what things do you see people doing that are ethical

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » what things do you see people doing that are ethical

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 04:37 pm
or unethical. maybe your list of the top 5 ethical and 5 unethical things people commonly do in their lives. i mean things that everyday people could do or stop doing, not throwing yourself in front of a trolley.

i'm not looking for arguments, no-brainers would be especially good (if they exist).

fire away.

Pythagorean

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 05:02 pm
@andy1984,
Good question.

Well, this is not a "thing" per se. But the most unethical behavioural thing that I see is the way people treat money as if it is more important than anything else in the universe. It has become more important than God, or the search for God, money has become more important than science or the quest for innovation, money has become more important than the human family, more important than even domestic political stability.

It is true that money is absolutely necessary, however, it is unethical to make it the only value (besides sex), in my opinion.

Quinn phil

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 06:52 pm
@andy1984,
Ethical: When I was over at my aunt's house once, I experienced an ethical moment that made me feel quite good about myself. We had gone out on a walk to the grocery store. Right before we turned the corner to get to the grocery store, a homeless man approached us. He asked for spare change, like they usually do. I was feeling oddly generous, and so I gave him a twenty dollar bill. When my Aunt saw how he responded, (astonishment, and mant thanks), she spoke up. "I don't have any cash with me, but you can have this...". She then gave him a hug. She gave the smelly, grimy, homeless man a hug. Love and money. What else could you ask for?

Un-Ethical: Well, I've witnessed murder, so..

andy1984

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 11:07 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean;119792 wrote:
Good question.

Well, this is not a "thing" per se. But the most unethical behavioural thing that I see is the way people treat money as if it is more important than anything else in the universe. It has become more important than God, or the search for God, money has become more important than science or the quest for innovation, money has become more important than the human family, more important than even domestic political stability.

It is true that money is absolutely necessary, however, it is unethical to make it the only value (besides sex), in my opinion.

Kinda related to that I don't like how some people act like they can't change anything/don't want to and all they seem to want to do is collect experiences that they think will make them more interesting or give them more social status or just as a kind of game.

---------- Post added 01-14-2010 at 06:17 PM ----------

Quinn;119801 wrote:
Ethical: When I was over at my aunt's house once, I experienced an ethical moment that made me feel quite good about myself. We had gone out on a walk to the grocery store. Right before we turned the corner to get to the grocery store, a homeless man approached us. He asked for spare change, like they usually do. I was feeling oddly generous, and so I gave him a twenty dollar bill. When my Aunt saw how he responded, (astonishment, and mant thanks), she spoke up. "I don't have any cash with me, but you can have this...". She then gave him a hug. She gave the smelly, grimy, homeless man a hug. Love and money. What else could you ask for?

Un-Ethical: Well, I've witnessed murder, so..

What I had in mind was systematic things that I could do myself, so that having seen a suggestion I like I can chase up the reasoning behind it and see if it pans out. Like being vegan or making monthly donations to charities.

I suck at being a nice person in person. There was some guy on the street begging (?) for money for food today (which is quite odd here in NZ, I'd generally assume he'd buy alcohol/drugs with any money I gave him). I obviously need to develop my people skills and be less scared of talking to strangers. At the same time I think that I can be more ethical by doing what I'm good at, or at least doing things that are easier first and then working up to harder things.

Wow that's crazy that you saw a murder... and sad Sad

Mnemosyne phil

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 07:59 am
@andy1984,
Well... there is one ethical set of actions that I thought was rather exemplary. It was the way Obama handled being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. I know this instance is beyond the everyday, but I think that that kind of attitude is something that easily translates to the everyday world.

Quinn phil

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 11:12 pm
@andy1984,
Yeah, I sometimes think that generosity is not a very reliable thing when it comes to Homeless people. They sometimes aren't even homeless? See those guys out there dressed nice, with nice shoes, (but they tatter them a bit)? Con Artists. Also, you're right, they do buy liquor sometimes. I just feel like if there is a crazy chance that all of this generosity pays off in the end, I oughtta start now. Probably doesn't though.

Well, for what you were looking for: Recycling's a good one.

andy1984

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 04:04 pm
@andy1984,
wow not really getting many ethical things. would have thought people here could come up with a few more....

Pythagorean

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 04:45 pm
@andy1984,
It is ethical to love your parents and to listen to people who offer opinions which differ from your own as long as they are polite. Smile

mister kitten

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 05:30 pm
@andy1984,
Ethical: graffiti, teaching, and giving compliments!

Not ethical: spreading hate, boasting, and having grudges.

Everyday ethics, nice question Andy

melonkali

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 10:43 pm
@andy1984,
The most "ethical" people I recall were intuitively motivated, by their very essence, to "make a contribution", to "give more than take", to "leave some little part of the world a better place for their having passed through it". Their everyday personalities were somehow extra-considerate, never too hurried to listen, to help, to be kind, to appreciate others.

My husband (we're retired) usually does the grocery shopping because he enjoys it -- a chance to get out and interact with people (I'm less of a "people person" than he). One night he was ill, so I went to the local large grocery-chain store; when I was writing the check to pay, a young assistant-manager exclaimed, "Oh! You're Mrs. *****! Your husband is SUCH a nice man." Oh boy, sometimes it really is hard being married to my husband -- people expect me to be like him, but I'm more of a "hell-hag".

Since I'm not such a great "people person", I felt that it was only right I "made a contribution" in a different way -- guess I've caught my husband's contagious "sense of ethics".

So I started with the cliche "bloom where you're planted", broadened that to "what kind of things am I comfortable doing, in what things am I competent, what might I actually come to enjoy doing?" along with consideration of "what needful areas in life/society genuinely touch my heart?". Realistically, I had to consider our extremely limited "resources" (physical, financial, time, etc).

In my case, practicalities (living out in the middle of rural nowhere with one 25 year old car, and in failing health) made it unrealistic for me to consider most kinds of "people" work (which I stink at, anyway). As I mentioned above, no financial resources. And THEN, I had to consider my saintly husband's feelings. He insisted on participating -- couldn't stand the thought of a "blessing" happening in his own back yard and his not being part of it. (Someday I'm going to drug him! I swear I'm going to drug him...)

We realized we did have one "resource" that might be of use: a couple of acres of fenced (albeit overgrown) land. So now we rescue animals, both large (donkeys) and small (dogs and cats), and continue to put plenty of food out for the little wild birds. The feed and vet bills have gotten us into more debt than we can really handle, the heartbreak of losing some sick animals has been harder than we'd imagined (we didn't realize how attached one can get in such a short time), the physical work has nearly crippled us sometimes, and this project has completely "wrecked" any retirement leisure/hobby plans we might have had.

Still, neither one of us would change our path. Not because we're "ethical" (although others mistakenly perceive us that way), but because we're selfish. We'd miss that warm, tender feeling we get when one of our rescue critters gets a second chance in a loving home, and we know that little critter will bring love, companionship, comfort and delight to other people.

And besides, when all is said and done, what could possibly substitute for that priceless feeling of self righteousness... Ooops, ruined it, didn't I?

SammDickens

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 11:27 pm
@andy1984,
Ethical, huh? Doing what you have told yourself is right when the particulars of the situation make it not so nearly appealing a choice to make. That is ethics. An example. Giving money to someone who appears homeless although you think he may spend it on booze. Unethical? How about giving money to a homeless old boozer and supporting the vice that keeps him homeless? How about giving money to others just because it makes you feel good about yourself and lets you enjoy thinking what others might think of your philanthropy? So if you want to be ethical, don't give money to the drunken bum, give it to the homeless man, down on his luck and unable to get back up without your assistance. Sure, he pisses it away on booze, but wouldn't you if you'd blown what few chances at happiness you'd ever known and turn all the love ever shown to you into hate and repugnance? Wouldn't you drink your sorry life away if alcoholism had you so profoundly in its grips that you walked around like a gaping wound looking for someone else to bleed on? Oh sure, cling to your filthy lucre, your ill-gained wages, and let the tramp out on the street starve and freeze imprisoned in the sickness he never asked for and deprived of all the love we all need to go on. Or if it pleases you, if it glitters your halo, just throw your money at the poor sod and let him booze himself into a drunken stupor. One thing you can rely on...

I got no idea what's ethical and what ain't.

Samm

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » what things do you see people doing that are ethical
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 12:42:12