The Wrong Continuum

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » The Wrong Continuum

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 12:37 am
Assuming a general blank slate scenario, and a need to teach/learn right and wrong what are the implications and ramifications of Teaching/Learning either individually or socially that something is:

right
not right
wrong
not wrong

or not teaching/learning that something is:
right
not right
wrong
not wrong

or not teaching/learning anything

SammDickens

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 01:42 pm
@GoshisDead,
Our two preconditions (for the sake of this discussion) are:
(1) we begin with no knowledge of right or wrong.
(2) there is a need to teach/learn right and wrong.

The question you pose, is based upon these two preconditions. It is a complex question, but the root is simple:

Question: What are the implications and ramifications of...
(1) Teaching/learning or NOT teaching/learning "Ethics-A" (see below)
(2) Either individually or socially?

"Ethics-A" consists of right, not right, wrong, not wrong.

You also mention "not teaching/learning anything" at all, but this I think is altogether outside the focus of your question about ethics, is it not? :perplexed:

Also, while the two by two conditions of your question (teach/not teach & social or individual) would seem to present four options for consideration, I think the "not teach" option will yield the same result whether individual or social and may therefore be treated with a single response. This leaves only three alternatives for consideration as given in the summary of your post below.

Conditions:
(1) If we begin with no knowledge of right or wrong, AND
(2) if there is a need to teach/learn right and wrong;

Question: What are the implications and ramifications of...
(1) Teaching/learning *"Ethics-A" individually,
(2) Teaching/learning *"Ethics-A" socially,
(3) Not teaching/learning *"Ethics-A" at all.
(*"Ethics-A" consists of right, not right, wrong, not wrong.)

Now my final question is this? What do you intend as the difference between:
right and "not wrong"?
wrong and "not right"?

It would seem to me, you see, that if "not wrong" differs from right, then it must occupy a neutral ground of "neither right nor wrong" along with the "not right" option. In this case, "Ethics-A" would consist of right, wrong, and "neither right nor wrong." But that depends upon what you have in mind by these concepts. :perplexed:

I hope I am helping to clarify this complex and interesting question (before I dare try to otherwise respond to it). Smile

Samm

Zetherin

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 01:48 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;124284 wrote:
Assuming a general blank slate scenario, and a need to teach/learn right and wrong what are the implications and ramifications of Teaching/Learning either individually or socially that something is:

right
not right
wrong
not wrong

or not teaching/learning that something is:
right
not right
wrong
not wrong

or not teaching/learning anything

I really need specificity here. Could you perhaps rephrase the question?

jgweed

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 01:50 pm
@GoshisDead,
In addition to "learning the rules" of "Ethics-A" one must also learn when and how--- under what circumstances---to apply them; even in Ethics-A there is not just a list of right and wrong actions to learn and be done with it, just as when we learn a language we do not stop when we have learned all the nouns and verb.

And what are the implications to two possible cases:
1. We begin life with a tabula rosa.
2. We begin life with a tabula rosa but only in the area of ethics.

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 03:45 pm
@jgweed,
Part of asking the question was to refine the question. Its still a fuzzy question in my head.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » The Wrong Continuum
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 05:42:27