Just War

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » Just War

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

hue-man

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 06:51 pm
Is war ever morally justified? Why or why not?

Aedes

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 07:00 pm
@hue-man,
A just war would have to be a response to something extreme, wouldn't it?

If you were to do a risk / benefit calculus, what kind of benefit would you need in order that the suffering be worth it?

Krumple

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 08:07 pm
@hue-man,
I can only see one occurrence of war in which it is justified. That would be a defensive one. If you are being attacked, by all means, you should be allowed to defend yourself against your attacker. But to pick on another nation and sight them into changing their political or economical system because you want them to conform to your life style is not a defensive war. I can only name one time we fought a defensive war, WW2, all the others have been offensive for political, religious or economical gains. I know the US was not directly attacked by Germany in WW2 but we were requested into the war by Britain, which we allowed to suffer for many months before requested to help. People seem to forget that for the longest time the US stayed out of the war, they like to believe that the US was gung ho from the beginning, it's simply not true.

hue-man

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 08:15 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;85893 wrote:
If you were to do a risk / benefit calculus, what kind of benefit would you need in order that the suffering be worth it?

The benefit would be saving the lives of innocent people. However, the problem is that in modern warfare, many other innocent people die.

Persona phil

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 08:56 pm
@hue-man,
That would depend upon the definitive properties of what one considers "morally just", wouldn't it?

gentryman

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 07:27 am
@hue-man,
St. Augustine says yes. It depends, are you asking from a purely philosophical point of view or do you acknowledge religious suggestions?

Twistedgypsychil

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 11:50 am
@hue-man,
For survival yes, for natural resources, yes - this is a part of survival.

Jamie

hue-man

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 11:53 am
@Twistedgypsychil,
Twistedgypsychil;86617 wrote:
For survival yes, for natural resources, yes - this is a part of survival.

Jamie

So you're an immoralist, huh?

Twistedgypsychil

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 11:55 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;86624 wrote:

Define morals.
Define Immoral.

Jamie

Persona phil

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 12:15 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;86624 wrote:

It doesn't seem like they are. They would be if they possessed morals that indicated that such things were wrong.

Maybe hedonist.

/shrug

vincubus

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 12:50 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;85888 wrote:

what do you mean when you say "war"? war can be an internal conflict or external. it can involve nations trying to kill the members of other nations, opposing community factions struggling to make their respective ideology ascendant or an individual grappling with yesterdays definitions in the face of todays information.

internal conflict is not only "just", it is natural, i would say.

external conflict is on more shifting ground. opposing community factions will be assuming they are the best informed and more rational and thus better positioned, or the most justified, in pushing their agenda, by any means needed, within the law, be those legislated or merely community customs.

i think more what you are asking is does might make right. and to that i would say a resounding maybe.

if humans are prone to conflict, then it could even be argued that to not engage in war is immoral, because we are restraining our natural tendencies, and that is not "right".

Sasori-sama

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 12:57 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;85888 wrote:

This depends quite much on your own morality.

As long as there are people, there are groups, too.
As long as there are different groups, there are different moralities, too.
And as long as there are different moralities, there can't be unity.
Thus there COULD be war.

Weither there will be war or not, depends on the characters of the different moralities. If a goal a group wants to reach justifies war in that group's morality, then there probably will be war.

Twistedgypsychil

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 01:41 pm
@hue-man,
Before I am able to answer any questions, I would have to say that the OP is too vague. He/she needs to define a few things in order to move on. Until that happens, there is no answer that can be rationally given unless it is purely subjective and speculative.

Jamie

hue-man

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 02:44 pm
@Twistedgypsychil,
To all who have responded thus far,

My question is only vague if your conception of morality is vague. I would describe morality as being the concept of right and wrong action according to its utility for individual and collective well being, and cooperation between members of a group.

An immoralist is someone who judges actions less in a sense of right or wrong, and more in a sense of aesthetics. Immoralism expresses an opposition to any conventional moral code. If it is any ethics at all, it is the ethics of ambiguity.

What I see within many of the responses that have been given thus far is a failure to distinguish descriptive morality from prescriptive morality. Moral relativism, while it is true in its descriptive form, in its prescriptive form it is nothing more than moral nihilism and sometimes egoism. If indeed you believe in prescriptive relativism then this discussion is not for you.

thanks

Twistedgypsychil

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 02:53 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;86670 wrote:

My question is only vague if your conception of morality is vague. I would describe morality as being the concept of right and wrong action according to its utility for individual and collective well being, and cooperation between members of a group.

An immoralist is someone who judges actions less in a sense of right or wrong, and more in a sense of aesthetics. Immoralism expresses an opposition to any conventional moral code. If it is any ethics at all, it is the ethics of ambiguity.

What I see within many of the responses that have been given thus far is a failure to distinguish descriptive morality from prescriptive morality. Moral relativism, while it is true in its descriptive form, in its prescriptive form it is nothing more than moral nihilism and sometimes egoism. If indeed you believe in prescriptive relativism then this discussion is not for you.

thanks

So your subjective opinion is that killing no matter what is wrong. So you call me an immoralist. What if by chance that human nature is to kill and that you are wrong. Then morality would be defined differently. The narrow scope of your thinking has determined in your own mind what morality is subjectively. You have not taken into account the many facets of morals. Or perhaps you were meaning mores. Cultural mores, religious mores instead of morality?

Jamie

kennethamy

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 03:15 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;86624 wrote:

It seems to me that anyone who held that one should not defend himself, and his country from unprovoked attack would, himself, be immoral.

Persona phil

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 03:23 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;86670 wrote:
I would describe morality as being the concept of right and wrong action according to its utility for individual and collective well being, and cooperation between members of a group.

Your description would be wrong.

hue-man;86670 wrote:

Again, there is no reason why you should've decided Twisted was a immoralist. If anything, the above section reinforces such.

hue-man;86670 wrote:
Moral relativism, while it is true in its descriptive form, in its prescriptive form it is nothing more than moral nihilism

What's wrong with moral nihilism?

hue-man;86670 wrote:
If indeed you believe in prescriptive relativism then this discussion is not for you.

If anything, the door should be opened wide for us.

By setting limited standards upon the scope of substance in the discussion, you also limit insight and perspective.

Twistedgypsychil

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 03:36 pm
@Persona phil,
Persona;86690 wrote:

Again, there is no reason why you should've decided Twisted was a immoralist. If anything, the above section reinforces such.

By setting limited standards upon the scope of substance in the discussion, you also limit insight and perspective.

I think he/she is confusing morality with cultural and religious mores.

Jamie

---------- Post added 08-29-2009 at 04:55 PM ----------

hue-man;86670 wrote:

thanks

You first need to define right from wrong and the only way you can do that is to use a subjective opinion since you are not the one that creates morality except for yourself. Christian morality is different from Buddhist morality...and those moralities are different from mainstream morality. You claim that there is a difference between descriptive morality and prescriptive morality, when in reality there is no difference. You have not defined a global right and wrong. To murder might be wrong, but to kill is not in mainstream morality. If this wasnt the case, there would be no war. It is globally accepted. We practice it. This would in my case make me a moralist, not an immoralist. But in your own personal subjective opinion, I am immoralist because you do not go with mainstream morality. I do believe that what you truly mean is Cultural Mores, not morality.

Jamie

hue-man

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:49 pm
@Twistedgypsychil,
Twistedgypsychil;86676 wrote:
So your subjective opinion is that killing no matter what is wrong. So you call me an immoralist. What if by chance that human nature is to kill and that you are wrong. Then morality would be defined differently. The narrow scope of your thinking has determined in your own mind what morality is subjectively. You have not taken into account the many facets of morals. Or perhaps you were meaning mores. Cultural mores, religious mores instead of morality?

I didn't say killing no matter what is wrong. I ask if you were an immoralist because you stated that you thought war was justified for entirely selfish reasons like natural resources. Now if by natural resources you meant defending your own then I agree; but if you mean stealing other people's resources I disagree. Which one were you referring to?

Secondly, nature has nothing to do with morality, so your argument of human nature is void in this discussion. Nature is amoral.

My narrow scope of my thinking, huh? You really have no problem being outright presumptuous do you? Your narrow scope of thinking leads you to believe that you know all of my thoughts on the nature of morality and values, but you clearly don't. It's nearly self-evident that there are different conceptions of morality to anyone who knows that there are cultures and societies other than their own. You asked me what exactly I meant by moral and immoral and I gave you my description. You can choose to accept my description or reject it, but if we're not going to progress on the topic (just war theory) then we can just stop here.

---------- Post added 08-29-2009 at 10:56 PM ----------

Persona;86690 wrote:

I never said that morality can be objectively verified as a thing in itself. My description is neither true or false because it's not a proposition. That description is my conception of morality, and I conceive of it that way for reasons that have to do with practicality and utility. It's also influenced by evolutionary psychology.

Persona;86690 wrote:

I asked him/her if they were an immoralist. I didn't decide that they were.

Persona;86690 wrote:

So many things; but that's not the point of this thread. Maybe you should start a thread on that topic.

Persona;86690 wrote:

I'm limiting that perspective because that's not what this thread is about. Discussing nihilism and prescriptive relativism will not contribute to this discussion. This discussion is about the conduct of war, and we can only conclude from nihilism and prescriptive relativism that it doesn't matter.

Twistedgypsychil

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 09:25 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;86800 wrote:
I didn't say killing no matter what is wrong. I ask if you were an immoralist because you stated that you thought war was justified for entirely selfish reasons like natural resources. Now if by natural resources you meant defending your own then I agree; but if you mean stealing other people's resources I disagree. Which one were you referring to?

Secondly, nature has nothing to do with morality, so your argument of human nature is void in this discussion. Nature is amoral.

My narrow scope of my thinking, huh? You really have no problem being outright presumptuous do you? Your narrow scope of thinking leads you to believe that you know all of my thoughts on the nature of morality and values, but you clearly don't. It's nearly self-evident that there are different conceptions of morality to anyone who knows that there are cultures and societies other than their own. You asked me what exactly I meant by moral and immoral and I gave you my description. You can choose to accept my description or reject it, but if we're not going to progress on the topic (just war theory) then we can just stop here.

I dont think I will stop here. I dont think that you are justified in telling me to stop as I am challenging your point of view. First, lets examine the reasons for war. ALL war is selfish. Now, you may come back and tell me that you support war as a selfish act to preserve what the "defenders" have as far as natural resources go but its perfectly acceptable for the "attacking" society to justify their actions based on their need. They of course are going to view the society that wants to preserve what they have and thus the "defending" society as being immoral.

I will disagree with you also that human nature is amoral. I said human nature, you said nature. There is a difference. Basic survival is what humans are geared for. If your life is - or you think is - being threatened...or better yet, if your way of life is being threatened, it is "human nature" to defend or attack. This is not immoral. The only way it would be immoral is if a human put that label on it because they disagreed. Yes, in a more base life form, instinct is without conscious volition but at the human level, basic instinct - the need for survival - then is the genesis for conscious volition and enters into the arena of moral/immoral discussion and is not "amoral". Again, this would then of course be a subjective opinion...which does not necessarily define it as being immoral.

You want me to continue "war theory", but that is not what your OP has stated. You asked if war is morally justified and in order to even begin to process that, one must define generally accepted morality because all nations engage in war at some point. Whether or not that is immoral or moral is subjective.

You defined morality and I disagree and for good reason. You want someone to tell you that war is morally "not" justified. You will not get that from me because I disagree and have given you reasons as to "why" I disagree. Take that how you will.

Jamie

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » Just War
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 11:29:33