I need help!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

billb

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 10:02 am
I am new here. I was searching around the web and this looked like a good place to get some help for a logic class. I am amazed at how much this class has helped me look at things much differently. Anyway I am studying for an exam and there are 2 questions on my study guide I can not seem to quite grasp. If anyone can help me here they are. Thanks in advance. Bill. You have eight billiard balls. One of them is "defective," meaning that it weighs more than the others. How do you tell, using a balance, which ball is defective in two weighings? You have five jars of pills. All the pills in one jar only are "contaminated." The only way to tell which pills are contaminated is by weight. A regular pill weighs 10 grams; a contaminated pill is 9 grams. You are given a scale and allowed to make just one measurement with it. How do you tell which jar is contaminated?

de Silentio

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 01:15 pm
@billb,
Quote:

You have eight billiard balls. One of them is "defective," meaning that it weighs more than the others.

I think I figured out the billiards one, but I don't want to give you the answer straight out.

Here is a hint, you don't have to weigh all of the balls the first time.

Also, make sure you draw this out on paper, it makes figuring it out a lot easier.

WorBlux

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 02:07 pm
@de Silentio,
de Silentio wrote:
I think I figured out the billiards one, but I don't want to give you the answer straight out.

Here is a hint, you don't have to weigh all of the balls the first time.

Also, make sure you draw this out on paper, it makes figuring it out a lot easier.

Did you actually figure out a way to get 100% accuracy?

I've managed two system of 75% accuracy, but nothing giving 100% chance of success.

For the second example I can get 40% accuracy.

Aristoddler

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 05:36 pm
@billb,
Weigh the balls this way:

3 on the left and 3 on the right.
If neither side goes down, then your ball is one of the remaining two, which leaves only one weighing in left.

If not, then one side will sink.
Take those 3 balls, and toss the others out of the equation.
Weigh 2 of them on your second weigh in.
If neither side sinks, then the odd one out is your man.
If not, then the choice will be obvious...100% of the time.

The pills are a little tricky...I'd think outside the pill bottle.
But do you really have to constrain yourself to using a scale?

here's a little doodle for you...http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c145/TheRealGarf/scalelogic.jpg

de Silentio

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 06:36 pm
@billb,
Quote:
Did you actually figure out a way to get 100% accuracy?

I've managed two system of 75% accuracy, but nothing giving 100% chance of success.

Yes, Aristoddlers answer is the exact same as mine.

I admit though, I could not figure out the pill question.

billb

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 06:55 pm
@Aristoddler,
Aristoddler wrote:
Weigh the balls this way:

3 on the left and 3 on the right.
If neither side goes down, then your ball is one of the remaining two, which leaves only one weighing in left.

If not, then one side will sink.
Take those 3 balls, and toss the others out of the equation.
Weigh 2 of them on your second weigh in.
If neither side sinks, then the odd one out is your man.
If not, then the choice will be obvious...100% of the time.

The pills are a little tricky...I'd think outside the pill bottle.
But do you really have to constrain yourself to using a scale?

here's a little doodle for you...http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c145/TheRealGarf/scalelogic.jpg

Aristoddler for the billiard ball question this is exactly what I thought the correct answer to be as well. I forgot to come check back here until a few minutes ago. I worked on my study guide half the day since I posted this and got most of the way through. I did not find the correct answer yet, as I am waiting to hear back from the professor teacher whether my presumption is right or wrong. I appreciate your help and look forward to contributing to the board on a regular basis.

billb

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 07:15 pm
@billb,
Finally figured out the pill question. Here it is....

Take pills out of each bottle.

Take 1 pill out of Bottle1
Take 2 pills out of Bottle2.
Take 3 pills out of Bottle3.
Take 4 pills out of Bottle4.
And take 5 pills out of Bottle5.

Measure all the pills together. Since the "contaminated pill" is a multiple of 9, then you will notice it in the overall weight.

Let's say the answer is Bottle3, meaning that it contains the contaminated pills. If that's the case, then the weight would be 147 grams. Here's why:

(each weight corresponds to its bottle)
10g + 20g + 27g + 40g + 50g = 147g

As long as you know the multiples of 9, then you can figure out the answer to the problem this way.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 07:00 pm
@billb,
"and drug fish at the same time!"

Had me on the floor, brother!

Nice work, too.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/16/2024 at 02:38:33