Greetings

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 08:49 pm
Hello,
My name is Fred. I am a psychiatrist. I also have numerous hobbies including screenwriting, marathoning and motorcycling. I have a very limited background in philosophy. Generally speaking, I find philosophical writings to be a difficult though very gratifying to read. I suppose I am most interested in epistemology. In psychotherapy, we challenge people to confront their cognitive distortions. Because these are often rooted in early life experiences, they feel very accurate. That's why I believe that helping people to better understand "how" they know something, rather than "what" they know, may be of great value. Then there's the whole issue of expert testimony versus evidence-based medicine. (Then there's my overwhelming tendency to doubt, question, obsess...) So, I have much to learn and just perhaps a little to contribute. Glad to have found this forum.

Justin

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 11:14 pm
@Frederick phil,
Welcome Frederick! Thank you for the introduction. We have a lot of incredible minds here in the forums and hands on expertise in specific areas are always helpful. Look forward to seeing you in the forums.

de budding

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 10:16 am
@Justin,
Hi Fred,
I know what you mean about reading philosophy. I don't tend to read anything complicated or in-depth unless I have plenty of time free, pencil, paper and answers.com at the ready. Very Happy

Hope to see you around,
Dan.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 07:53:18