Utilitarianism thought experiment

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » Utilitarianism thought experiment

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

amist

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 07:32 am
It appears to me that a utilitarian would have to say that it's okay for a group of people to get together and murder someone with no close friends or family so long as they are all enjoying it enough and they don't make it a particularly slow death. Does anyone have a counter point?

HexHammer

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 08:36 am
@amist,
amist;142166 wrote:
It appears to me that a utilitarian would have to say that it's okay for a group of people to get together and murder someone with no close friends or family so long as they are all enjoying it enough and they don't make it a particularly slow death. Does anyone have a counter point?
Such thoughts would promote selfness on a broad scale, along with cynicisism, hate and discrimination, the opposit values which we have faught so much to suppress, of dictatorial regimes.

We try to make evolved civilizations based on mutual respect, where reason and justice must be the order of the day.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 08:42 am
@amist,
amist;142166 wrote:

Don't you think that they would have to include the feelings of the victim their calculations? Utilitarians think that the effects of an action on all who are effected by it (including society at large) have to count in the calculations.

amist

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 09:04 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;142189 wrote:
Don't you think that they would have to include the feelings of the victim their calculations? Utilitarians think that the effects of an action on all who are effected by it (including society at large) have to count in the calculations.

That's just it though, if the pleasure gained by the group outweighs the pain inflicted on the individual, doesn't that mean they should do it? Surely such a calculation could arise. Even worse, what if most of society agrees it is okay to do? Say it is an extremely racist society which does not tolerate jews or blacks.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 09:17 am
@amist,
amist;142192 wrote:
That's just it though, if the pleasure gained by the group outweighs the pain inflicted on the individual, doesn't that mean they should do it? Surely such a calculation could arise. Even worse, what if most of society agrees it is okay to do? Say it is an extremely racist society which does not tolerate jews or blacks.

But that is a different question from the one you asked. Now you are asking whether Utilitarianism is correct, and you point to a possibility when although an action is right on the Utilitarian principle, it is goes counter to our intuitions of what is right. The question then is whether we should let Utilitarianism correct our moral intuitions, or whether our moral intuitions should correct the Utilitarian principle. Maybe it is our moral intuitions that are wrong, and not the Utilitarian principle; or, of course, vice-versa. Maybe we have to try to reach a "reflective equilibrium".

See: Reflective equilibrium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

amist

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 09:29 am
@amist,
Fine, lets leave society out of it, if nobody finds out about the murders, it appears as though they are kosher. Yeah you caught me, I'm sort of trying to refute Utilitariansim here. It appears to be a valid criticism though.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 09:33 am
@amist,
amist;142200 wrote:
Fine, lets leave society out of it, if nobody finds out about the murders, it appears as though they are kosher. Yeah you caught me, I'm sort of trying to refute Utilitariansim here. It appears to be a valid criticism though.

Well, it certainly is a criticism. Whether it is a valid criticism has to be thought about. If Utilitarianism is correct, then it isn't a valid criticism.

jgweed

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 01:39 pm
@amist,
It could, of course, be argued that having and enforcing a law against killing a human being is actually in the best interest (and hence "happiness") of the greatest number. Something like this is also the argument of the adherents of a social contract position who urge that men give up unlimited freedom to secure other advantages they deem more important.

In the instance mentioned in the original post, it could be argued that the "majority" was exceeding slim in number and not representative of a much larger and more general calculus, which would in any utilitarian theory, perforce prevail: the happiness of 6 against 1 would be annulled by that of ten million to 6, and so on.

Pyrrho

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 02:52 pm
@amist,
amist;142166 wrote:

First of all, there are different types of utilitarians, like act utilitarians and rule utilitarians, and they say different things from each other. There is also the issue of the concept of "higher" and "lower" pleasures that Mill wrote about, though such an idea is not accepted by all utilitarians, so that, too, may affect what a particular utilitarian would have to say.

But the main thing is to consider is the totality of the outcome of this particular activity, not just part of it. There is the possibility that other people will find out, and they are likely to be displeased by the whole thing, and then do things that will displease the six. There is the possibility that the six will realize that, and it may bother them for the rest of their lives, because they know that in many places, there is no statute of limitation on murder, so they could be found out at any time later on in their lives and go to prison or be executed for it. Or someone might find out about it and blackmail them, and this is something that they might worry about even if it never actually happens. One of the six might later on feel guilty, and then confess the whole thing, which will likely get the other five into trouble, and all of the six should realize that that is a possibility when they are conspiring to murder someone, which, again, is likely to worry them all later on. So there is a good chance that the six will get more displeasure out of the whole thing than pleasure, even aside from the fact that the murdered one will probably not like it, and even if they are never found out.

In other words, one must think long term in order to do the calculation properly, and one must not omit some of the consequences when figuring out whether or not it is a good idea.

Also, if these people really enjoy murdering someone else, most likely, they are not going to want to stop at one. And the more they do it, the more likely they are to get caught, which should be obvious to everyone.

I think that the upshot of this is that with human beings, as they actually are, they ought not kill someone else as you describe, according to utilitarian principles, even if they believe it will give them pleasure, because they are likely to have displeasure later on for the rest of their lives. In fact, this seems to follow from only considering their own pleasure and pain, though utilitarians generally regard the happiness of everyone as relevant, in which case, the displeasure of everyone else if they find out is relevant to deciding whether or not they should murder the person.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 03:27 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;142284 wrote:
First of all, there are different types of utilitarians, like act utilitarians and rule utilitarians, and they say different things from each other. There is also the issue of the concept of "higher" and "lower" pleasures that Mill wrote about, though such an idea is not accepted by all utilitarians, so that, too, may affect what a particular utilitarian would have to say.

But the main thing is to consider is the totality of the outcome of this particular activity, not just part of it. There is the possibility that other people will find out, and they are likely to be displeased by the whole thing, and then do things that will displease the six. There is the possibility that the six will realize that, and it may bother them for the rest of their lives, because they know that in many places, there is no statute of limitation on murder, so they could be found out at any time later on in their lives and go to prison or be executed for it. Or someone might find out about it and blackmail them, and this is something that they might worry about even if it never actually happens. One of the six might later on feel guilty, and then confess the whole thing, which will likely get the other five into trouble, and all of the six should realize that that is a possibility when they are conspiring to murder someone, which, again, is likely to worry them all later on. So there is a good chance that the six will get more displeasure out of the whole thing than pleasure, even aside from the fact that the murdered one will probably not like it, and even if they are never found out.

In other words, one must think long term in order to do the calculation properly, and one must not omit some of the consequences when figuring out whether or not it is a good idea.

Also, if these people really enjoy murdering someone else, most likely, they are not going to want to stop at one. And the more they do it, the more likely they are to get caught, which should be obvious to everyone.

I think that the upshot of this is that with human beings, as they actually are, they ought not kill someone else as you describe, according to utilitarian principles, even if they believe it will give them pleasure, because they are likely to have displeasure later on for the rest of their lives. In fact, this seems to follow from only considering their own pleasure and pain, though utilitarians generally regard the happiness of everyone as relevant, in which case, the displeasure of everyone else if they find out is relevant to deciding whether or not they should murder the person.

Yes. It usually turns out that if you make enough adjustments, and make sure that the consequences of a wrong action are always bad, that Utilitarianism will accord with our moral intuitions. How else would it be treated seriously as a moral theory?

Mister Carcer

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 03:24 pm
@amist,
amist;142166 wrote:

I'm no fan of consequentialist ethics, but I think I can see how a utilitarian might counter. Utilitarianism isn't just about maximizing pleasure, its also about minimizing suffering. No one suffers if the murder doesn't take place. Someone suffers if they do. More suffering is worse than less suffering. Therefore blah blah blah...

Mentally Ill

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 07:35 pm
@amist,
Utilitarianism allows for events like Hiroshima and the genocide in Rwanda to be morally permissible. In my mind, this is not ideal.
I think that utilitarianism is a great tool for society to use in ethically inconsequential situations, but that it should never be used when the value of human life is put on the scales.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » Utilitarianism thought experiment
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 09:32:02