Is eudaimonia what we all desire?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 05:20 pm
@Loki phil,
A concept like eudaimonia exists in all philosophic traditions, but exactly what concept those are depend upon how we interpret the Greek, depend upon which philosopher's understanding we chose to run with.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 05:47 pm
@Loki phil,
Loki;65835 wrote:
Do you think that it is the only thing we desire for its own sake?

I don't know about that, but Kant said that happiness is not desirable unless it is deserved.

Eudaimon

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 02:50 am
@Loki phil,
Loki;74106 wrote:
Hmm... if eudaimonia is the desired final product of our striving, do you agree that Aristotle was right in how to achieve it? Could there be different ways for different persons, or are there one way for for everyone? From what I know, ancient Greek philosophers all agreed on that eudaimonia was the highest good for human beings, but differed on how to achieve it.

The difference between many greek philosophies especially concerning ethincs are superficial. Epicureans and Stoics has very much in common although they have always been struggking against each other. Eudaimonia is tranquillity which comes when one sees the way things are, that they are themselves indifferent to our happiness (take e.g. Plato's Alcibiades). That's the only way. Religious understanding (like love to god) is eudaimonistic because in depends on existence of god.

Loki;74106 wrote:
Isn't it ataraxia that you refer to here? I.e peace of mind.

It's the same. Different schools use different name. Essential is what is understood by them.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 01:11:57