Utilitarianism and Altruism

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

click here

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 01:34 am
@MJA,
MJA wrote:
'Is the scene safe?' is the number One rule in a first response.
Helping those in need without the risk of hurting others including Oneself is the right thing to do, when safe to do so.

=
MJA

Is it only the immediate benefits that are weighed when an action is decided or acted upon? As I said earlier, what may seem like the right thing at the time could acctually lead to something worse because of unseen infinite variables. The man you save could end up being a serial killer that kills you and your family.

boagie

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 01:40 am
@click here,
Might be a helpful read!

Forget Survival of the Fittest: It Is Kindness that Counts: Scientific American

Pathfinder

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 04:56 am
@Didymos Thomas,
MJA,

What if it was a baby?

MJA

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 10:10 am
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder wrote:
MJA,

What if it was a baby?

I would try to help any or All in need, for All is truly One.
I do have some bruises in life, but I'm not a martyr as of yet; nor do I wish or intend to be. Are you?
But then perhaps we All are martyrs is our own way, giving up our lives for living, the natural process of aging, perhaps that is what true living is.
We give up our own lives to live.
I like that thought, do you?
=
MJA

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 04:54 pm
@MJA,
Boagie - thanks for the article!

click here

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 04:12 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Boagie - thanks for the article!

You recieved thanks for the thanks...

Pathfinder

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 06:46 am
@Didymos Thomas,
My point was that many times people will react out of sheer concern for the victim without thinking of their own safety.

Many times the fact that it may be a helpless victim triggers some sort of hero mechanism that casts aside all logic and common sense and before they know it they have already done what was necessary to save the victim.

This has happened to me many times. Once was for my hunting dog. In hindsight of course I realized how stupid it was, but at the time common sense was not on the menu.

Elmud

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 07:43 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
So it is agreed that, at least in some cases, Mill's ethics stand in opposition to altruism?

There is a third possibility. Assuming the man had time to think about the second choice, suppose he spent the rest of his life regretting the decision he made. He put himself ,his life ahead of the man who was drowning. Yeah. I think his ethics stand in opposition to altruism. It would be a mans first impulse to help. That seems natural to me. To consider all of the possible consequences, that would seem unnatural to me.

Maybe this Mills guy is trying to infer that we stumble, bumble and fumble around trying to do the right thing and we just do not know how. He may be right to a certain extent. But, at least we try. Seems to me that the trying is what counts. Ya spend time considering all the possibilities, nothing is accomplished. I'll pass on reading his ideas on the matter.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 08:51 pm
@Elmud,
The thing is that Mill, in Utilitarianism, states over and over again how his moral ethic is altruistic. He thought Utilitarianism was in no way opposed to altruism, but rather a brilliant statement of altruism. He goes so far as to say that God and Jesus are utilitarians.

Elmud

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 09:13 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
The thing is that Mill, in Utilitarianism, states over and over again how his moral ethic is altruistic. He thought Utilitarianism was in no way opposed to altruism, but rather a brilliant statement of altruism. He goes so far as to say that God and Jesus are utilitarians.

"When you have done it unto the least of these, you've done it unto me". I'd have to disagree with the man.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 12:35:51