The paper boy story

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » The paper boy story

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

MITech

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 05:24 pm
There is a paper boy who is told by his boss who works for a the Toronto Star newspaper that he will deliver 100 papers. He gets these 100 papers delivered to his house everyday. One day though he only received 90 papers. Somehow he needs to get 10 papers. He was told by his boss that he can go to the corner of the street and take a quarter fron the paper stand and take as many as he needs to. One quarter though is supposed to pay for one paper. These papers in the stand are payed for by the city and are not placed from the Toronto Star. The boss does not pay for the papers in the stand. The paper boy also cannot call up his boss and ask for 10 more papers because his boss wouldn't get them delivered in time for the paper boy to deliver them. Would it be ethical for the boy to take as many papers from the stand as he needs after all his boss said he could. What should the paper boy do in a situation like this. How do you suppose the paper boy should get the papers?

This was a question I was given today in class. 2 people thought it was ethical for the paper boy to take the papers from the stand. 2 people said it was not ethical to take papers from the stand.

rambo phil

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 10:02 pm
@MITech,
He's going to need ten I.O.U's either way. Question is who is he going to owe?

click here

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 08:08 am
@MITech,
MITech wrote:
There is a paper boy who is told by his boss who works for a the Toronto Star newspaper that he will deliver 100 papers. He gets these 100 papers delivered to his house everyday. One day though he only received 90 papers. Somehow he needs to get 10 papers. He was told by his boss that he can go to the corner of the street and take a quarter fron the paper stand and take as many as he needs to. One quarter though is supposed to pay for one paper. These papers in the stand are payed for by the city and are not placed from the Toronto Star. The boss does not pay for the papers in the stand. The paper boy also cannot call up his boss and ask for 10 more papers because his boss wouldn't get them delivered in time for the paper boy to deliver them. Would it be ethical for the boy to take as many papers from the stand as he needs after all his boss said he could. What should the paper boy do in a situation like this. How do you suppose the paper boy should get the papers?

This was a question I was given today in class. 2 people thought it was ethical for the paper boy to take the papers from the stand. 2 people said it was not ethical to take papers from the stand.

I think we may be missing more info from the story?

Why did he only get 90 that day? Was it his bosses fault? How are we defining 'ethical'?

Are we simply asking if it is wrong for him to take the papers? I would say yes. If it was his bosses fault then the boss gets the blame.

In life you can't make excuses for your own mistakes to justify how you choose to rectify them.

If we all did that someone could say "I didn't study in school when I was a kid so that is why I am poor and have to steal from banks."

Bones-O

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 01:19 pm
@MITech,
I don't think it matters where the other 10 papers went: the boy's responsibility started with those delivered. Why would he essentially steal 10 papers? He is neither the culprit nor the victim of the problem. Deliver the 90 and let the other 10 recipients complain to the newspaper.

What the question has tried, and failed, to do is provide the boy with good reason for theft.

click here

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 04:10 am
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
I don't think it matters where the other 10 papers went: the boy's responsibility started with those delivered. Why would he essentially steal 10 papers? He is neither the culprit nor the victim of the problem. Deliver the 90 and let the other 10 recipients complain to the newspaper.

What the question has tried, and failed, to do is provide the boy with good reason for theft.

Or maybe what the question has tried and suceeded in doing is hiding a major fault in its reasoning to test the criticalness of the recipient? :sarcastic:

Though I'm gonna side with the iffy question, side...

Bones-O

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 10:12 am
@click here,
click here wrote:
Or maybe what the question has tried and suceeded in doing is hiding a major fault in its reasoning to test the criticalness of the recipient? :sarcastic:

Though I'm gonna side with the iffy question, side...

Is posseeeebluh! But it's posted in Ethics so I'm guessing this was an ethics class not a logic class.

xris

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 12:59 pm
@Bones-O,
Am i missing something? why cant he buy the missing papers and get the money of his boss.Imust read it again..

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » The paper boy story
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 04:23:52