A Beginner's Guide to Media Ethics

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » A Beginner's Guide to Media Ethics

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 10:47 pm
As someone that has dabbled in journalism (I used to be an editor-in-chief, copy editor, staff writer for a college newspaper), and has studied media ethics, I am going to work on an ongoing guide and discussion for media ethics. Obviously, much of the corporate media has an agenda that seems into their coverage, and what they choose to cover or ignore plays a major role in the consciousness of people. But for a democratic society, this poses a grave danger to an open society and critical thought.

News coverage should not be influence by ad dollars, private interests, and the power brokers of the world if it is to offer a democratic source of information to inform citizens about current and ongoing events. Hell, the latter barely gets a mention in today's media due to people having too short of attention spans to pay any attention to ongoing stories and events. Most news is covered in much the same manner that sports are, and it is a rather disturbing phenomenon in the news media.

With that said, here is my first link for an example of how media coverage can be fair, while promoting critical thought, with little to no bias in coverage. The Center for Public Integrity is an excellent source for investigative journalism that aims to empower people to hold the powers that be accountable for their actions. While it may seem biased against the powers that be that has to do with the fact that they are out to inform the general public in the public interest.

The Center for Public Integrity

Feel free to share links and discuss anything that has to do with media ethics. It is a dense topic, but it is one that has a very important function in a democratic society.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » A Beginner's Guide to Media Ethics
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 11:37:58