Who's more immoral?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 07:11 am
@Eudaimon,
Eudaimon;95751 wrote:
Is it not mere an idea, o materialist? It's just that we are taught that we should think that no one will be abused by our actions. Had we been taught to neglect other, that we shouldn't pay attention to their suffering because they belong to, say, inferior race, we wouldn't even think of them. That would be another kind of morality, if morality is a set of beliefs, as thy definition implies that to be.
But when we kill them OURSELVES, it is absolutely another situation. The very sight of suffering, of blood, surely are different from the idea that we should think of others. This demands way more brutality that just signing an order.

I am not arguing with this. My point was that Hitler, if he wasn't an insane, could not have done all those things like killing children, old people etc., if he'd had to do that with his own hands, so to say This was done just because there is always an army of slaves whcih is ready to fullfill every command.

We may have a certain morality because we have a set of beliefs, like Jews are inferior. But the morality is not that set of beliefs, since I can certainly believe that certain people are inferior, and not treat them as Hitler treated the Jews.

timunderwood9

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 11:34 pm
@Eudaimon,
The thing is that Hitler probably could have killed people with his hands. The human animal is built to be able to kill other human animals, and the type only affects the difficulty of getting it to happen.

Eudaimon

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 12:41 am
@timunderwood9,
kennethamy;95770 wrote:
We may have a certain morality because we have a set of beliefs, like Jews are inferior. But the morality is not that set of beliefs, since I can certainly believe that certain people are inferior, and not treat them as Hitler treated the Jews.

The problem is that Hitler did not only hold the idea that Jews belong to inferior race but also that they deserve to be treated not like humans. I may believe they are inferior yet think it is still bad to treat them like that, just as it is obvious for us that animals are somewhat inferior to humans but this itself is not the cause to treat them with violence.

timunderwood9;95956 wrote:
The thing is that Hitler probably could have killed people with his hands. The human animal is built to be able to kill other human animals, and the type only affects the difficulty of getting it to happen.

Really? Canst thou easily kill a human being?
Surely all organisms have so-called mechanisms of self-defence yet when they apply them in practice they start feeling excited, not calm which seems to me to be unpleasant feelings. But that's not all: those mechanisms start working only when someone is attacking an animal. Is it not evident that to kill a defenceless child or an old man is brutal even for beasts? Surely this not that mechanism thou art talking about.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 01:07 am
@Eudaimon,
Eudaimon;95959 wrote:
The problem is that Hitler did not only hold the idea that Jews belong to inferior race but also that they deserve to be treated not like humans. I may believe they are inferior yet think it is still bad to treat them like that, just as it is obvious for us that animals are somewhat inferior to humans but this itself is not the cause to treat them with violence.

But to believe that someone, or something else, in inferior is a belief about what is true or what is false.

But to believe that such people or things deserve to be treated in a certain way, or ought to be treated in a certain way, is not a belief about what is true or false, it is a belief about what should be done to such inferior beings.

So those are two very different kinds of beliefs. One is a belief about what is a matter of fact. The other is a belief about a matter of morality. And the latter does not follow from the former. There is a profound difference between what is the case, and what ought to be the case.

(By the way, if Tolstoy thought that because only good is good, life cannot be good, why did he not think that because only happy is happy, that life cannot be happy?)

timunderwood9

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 09:36 am
@Eudaimon,
Eudaimon;95959 wrote:
Really? Canst thou easily kill a human being?
Surely all organisms have so-called mechanisms of self-defence yet when they apply them in practice they start feeling excited, not calm which seems to me to be unpleasant feelings. But that's not all: those mechanisms start working only when someone is attacking an animal. Is it not evident that to kill a defenceless child or an old man is brutal even for beasts? Surely this not that mechanism thou art talking about.

It would be that easy for a social structure designed to make me willing to kill to make me that way. And I'm fairly sure I could kill that easily if I believed in the rightness of the killing. I've actually thought about this a bit in the case of the hypothetical of a serial killer, or similarly dangerous person. And if you convince me that the old person, or the child are active serial killers, I am fairly sure that I would kill them. It would not be pleasant, but I never claimed it would be. Just that most human beings could do it in the right context.

Eudaimon

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 05:06 am
@timunderwood9,
kennethamy;95963 wrote:
But to believe that someone, or something else, in inferior is a belief about what is true or what is false.

But to believe that such people or things deserve to be treated in a certain way, or ought to be treated in a certain way, is not a belief about what is true or false, it is a belief about what should be done to such inferior beings.

So those are two very different kinds of beliefs. One is a belief about what is a matter of fact. The other is a belief about a matter of morality. And the latter does not follow from the former. There is a profound difference between what is the case, and what ought to be the case.

I can't grasp that difference. We were talking about moral relativism. I said that we had another set of beliefs (O.K., "moral beliefs", my example was wrong) we should treat others differently. Any belief is caused by conditioning and therefore has very little value, if any.
Well, for Tolstoy, as far as I know, good and happy were synonyms. Actually, "happy" was my addition, he said simply: life itself is not good, good is only good life.

timunderwood9;96017 wrote:
It would be that easy for a social structure designed to make me willing to kill to make me that way. And I'm fairly sure I could kill that easily if I believed in the rightness of the killing. I've actually thought about this a bit in the case of the hypothetical of a serial killer, or similarly dangerous person. And if you convince me that the old person, or the child are active serial killers, I am fairly sure that I would kill them. It would not be pleasant, but I never claimed it would be. Just that most human beings could do it in the right context.

Yes, they could. But I see there is a certain tension between what is naturally unpleasant like killing or better say the feelings we have when kill others on the one side and the demands of our belief system on the other. To me to break that natural law seems to be much unpleasant than not to obey that belief system.
By the way, many of those soldiers were not high-principled. They were just fullfilling commands therefore they could not have such hatred to their victims.

Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 05:45 am
@Eudaimon,
Eudaimon;66544 wrote:
To-day is the 4th of June, the 20th anniversary of suppression of Tian an men demonstration.
Those rulers, organisators and heads every time are being considered to be in guilt of such action. We curse Hitler, Stalin, Mao etc. making from them monsters. However, I personally do not see great difference between them and modern teenagers who play strategies on PC, they also have maps, calculations, cold reasoning etc. They do not usually see the consequences of their decisions unlike the executors: soldiers, policemen... Those are deemed to be not guilty because they obey orders they cannot choose. However, these are they who kill them and this are they who have to sacrifice their inner peace and compassion to other beings. To me namely these things are immoral, not blind decisions of the heads. In fact, we do not need to obey the decrees of an insane. Who are more guilty in your eyes, friends, and why.
One remark: I am against any punishments at all and I don't want you to suggest that I desire to sue anyone.

Very few teenagers thank God will ever act out in real life a computer game of imagination. We all fantasise and if we acted out some of our fantasies I think many of us would be arrested or executed. I have been so angry that I have wanted to kill a person, but my moral fibre and conscience prevents me from acting it out

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 10:00:57