It has come to my attention.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » It has come to my attention.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 08:28 pm
It's come to the point where life has begun to disagree. And to disagree with the life provided is to deny one's own existence. Perhaps the power to pull through is hidden, but my question becomes this - why is it so apparent in those who d...o little and seem to be horribly missing to those who do many? What has become of our own existence of those who work and those who try and those who demand of themselves? My answer? Little.

And, if I may ask, what has become of yours?

onehorn

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 07:32 pm
@TheUtmostProvide,
I actually didnt get the question Smile

xXKanpekiXx

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 10:27 pm
@TheUtmostProvide,
To answer the last question first, simply because it is the only one I can wrap my feeble mind around, I would have to say that my life has not become anything. That is to say, my life was a constant: ever the monotonous pathway to reproduction and the passing on of my genes to the next generation. Try hard enough to propegate and you've succeeded in life, I suppose.

Certainly, there is value in working to a point where you earn yourself a comfortable living and some money to throw around. Material goods are here for a reason.

This all sounds awful, but that's where my mind takes me. I apologize if my answer is not sufficient.

deepthot

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 01:23 am
@TheUtmostProvide,
TheUtmostProvide;87788 wrote:
It's come to the point where life has begun to disagree. And to disagree with the life provided is to deny one's own existence. Perhaps the power to pull through is hidden, but my question becomes this - why is it so apparent in those who d...o little and seem to be horribly missing to those who do many? What has become of our own existence of those who work and those who try and those who demand of themselves? My answer? Little.

And, if I may ask, what has become of yours?

Could you be more specific in how life has come to "disagree"? Can you provide us with the circumstances; with the event that led to this gloomy emotion? If you are in pain or are irritating yourself over some situatiion we need to know what event triggered it, what led up to it.

I shall give a general answer here telling you about the A B Cs of Rational-Emotive Therapy which a person can administer to himself. I shall teach for all who are interested the basics of emotional peace (...with thanks to Albert Ellis. He was a personal friend of mine.) They are:

A) Something happens. {an Activating event}

B) You interpret it; you form an interpretation {via your Belief system.}

C) You feel good or you feel bad. {This is an emotional Consequence of believing what you do: if it is irrational, illogical, or incoherent you will likely feel a negative, a painful or annoying emotion.}

Those are the ABCs.

You don't have to feel bad. You can spare yourself this emotional pain. You can keep your state of serenity or joy. How? You merely change your interpretation of event A: you work on step B.

"B" stands for your belief about what occurred at A. You challenge those beliefs. You dispute that interpretation to see if it was silly, or see if it is logical. See if you have evidence for believing it. This is step D.
"D" stands for Dispute. (Socrates, you will recall, was very good at doing this.)

Find a positive and friendly interpretation for A -- the Activating event. Figure out a new way of understanding A that is not threatening. Find the love in it. Remember that love triumphs over fear.

Once you do this successfully you will have a new feeling, and this is step E: --[we could say that "E: stands for new Emotion].

A new peaceful emotion, one that you can enjoy, has now been substituted for, and replaces, the sadness, despair, bitterness, or extreme frustration that you may have felt at step C.

So these are the ABCDESs of emotional peace.

If this is helpful, let us know.

Also, see Post #9 at this link:
http://www.philosophyforum.com/philosophy-forums/branches-philosophy/ethics/6197-lets-get-down-basics-what-after-all-ethics.html

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » It has come to my attention.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 08:19:54