The Good News About Morality

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » The Good News About Morality

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 02:00 am
Here is the good news about morality.

Morality is synonymous with moral value. We can now measure values. {Those who administer the HVP profile do it every day. They get some remarkable, very precise, results.}* Since morality is moral value, and values have a measure, this means that morality can be measured. [.]

Presented here are each of the major dimensions of value and their respective measures:

Intrinsic value : the power of the continuum

Extrinsic value : the size of the set of integers

Systemic value : finite (but elastic)

Those are the cardinalities, the sizes, of these basic dimensions which can be differentiated on the values spectrum - similar to the various visible light colors that can be discerned on the electromagnetic spectrum. {The radiation beams are said to be "tangible" while values are well-known intangible entities. Yet both are measurable.} For more detail and a lucid explanation, see the paper "Axiology as a Science" by R. S. Hartman,
HERE: The following article appeared in The Journal of Human Religion, Vol

It is a known fact that people are bound together by the mores in their specific culture. Mores are not to be confused with Morality, although too often it is the case that they are. It is true that the concept of society will be relevant and germane to a discussion of the concept morality. Here is why: Eventually a large majority of human society will either passively accept and/or consciously be comfortable with the conclusions reached with the aid of a universally-teachable definition of morality. They will accept it not because it was forced on them but because they wanted a more-valuable life and the then-existing professional applied ethicists (known as Life Coaches) informed them that that is the way to get it -- just as today many listen to physicians and to nutritionists because they care about physical health. The ethicists will be teachers of moral health, i.e., of how to add value to a life.

Just as Bertrand Russell defined "Number" as "the class of classes similar to each other," and R. S. Hartman defined "Value" as "the set of intension-sets - sets (of predicates) - similar to each other" - where "similar to" means "in one-to-one correspondence withr" - in the same way, I define Morality as: the (bodily) self corresponding one-to-one with the (inner) Self, all that this implies. For clarity, and for more details, see Posts # 7 at this link:
http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/philosophy-forums/branches-philosophy/ethics/4608-goodness-good-person-true-justice.html

"Morality" is a technical term in my system. It is related, by logic, to the other key terms, such as "self", "Self", "hypocrisy", "altruism", "ethical radius", and "value". In fact, morality IS moral value. "Hipocrisy" is defined as: the obverse of morality. "Altruism" is defined within this system as: moral reciprocity - for the fact is that someone who gives to others gets something in return, as R. W. Emerson has so-well argued in his essay on Compensation. My system also has within it the closely-related concept of 'enlightened self-interest,' as you can tell from Post #1 at the above-cited weblink.

I'd like to read your views on this subject and learn how they fit in with the novel frame-of-reference, a glimpse of which has been hinted at here in this post.
For further study regarding the new paradigm for Ethics, see the two citations at the end of Post #3 in the Ethics Forum link offered above.

jgweed

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 05:51 am
@deepthot,
The conclusion to be drawn from all this seems to me that we can measure an individual's or a group's actually held values. We could have done this with a show of hands, I suppose, in earlier times. We can trace, perhaps, the change in these values.
But this does not show whether a particular moral value, even less so a code of values, is "good" or even "better" than another.

deepthot

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 06:59 pm
@jgweed,
jgweed;70802 wrote:
The conclusion to be drawn from all this seems to me that we can measure an individual's or a group's actually held values. We could have done this with a show of hands, I suppose, in earlier times. We can trace, perhaps, the change in these values.
But this does not show whether a particular moral value, even less so a code of values, is "good" or even "better" than another.

In Formal Axiology the term "x is a good C" and the term "X is better than Y" are both well-defined in context. This is also true of the term "better for" and the term "ought." As you know, I employ this Axiology as the meta-language for my (theory of) Ethics.

If you read and studied the thread to which the o.p. alluded, and the two citations offered in the third post in that thread, I believe you would say we already know that some sets of moral values are better than others. The set offered in that thread to describe a (morally) "good person" has found wide agreement as a high ideal to whch a person wanting to be highly-moral could aspire. This becomes his/her goal if the individual tells himself: I want to be a good person. I WANT moral health!

If someone is willing to settle for less than the best, so be it: This is very much like a poor person willing to over-pay for an item, or to be defrauded by a con-artist; or one who signs up for a variable-rate mortgage, without reading the terms of the contract, and later pays some consequences when it all goes bust. Another analogy would be a smaoker of cigarettes who says: I know this causes a horrible death by lung cancer or emphezema but I won't make a real effort to break this habit.

The values-measuring technology to which I referred is a quantum leap ahead of a show of hands. It can give you a rating - out to a decimal fraction - of your Responsibility, Ability to work with others smoothly, your Creative capacities, your liability to slip up, your Sensitivity to human life, your Effectiveness, your Self-Awareness, your Anxiety level, your Practicality, Etc., Etc. for 40 more character qualities. Then the ratings are all integrated into a comprehensible report. The Oracle at Delphi told Socrates, "Know Thyself!" This profile really enables a person to do that.

For further details see Appendix One of the manual entitled ETHICS: A College Course, a booklet I scribbled out a while back. It has lots of flaws but you may find a little something of value to you in it.

You may read it HERE: !-- http://tinyurl.com/2mj5b3

{ p.s. I have nothing to sell. I am financially comfortable, and seek no profit, and am engaged in NO commercial ventures. All of the above was for informational purposes only.} All I care about is the advancement of ethics as a knowledge discipline - a "science" in the original sense of the word.

Comments and questions are welcome......

jeeprs

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 07:38 pm
@deepthot,
Well obviously this is a very technical approach and displays considerable research and logic. My instinctive reaction is, however, negative, I suppose because I am very suspicious of 'scientism' or the intrusion of scientific methodology into areas beyond its scope. So the idea of a 'self-knowledge kit' - fill in this form and get the result - would, I suspect, be subject to all of the many criticisms that can be levelled at intelligence testing. (Great product idea though - 'Delphic-Oracle-In-A-Box'.)

Anyway, being a spiritually-inclined type of person I have always been very suspicious of intellectual or reductionist explanations of 'why people have spiritual beliefs' which are usually ascribed to brain chemistry (man in white lab coat looks across top of clip-board at me and checks box 'has spiritual beliefs' Smile.

So I would argue that morality, ethics, and the ultimate cause of Righteous Behaviour, has to arise spontaneously from the heart in response to the recognition of the intrinsic beauty and joy of life, and that if one can't see this, it is something that needs to be sought out. Call me a romantic but the statement "morality is a technical term in my system" gives me the uncomfortable feeling that you must therefore be writing from some position superior to morality.

I respect the technical approach for many applications, for example, industrial psychology, dispute resolution and mediation, and so on. Also that you are approaching the topic with sound motivation and no ulterior motives. This is all good. But I will always maintain that the ultimate ground for moral values must be located in the realm of spiritual realisation which is inconveniently unavailable for 'objective' scrutiny.

Anyway I suppose what I have replied with is not really an argument as a statement of feeling. To this I plead guilty and will let others engage in a hopefully more reasoned and constructive dialog with you. Good luck with it.

deepthot

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 06:38 pm
@deepthot,
If people proble into my system deeply enough, they see that it recommends spritual development, and places spirituality as J-Value, which is even higher on the sprectrum than I-Vlue.

I believe it will be quite an accomplishment to get people to a point where they will even set Self-improvement as a goal, let alone aiming even higher !! As you would have learned had you read my earlier thread on The Structure of Conscience, here at the Ethics Forum:
http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/philosophy-forums/branches-philosophy/ethics/4499-structure-conscience-its-relation-inner-life.html
when one gets in touch with his Inner Self, he gains the insight that we are all connected -- definitely a spiritual view.

jeeprs

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 07:54 pm
@deepthot,
Yes - good post. I see what you mean.

deepthot

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 06:07 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;72913 wrote:
Yes - good post. I see what you mean.

When you say "I see what you mean" I'd like to know what you meant by "I see...." What did you read that you can agree with?

Life is larger than logic; but it takes logic to demonstrate that fact !

There is a place for the technical approach in theory building, but as Formal Axiology's hierarchy of values points out: Systemic values are worth the least. We need all three basic values, and use them all the time -- but Intrinsic valuation is the most valuable as basic values go; hence we ought to value intrinsically to get the most value out of life.

We ought to get involved, to seek unity and common ground, to form I-Thou relationships, to strive for Win-Win mutually-beneficial transactions, to fulfil our needs for romance, adventure, and excitement by finding our 'whole world' in one very special person with whom we form a deep commitment and a life-long partnership of sharing.

Eventually we need to affirm: I'm connected. I trust. I know. I'm responsible. I have a single-minded focus on the highest of all high values. My mind and heart are attuned to the love of loves to The Force. . I am loving, wise, prosperous, happy, and free.

jeeprs

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 06:42 pm
@deepthot,
What I meant was, when I read that other post you referred to, there is much in there I agree with. As you can probably tell from the kinds of items I post, I am generally anti-materialist and anti-technocratic in my attitude to life. Not that I don't love science and technology, because I do, but I am generally opposed to the "Science Rules" mentality. The post on the Inner Life affirms many of the things I agree with. Hence my comment. (That said, I am unlikely to become a fan of Hartman, because I simply don't have enough time to take on board yet another major philosopher. My reading list is booked out for the time being:bigsmile:)

deepthot

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 12:02 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;74413 wrote:
What I meant was, when I read that other post you referred to, there is much in there I agree with. As you can probably tell from the kinds of items I post,... Not that I don't love science and technology, because I do ...The post on the Inner Life affirms many of the things I agree with. Hence my comment. ...)

Thank you for that explanation. I would never claim that "science rules." Yet I note that Natural Philosophy evolved into Natural Science; and that Spinoza, Mill, and Sidgwick, among others, believed that Moral Philosophy would evolve into a Moral Science one day. And sure enough, today we see the rise of Moral Psychology - which is still largely philosophy, but in which experiments in Ethics are performed. To me this is a healthy development.

I am glad that you appreciated my humble effort in that post on Conscience. You do read widely, and some day it is likely you will get around to probing the ideas of R. S. Hartman. The Institute set up in his honor is now issuing a journal: The Journal of Formal Axiology: Theory and Practice. Quite stimulating intellectually. ...worth checking out !

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » The Good News About Morality
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 09:02:28