Do we need a universal standard of morality?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

SpaceChimp007

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 06:54 pm
@Mutian,
I think man needs a universal standard of morality. One, man is man. What's proper to one man is proper to every other, regardless of time and place.

It's wrong to impose physical force on another person for any reason other than self-defense. It's good to use your mind to its fullest in all of your productive endeavors.

Without a universal standard of morality, how can you judge people? How can you condemn the murderer and praise the man trying his best?

To enlist a universal moral standard enables one to judge others and treat them accordingly.

richrf

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 07:17 pm
@SpaceChimp007,
SpaceChimp007;76503 wrote:
I think man needs a universal standard of morality. One, man is man.

Hmmmm ... Not sure about this. I always think of each human being as individuals, with individual ideas, individual skills, individual life long paths. Because of this, I watch my son move ahead in his life in a totally different way than myself. And yes, he looks at things differently than I do.

Rich

SpaceChimp007

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 07:40 pm
@richrf,
richrf;76509 wrote:
Hmmmm ... Not sure about this. I always think of each human being as individuals, with individual ideas, individual skills, individual life long paths. Because of this, I watch my son move ahead in his life in a totally different way than myself. And yes, he looks at things differently than I do.

I think there's some miscommunication. Allow me to try and be a bit more clear. I'm not saying that we're all the same. In fact, I agree we're all unique.

You said your son has individual ideas. Now, wouldn't you agree there are right individual ideas and wrong individual ideas? Shouldn't certain ideas (i.e., rationality is virtuous) be universal to everyone?

I would say yes because practicing rationality is good 100% of the time to man regardless of where they live and when.

richrf

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 08:05 pm
@SpaceChimp007,
SpaceChimp007;76514 wrote:
You said your son has individual ideas. Now, wouldn't you agree there are right individual ideas and wrong individual ideas?

Hi,

Possibly. Maybe you can give me some examples of a right and wrong individual ideas that are universally accepted as being right and wrong. Not, those that you feel are right and wrong, but those that everyone believes is right and wrong.

Quote:
Shouldn't certain ideas (i.e., rationality is virtuous) be universal to everyone? I would say yes because practicing rationality is good 100% of the time to man regardless of where they live and when.

Maybe. But I would have to understand the definition of rationality before I could answer.

Rich

SpaceChimp007

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 08:43 pm
@Mutian,
Hello, Rich. I can't give you any ideas universally accepted as right for what I think is an obvious reason: not everyone agrees! But the question is "Do we need a universal morality?", not "Does everyone agree on a universal standard of morality". The standard of value should be consistent for everyone: does this further your rational, long-term self-interest (the experience of happiness in life). If something doesn't further your rational, long-term self-interest it should not be of value to you.

If your son and you want to pursue your rational, long-term self-interest to experience happiness in your life, you must uphold the virtue of rationality, which can be defined as a commitment to thinking and valuing according to reason.

(Incidentally, it's vicious and ugly for anyone to demand a universal consensus on something in order for it to be right or wrong. To suggest that every moron must agree to something is ridiculous. I'll be calling a spade a spade until the day I day regardless of what the moral-relativists say)

richrf

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 08:58 pm
@SpaceChimp007,
SpaceChimp007;76529 wrote:

(Incidentally, it's vicious and ugly for anyone to demand a universal consensus on something in order for it to be right or wrong. To suggest that every moron must agree to something is ridiculous. I'll be calling a spade a spade until the day I day regardless of what the moral-relativists say)

Hi,

Well, I guess you have a good idea of some ethics that you would like to see everyone adopt. However, I am not sure you will a clear consensus since what may be great for you might be abysmal for someone else. Who knows?

Rich

SpaceChimp007

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:04 pm
@richrf,
richrf;76530 wrote:
Hi,

Well, I guess you have a good idea of some ethics that you would like to see everyone adopt. However, I am not sure you will a clear consensus since what may be great for you might be abysmal for someone else. Who knows?

Rich

So you think rationality, therefore, reason, can be bad for someone?!

richrf

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:19 pm
@SpaceChimp007,
SpaceChimp007;76538 wrote:
So you think rationality, therefore, reason, can be bad for someone?!

I'm not sure how to define these terms. Maybe you can provide me with the definitions with some examples?

Rich

Ares phil

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 01:12 pm
@Mutian,
Mutian;73907 wrote:
I myself have been perplexed by this question for a long time. I appreciate Kant's deontological way of thinking, meanwhile agree in part with John Stuart Mill's utilitarian way of calculating ends. Do we really need a universal moral law?

I am here to beseech your insights.

I believe there must only be universiality amongs the community. There must be a standard moral law, which doesn't have to be complex, which everyone in the community, or atleast most everyone, agrees with. It creates unity and unity is important.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 10:07:03