can simply lookup the rest. You don't "have no idea where to begin", you have put forth a very good idea and bravely asked for assistance in developing it. You don't "have 8 pages that need to be filled", you have only 8 pages to get your ideas across. You can do this, and everyone here is ready and willing to help. Wink

dudette phil

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2008 12:02 am
@dudette phil,
Thank you very much, that certainly does but it perspective for me!

cosmoboy

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2008 06:24 am
@dudette phil,
Whats up dudette

I'm also struggling with this particular issue for my A2 Philosophy paper.

Any further help would be appreciated!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Sartre and Atheism
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 01:20:57