Challenge the validity of the Abolitionist directive

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » Challenge the validity of the Abolitionist directive

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 04:30 pm
Abolitionism is a normative ethic meant to apply to public policy. It is a core ethical principle used to evaluate rationales which are used to create public policy. Its core principle is;

The use of science to;

1. eliminate involuntary suffering
2. maximize voluntary happiness
3. eliminate involuntary death

(through the protection of human rights)

----------------

Please post your criticism as well as support - please include your rationale either way.

I will give $300 through paypal to the person who can invalidate this directive using a logical rationale.:a-ok:

(unqualified opinions won't work)

Sean Henderson

Justin

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 05:52 pm
@Abolitionist,
Hmmm... I cannot say I agree or disagree but if we're going to figure out how to use science to do the things you have listed, which apply to humankind, don't we first need to understand the science of humankind? How can we use science through the protection of human rights when most of us don't have a clue as to the what and why we humans have created a perception of rights to begin with?

You may want to describe better what you are asking us to invalidate.

Abolitionist

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 06:21 pm
@Justin,
Justin wrote:
Hmmm... I cannot say I agree or disagree but if we're going to figure out how to use science to do the things you have listed, which apply to humankind, don't we first need to understand the science of humankind? How can we use science through the protection of human rights when most of us don't have a clue as to the what and why we humans have created a perception of rights to begin with?

You may want to describe better what you are asking us to invalidate.

do we need to understand a science of humankind to use science? apparently not

we do have human rights in society - why does it matter why we arrived at them?

the opposite of human rights is greater good decisions, or lack of any testable rationale

the latter is tyranny by the strong and utilitarianism is invalid, for;

1. we don't have a way to define good and bad that is universal
2. we can't measure good and bad
3. we can't predict good and bad

there are three things to invalidate (at least);

1. that there should be a prime ethical directive by which we test the rationale for public policy

2. that the validity of a prime ethical directive should be openly debated and testable

3. that the current ethical directive I propose is valid - that it defines universal human desires as they can be observed

Aedes

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 07:27 pm
@Abolitionist,
Abolitionist;41107 wrote:
Its core principle is;

The use of science to;

Thanks for the post!

Just out of curiosity, is this a hierarchy, or is it in no particular order?

Look, I'm all for human rights and I'm all for these principles, and I've spent many months of my life practicing medicine in developing countries (Gambia, Senegal, Ghana, Burkina Faso, and the Peruvian Amazon).

But I know through practical experience that these principles:

1) WILL inevitably come into conflict with one another and you have not offered some kind of arbitration (for example when suffering is so great that life is worse than death)

2) there may be more important principles that you have left out (for example most people will choose autonomy over happiness)

3) You do not make allowances for situations in which science should keep its hands off -- because disrupting equilibrium can make things worse

4) You do not account for chaos, i.e. the inevitability that complex systems cannot be completely understood. And thus, science will ALWAYS be applied with some degree of uncertainty.

5) Science cannot advance and be reapplied nearly as quickly as conditions change. You have not mentioned how science will accomodate change in the world.

6) You do not take into account cost-effectiveness, i.e. the issue that the most effective interventions may be the least scientific -- a whole lot of lives could be saved just from maintaining roads

7) A lot of great scientific advances have come about because of a mountain of earlier research that never anticipated some kind of practical application. The pursuit of "knowledge for the sake of knowledge" in science is necessary -- because that is what allows us to make unanticipated discoveries.

My point is, when you're presenting a few very vague but indisputable "good" principles, you're not exactly stringing together something amenable to a refutation. I mean everyone who isn't a sociopath agrees with these things.

But are you proposing a philosophy or are you proposing a plan of action? Everyone from UNICEF to the World Bank to the Gates Foundation to Medicins sans Frontiers believes in these things.

Furthermore, I'm not even clear if you're concentrating on a humanitarian ideal or rather a scientific ideal.

The problem with making this a scientific ideal is that everything from public health up to multivisceral organ transplantation will save lives, improve people's pursuit of happiness, and limit suffering. But science exists in a world with great social and economic asymmetries, with limited resources, and with ethical constraints. You can't do everything.

The real question for you to answer is "what next?" If you can give a good answer to that, then you deserve to keep your $300.

:flowers:

Quote:

there are three things to invalidate (at least);

1. that there should be a prime ethical directive by which we test the rationale for public policy

2. that the validity of a prime ethical directive should be openly debated and testable

3. that the current ethical directive I propose is valid - that it defines universal human desires as they can be observed
I'm not interested in a challenge for your money. You said in your intro thread that you're a student. Keep your money.

I'm puzzled by this challenge, though. I mean you're not saying anything new at all, these debates about codification of human rights have been happening in various forms at least since Nuremberg (if not before -- certainly the European abolitionist movements in the 18th and early 19th century made arguments for human rights).

Furthermore, every ethical philosopher from Plato through Kant and Mill had what you phrase a "prime ethical directive". And in the case of Aristotle, Mill, and other consequentialist philosophers, the ethical directive was based on outcomes (much like you mention).

You fall into a trap by promoting an ethics-justified science, but then asking that the ethical directive be testable. Unless this is scientifically testable, then what's the point? I mean we can get things right in our heads but be very very wrong in the world. Yet for a "prime ethical directive" to be scientifically testable, you need to find ways to cross-culturally and uniformly define, quantify, and prioritize your outcome measures. The more specific you are, the more powerful this could be; but the more specific you are, the more absolutely impossible it will be for you to generalize. I mean how on earth can you say what happiness and suffering mean to every individual on earth?

Finally, why would you challenge us to invalidate fairly self-evident, almost banal statements of good things for humanity (like avoidance of suffering)? Whom do you expect to actually invalidate it? Your conception of ethics, just like mine, is idealistic and it is empathetic. And that means you're just not going to be open to cold existential arguments that seem to dismiss the importance of anything.

So I commend you highly for your attitude towards humanity, which I share. I wish you would concentrate your efforts on 1) identification of problems, 2) identification of solutions, and 3) identification of assessment tools to see how your solutions might work. THIS is how you make the world a better place.

:a-ok:

Khethil

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 06:42 am
@Abolitionist,
Abolitionist wrote:
Abolitionism is a normative ethic meant to apply to public policy. It is a core ethical principle used to evaluate rationales which are used to create public policy. Its core principle is;

The use of science to;

----------------

Please post your criticism as well as support - please include your rationale either way.

I will give $300 through paypal to the person who can invalidate this directive using a logical rationale.:a-ok:

(unqualified opinions won't work)

Sean Henderson

I've gone through the basics and definition of the linked site and this all sounds well and good (except the 'reward' portion <ugh>). But I am curious as to one aspect: You say "the use of science" to achieve these worthy goals. Does the abolitionist directive mean to say that 'science' is the key to these ends? Or perhaps is it only saying that it happens to be concerned with the scientific aspect.

I'm also a little curious as to the wording: When I say I want to 'eliminate involuntary suffering' there's a rather explicit message there that I'm not concerned with 'voluntary' suffering. As silly as this sounds, I find that carefully-chosen words are often so for very specific reasons. What say ye on 'voluntary' suffering? :p

... same thing for 'voluntary happiness'. "Voluntary" was put there on purpose (at least that's what I'm guessing)... so "damn those inflicting unwanted happiness?" Perhaps there's nothing here but word-modifiers that don't mean anything; but if not, could you elaborate?

Thanks, we look forward to your replies.

xris

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 07:02 am
@Khethil,
Ill give half a dozen eggs through the post if any one can prove that happiness is voluntary..Oh im so happy..Only insignificant unprofessional opinions will count.

Abolitionist

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 06:42 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
I've gone through the basics and definition of the linked site and this all sounds well and good (except the 'reward' portion <ugh>). But I am curious as to one aspect: You say "the use of science" to achieve these worthy goals. Does the abolitionist directive mean to say that 'science' is the key to these ends? Or perhaps is it only saying that it happens to be concerned with the scientific aspect.

I wish I could offer $3,000,000!

Yes, science is deemed to be necessary to accomplish the elimination of involuntary death and involuntary suffering. Science is also needed for individuals to be able to pursue greater happiness due to the biological realities controlling the subjective experience of happiness.

Khethil wrote:
I'm also a little curious as to the wording: When I say I want to 'eliminate involuntary suffering' there's a rather explicit message there that I'm not concerned with 'voluntary' suffering. As silly as this sounds, I find that carefully-chosen words are often so for very specific reasons. What say ye on 'voluntary' suffering? :p

... same thing for 'voluntary happiness'. "Voluntary" was put there on purpose (at least that's what I'm guessing)... so "damn those inflicting unwanted happiness?" Perhaps there's nothing here but word-modifiers that don't mean anything; but if not, could you elaborate?

Thanks, we look forward to your replies

it may be true in some sense that there in nothing that is involuntarily. For example, free-will has never been proven. However within a social contract and public policy - individual responsibility, informed consent, and choice are needed. Thus the word voluntary or involuntary.

xris wrote:
Ill give half a dozen eggs through the post if any one can prove that happiness is voluntary..Oh im so happy..Only insignificant unprofessional opinions will count.

We're talking about a social contract whereby we have informed consent and are held responsible for our actions. True, objective reality is a construct - but it is necessary.

Aedes wrote:

This I will answer separately below

Aedes wrote:
Look, I'm all for human rights and I'm all for these principles, and I've spent many months of my life practicing medicine in developing countries (Gambia, Senegal, Ghana, Burkina Faso, and the Peruvian Amazon).

But I know through practical experience that these principles:

1) WILL inevitably come into conflict with one another and you have not offered some kind of arbitration (for example when suffering is so great that life is worse than death)

I will address any example you give. In this case : it should be the right of the individual to end their life if they choose. Not that society shouldn't attempt to provide them with other options.

Aedes wrote:
2) there may be more important principles that you have left out (for example most people will choose autonomy over happiness)

that would be considered their attempt at voluntary happiness, a concept similar to Peter Singer's preference utilitarianism

Aedes wrote:
3) You do not make allowances for situations in which science should keep its hands off -- because disrupting equilibrium can make things worse

science is used to measure equilibrium, I can only address specific examples

Aedes wrote:
4) You do not account for chaos, i.e. the inevitability that complex systems cannot be completely understood. And thus, science will ALWAYS be applied with some degree of uncertainty.

we cannot predict the future, that why I propose that we work through human rights rather than using greater good thinking to determine our public policy. I agree that we cannot account for everything, but we can only work with what is part of our existing knowledge base and allow for new knowledge and reevaluations of knowledge.

Aedes wrote:
5) Science cannot advance and be reapplied nearly as quickly as conditions change. You have not mentioned how science will accomodate change in the world.

science is always changing to adapt, that's the best we can do. Whether or not we can completely eliminate involuntary suffering or death doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

Aedes wrote:
6) You do not take into account cost-effectiveness, i.e. the issue that the most effective interventions may be the least scientific -- a whole lot of lives could be saved just from maintaining roads

economics is also a science but we can't predict the future economically, if a proposal is cheaper and just as good why wouldn't we choose to implement it?

Aedes wrote:
7) A lot of great scientific advances have come about because of a mountain of earlier research that never anticipated some kind of practical application. The pursuit of "knowledge for the sake of knowledge" in science is necessary -- because that is what allows us to make unanticipated discoveries.

I agree that society should fund pure research (whether or not pure research is actually possible) - as we have alot to understand about our world before we can eliminate suffering and aging and significantly increase happiness. That's why the ethical directive supports the societal pursuit of expanding our knowledge base. The means to achieve the ethical directive are not specified accept that science will be used and human rights should determine how science is applied.

Aedes wrote:
My point is, when you're presenting a few very vague but indisputable "good" principles, you're not exactly stringing together something amenable to a refutation. I mean everyone who isn't a sociopath agrees with these things.

excellent, that's the idea - to create a universal principle that is used to evaluate public policy. If you could refute it, then it wouldn't be universal.

Aedes wrote:
But are you proposing a philosophy or are you proposing a plan of action? Everyone from UNICEF to the World Bank to the Gates Foundation to Medicins sans Frontiers believes in these things.

an ethical principle used to evaluate public policy. The utility is this;

within a legal rational authority we use ethical principles to determine the validity of different courses of action (public policies). If these ethical principles contradict each other - how do we decide which action to take or do we allow power to decide? Letting mass opinion decide would be another prime ethical directive. However we know that mass opinion as well as representative decisions are not the best representations of universal human desires.

Aedes wrote:
Furthermore, I'm not even clear if you're concentrating on a humanitarian ideal or rather a scientific ideal.

why does that need to be clear to determine if the directive is valid for the purpose of determining the validity of public policy?

Aedes wrote:
The problem with making this a scientific ideal is that everything from public health up to multivisceral organ transplantation will save lives, improve people's pursuit of happiness, and limit suffering. But science exists in a world with great social and economic asymmetries, with limited resources, and with ethical constraints. You can't do everything.

the debate about how to prioritize our efforts according to the ethical directive would be ongoing and it would never be a static formula.

Aedes wrote:
The real question for you to answer is "what next?" If you can give a good answer to that, then you deserve to keep your $300.

why is that the real question? I can make many recommendations about what to do, but it shouldn't be my opinions that are used, it should be debated. I make many recommendations on the Abolitionist Society forums. Some important recommendations are : mandatory pre-implantation genetic diagnosis to eliminate known bad genes, a decentralized world government which allows for localized laws, etc.. - there's too much detail to post here.

Aedes wrote:
:flowers:

I'm not interested in a challenge for your money. You said in your intro thread that you're a student. Keep your money.

I'm puzzled by this challenge, though. I mean you're not saying anything new at all, these debates about codification of human rights have been happening in various forms at least since Nuremberg (if not before -- certainly the European abolitionist movements in the 18th and early 19th century made arguments for human rights).

don't feel bad about taking my money, I'm happy to give it away for this. I already have a professional job and am going to school simply for credibility in philosophy rather than to earn a living. Abolishing involuntary suffering and death aren't new? Using biotechnology to accomplish our objectives is relatively recent. Had Thomas Jefferson known about the prospects of biotechnology, the Declaration of Independence might have been very different.

Aedes wrote:
Furthermore, every ethical philosopher from Plato through Kant and Mill had what you phrase a "prime ethical directive". And in the case of Aristotle, Mill, and other consequentialist philosophers, the ethical directive was based on outcomes (much like you mention).

yes it's a time honored traditation but the Abolitionist directive is not replicated anywhere.

Aedes wrote:
You fall into a trap by promoting an ethics-justified science, but then asking that the ethical directive be testable. Unless this is scientifically testable, then what's the point? I mean we can get things right in our heads but be very very wrong in the world.

you don't think that ethical directives should be testable?

It is scientifically testable - you can scientifically test the premises underlying the Abolitionist directive determining it's soundness. For example : behaviorism demonstrates that we make decisions in order to avoid death and pain and seek happiness when all other variables (various beliefs) are accounted for. Take a newborn baby or any adult and observe why they do what they do scientifically - this observation forms the universal principles which form the universal ethical directive.

The formulation is created as it is - because only a social contract which serves the inherent universal desires of all those it covers is valid.

Aedes wrote:
Yet for a "prime ethical directive" to be scientifically testable, you need to find ways to cross-culturally and uniformly define, quantify, and prioritize your outcome measures. The more specific you are, the more powerful this could be; but the more specific you are, the more absolutely impossible it will be for you to generalize. I mean how on earth can you say what happiness and suffering mean to every individual on earth?

the outcome measures are separate from the principle used to determine which outcomes should be used. It is impossible to quantify preference, happiness, and suffering - via a hedonic calculus. Therefore we can only protect rights.

Aedes wrote:
Finally, why would you challenge us to invalidate fairly self-evident, almost banal statements of good things for humanity (like avoidance of suffering)? Whom do you expect to actually invalidate it? Your conception of ethics, just like mine, is idealistic and it is empathetic. And that means you're just not going to be open to cold existential arguments that seem to dismiss the importance of anything.

why? because we haven't adopted it yet. I do expect that one of you will create a more valid formulation and will take my money.

Aedes wrote:
So I commend you highly for your attitude towards humanity, which I share. I wish you would concentrate your efforts on 1) identification of problems, 2) identification of solutions, and 3) identification of assessment tools to see how your solutions might work. THIS is how you make the world a better place.

the problems are determined by an ethical directive, the solutions should be open to debate (I have created an open forum for this and put my thoughts and recommendations there), the people will decide individually how the solutions work for themselves.

Define better.

Don't you think that having an ethical directive influences all public policies? Look at the influence of the declaration of independence - if only we stuck to it. The Bush administration goes directly against the declaration of independence by preventing biotechnology aimed at enhancement.

How have you quantified which measures make the world better? It can't be done. Instead you can only determine if certain voluntary actions are acceptable according to an ethical directive.

Aedes wrote:

While it is broken into 3 principles (death, happiness, suffering) - it is essentially a unitary principle

for : it is the pursuit of lifelong individual happiness observed in terms of opposites

life-death
happiness-suffering

as all distinctions have opposites within objective reality

but it is still a singular desire - the desire to experience as much happiness as possible for as long as possible (suffering and death detract from this)

-------------------

any recommendations on how best to protect the rights of individuals to pursue lifelong individual happiness should be open to continual debate and not form a static principle

however, we still need a singular principle by which to make decisions within a legal rational authority - otherwise we'd never make any decisions or they would be made by powerful figures

I can make recommendations about how I think we should prioritize. For example, longevity is of prime importance in lifelong individual happiness (obviously if you are dead you can not experience voluntary happiness).

It's similar to the concept of triage.

So we should spent alot of money on research aimed at eliminating aging and accidental death.

We can also observe that it is more difficult to increase happiness than to increase suffering due to the design of the hedonic treadmill.

So preventing poverty and abuse are more important than creating luxuries.

Aedes

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 07:59 pm
@Aedes,
Abolitionist;41306 wrote:
I will address any example you give. In this case : it should be the right of the individual to end their life if they choose.
That addresses autonomy, which is NOT one of your three principles. Why not?

Furthermore, your whole pretext is that this is about public policy. What about public policy allows you to of necessity come to this bizarre answer? We're talking about public policies in which various "good" choices come into conflict. Examples hardly matter unless you actually believe that it is impossible for these to come into conflict.

You also glaringly miss a HUGE principle which is the FIRST principle of medical ethics:

Primum non nocere, aka do no harm.

In the absence of some way to reign in chaos, you risk great harm by implementing large scale public policies. And your FIRST principle should be to not cause harm.

Quote:
that would be considered their attempt at voluntary happiness
Autonomy and happiness are not synonyms, not by any stretch. As Satan said in Paradise Lost, "Tis better to rule in Hell than serve in Heaven."

Quote:
science is used to measure equilibrium
That's sheer nonsense. I mean the majority of scientific research, from climatology to evolution to astronomy is the study of major changes. Where do you get your ideas about science??? I'm sorry, but if you really believe that science is used to measure equilibrium, then I find it hard to entertain any other contention you make about science.

That's aside from the fact that you shirked my point. Building the Aswan Dam -- a GREAT idea to secure drinking water, irrigation, and energy for Egypt. Of course there is now epidemic malaria and schistosomiasis as a result. That's what can happen when you disrupt equilibrium.

Quote:
economics is also a science but we can't predict the future economically, if a proposal is cheaper and just as good why wouldn't we choose to implement it?
We should. But you left out of your trinity of principles any way to arbitrate, that's why I asked.

Quote:
excellent, that's the idea - to create a universal principle that is used to evaluate public policy. If you could refute it, then it wouldn't be universal.
Why this obsession with refutation? Refutation is a rhetorical game, and absence of refutation is not any kind of validation. Propose an intervention and then validate it through demonstration. If you want something to be beyond refutation, then you can propose something utterly vague -- like a committment to "world peace", or "happiness".

Aedes wrote:
Abolitionist wrote:
why does that need to be clear to determine if the directive is valid for the purpose of determining the validity of public policy?
The directive is useless for public policy, because it's generic and vague. But it DOES have value as a scientific directive, because it can alter the flow of funding and operational support.

Aedes wrote:
Abolitionist wrote:
why is that the real question?
Because you don't actually say anything with your principles. Everyone agrees. So what next? I completely agree with your first principles. And I can tell you how I used them today, for instance -- I run a pediatric HIV clinic, and I had about 8 kids with AIDS that I saw. Sure those humanitarian principles were somewhere in the back of my mind, but it doesn't matter -- there are real problems with real solutions in front of us, and spending time dwelling on feel-good generalities doesn't actually accomplish anything.

Quote:
Some important recommendations are : mandatory pre-implantation genetic diagnosis to eliminate known bad genes
PRE-IMPLANTATION?!?!? So you're saying that EVERY PREGNANCY should be in a test tube????

Oh boy...

Abolitionist

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 08:44 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
That addresses autonomy, which is NOT one of your three principles. Why not?

autonomy is addressed by the words voluntary and involuntary.

Aedes wrote:
Furthermore, your whole pretext is that this is about public policy. What about public policy allows you to of necessity come to this bizarre answer? We're talking about public policies in which various "good" choices come into conflict. Examples hardly matter unless you actually believe that it is impossible for these to come into conflict.

Which answer? I've lost track, can you create a separate post with the entire question?

Aedes wrote:
You also glaringly miss a HUGE principle which is the FIRST principle of medical ethics:

Primum non nocere, aka do no harm.

that would be covered by involuntary suffering, harm could be justified if it was chosen by the patient - like assisted suicide.

Aedes wrote:
In the absence of some way to reign in chaos, you risk great harm by implementing large scale public policies. And your FIRST principle should be to not cause harm.

why, because it's part of medical ethics at present? We will have large scale public policies regardless.

Aedes wrote:
Autonomy and happiness are not synonyms, not by any stretch. As Satan said in Paradise Lost, "Tis better to rule in Hell than serve in Heaven."

voluntary and involuntary happiness and suffering are the terms used - this includes the use of informed consent and autonomous choices.

Aedes wrote:
That's sheer nonsense. I mean the majority of scientific research, from climatology to evolution to astronomy is the study of major changes. Where do you get your ideas about science??? I'm sorry, but if you really believe that science is used to measure equilibrium, then I find it hard to entertain any other contention you make about science.

What is sheer nonsense? What are you referring to? Yes, science can be used to measure equilibrium, what else do you propose to measure equilibrium?

Aedes wrote:
That's aside from the fact that you shirked my point. Building the Aswan Dam -- a GREAT idea to secure drinking water, irrigation, and energy for Egypt. Of course there is now epidemic malaria and schistosomiasis as a result. That's what can happen when you disrupt equilibrium.

there is no such thing as an equilibrium, all systems are in movement and change. If you are afraid of disrupting equilibrium you can't do anything. We will always make choices and learn from them. All we can do is use the knowledge we do have. So if you know that something will cause a bad consequence then don't do it - did the Aswan Dam builders know what would happen or did anyone think it would?

Aedes wrote:
We should. But you left out of your trinity of principles any way to arbitrate, that's why I asked.

I don't follow : we should what? Yes please do ask for clarification and criticize. However, I'm saying that the principle itself is an ideal and not a method of arbitration among what appear to be separate pieces of the same directive. I explained that to observe the inherent desire you can break it into pieces objectively - however it's a singular principle without conflict within itself.

Aedes wrote:
Why this obsession with refutation? Refutation is a rhetorical game, and absence of refutation is not any kind of validation. Propose an intervention and then validate it through demonstration. If you want something to be beyond refutation, then you can propose something utterly vague -- like a committment to "world peace", or "happiness".

I did ask for validation as well. Do you understand that the purpose of creating a prime ethical directive is to create something universal which cannot be refuted? If no one can refute it, then it will appear to be more acceptable and thus hopefully implemented.

Aedes wrote:
The directive is useless for public policy, because it's generic and vague. But it DOES have value as a scientific directive, because it can alter the flow of funding and operational support.

it's an ethical directive by which we evaluate which rights should be assigned to humans. It's very specific about how to determine what rights we should have and hardly generic in terms of real world determinations of protected rights.

Aedes wrote:
Because you don't actually say anything with your principles. Everyone agrees. So what next? I completely agree with your first principles. And I can tell you how I used them today, for instance -- I run a pediatric HIV clinic, and I had about 8 kids with AIDS that I saw. Sure those humanitarian principles were somewhere in the back of my mind, but it doesn't matter -- there are real problems with real solutions in front of us, and spending time dwelling on feel-good generalities doesn't actually accomplish anything.

not everyone agrees (because they haven't debated ;-) )and the directive hasn't been implemented - when it is then it will still need to be debated openly in an ongoing manner. We should always debate the rationale for determining rights and public policy. Public policy is very real, though not immediately gratifying to work with.

Aedes wrote:
PRE-IMPLANTATION?!?!? So you're saying that EVERY PREGNANCY should be in a test tube????

Oh boy...

who said anything about test tubes?, only screening before implantation - implantation is widely used in pregnancies within a womb.

how do we create a global government whereby we can live in non-competitive status (more specifically the elimination of nationalistic wars)?

partly by creating a universal ethical directive which all can agree upon

actually it's very possible to refute the premises underlying the ethical directive making it's conclusion unsound

I've changed the formula many times myself already...

Aedes wrote:

then why are you debating on a philosophy forum, obviously debating has value and people look to examples perceived as strong for guidance

what better way to make a strong principle than to encourage others to tear it apart?

ultimately the real goal to accomplish is to install the ethic and actually have it guide public policy - sure there are humanitarian institutions but governments as a whole have a very different ethical directive (nationalistic power is one of them)

most governments on this earth are determined through the whims of dictators, just like America, the UK, and much of Europe - not to mention the 3rd world countries

why do you think they need medics like you over there?

because the government does not care about universal human rights

I find your post offense - it seems like an attempt to devalue out of frustration or a sense of repulsion at something you don't like

Aedes

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 06:46 am
@Abolitionist,
Abolitionist;41369 wrote:
then why are you debating on a philosophy forum, obviously debating has value and people look to examples perceived as strong for guidance
I'm not debating you, because I don't disagree with your general principles. We're discussing this. I don't think your principles will fall in a debate, but I don't think it matters either -- they're just too removed from policy decisions.

Quote:
ultimately the real goal to accomplish is to install the ethic and actually have it guide public policy - sure there are humanitarian institutions but governments as a whole have a very different ethical directive (nationalistic power is one of them)
What you're missing is that you can rationalize ANYTHING as intended to increase human happiness. Including starting a war in Iraq, right? A means to an end of spreading democracy through that oppressed region. Deposing a brutal dictator. Vanquishing his weapons of mass destruction programs. Etc. Sure, it's all crap, but I think the Bush administration deep down thought that they were going to make the world a better place.

Quote:
most governments on this earth are determined through the whims of dictators, just like America, the UK, and much of Europe - not to mention the 3rd world countries

why do you think they need medics like you over there?

because the government does not care about universal human rights
That's FAR from the truth. The problem is one of resources. Senegal and Ghana have about as good, noble, and honest governments as you'll find anywhere in the developing world, and Gambia while imperfect partners closely with aid organizations and medical research.

Quote:
I find your post offense - it seems like an attempt to devalue out of frustration or a sense of repulsion at something you don't like
I share your values. I just find them too vague to guide or even inspire policy. The only thing that repulses me is the idea that public policy can start with philosophical principles rather than careful study of problems.

Abolitionist;41348 wrote:
did the Aswan Dam builders know what would happen or did anyone think it would?
Yes, but not the people who made the policies.

Quote:
I did ask for validation as well. Do you understand that the purpose of creating a prime ethical directive is to create something universal which cannot be refuted? If no one can refute it, then it will appear to be more acceptable and thus hopefully implemented.
I do understand. But the problem is that public policy is almost never based on prime ethical directives, because it's pragmatics that determine what we do. If prime ethical directives were important to public policy, then we would have intervened in Darfur years ago, and the Rwandan genocide would have never happened.

Quote:
We should always debate the rationale for determining rights and public policy. Public policy is very real, though not immediately gratifying to work with.
I know -- I'm on one national policy committee and several institutional committees, I understand. But determining the principles is easy. What you do with them as hard. I'm sure Heinrich Himmler believed that the SS campaign was one of happiness and minimization of suffering, as his quotes would indicate. And in fact the Nazis claimed a scientific basis. But on the other hand, they restricted this principle to "aryan" people and butchered 11-15 million non-"aryans". My point, in other words, is that it is possible to hold your 'directive' and not do any good with it if your downstream policies and decisions are barbaric, ignorant, or blind to reality.

Quote:
who said anything about test tubes?, only screening before implantation - implantation is widely used in pregnancies within a womb.
There's something you're not understanding here. Implantation occurs within a few days of conception. Not only does no one knows that they are pregnant at this point, but there is also no way to do genetic screening at this stage without an extremely high risk of pregnancy loss.

Pre-implantation screening is only done with in vitro fertilization, i.e. when you already have an early embryo in a test tube. That's why I'm befuddled by the proposal to screen ALL pregnancies before implantation.

Abolitionist

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 09:25 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
I'm not debating you, because I don't disagree with your general principles. We're discussing this. I don't think your principles will fall in a debate, but I don't think it matters either -- they're just too removed from policy decisions.

if that's the case you should be promoting the Abolitionist ethical directive

Aedes wrote:
What you're missing is that you can rationalize ANYTHING as intended to increase human happiness. Including starting a war in Iraq, right? A means to an end of spreading democracy through that oppressed region. Deposing a brutal dictator. Vanquishing his weapons of mass destruction programs. Etc. Sure, it's all crap, but I think the Bush administration deep down thought that they were going to make the world a better place.

and what am I missing about that? I'm saying the means are open to debate.

Aedes wrote:
That's FAR from the truth. The problem is one of resources. Senegal and Ghana have about as good, noble, and honest governments as you'll find anywhere in the developing world, and Gambia while imperfect partners closely with aid organizations and medical research.

What is far from the truth? That many countries do not use the ethical directive in practice?

Aedes wrote:
I share your values. I just find them too vague to guide or even inspire policy. The only thing that repulses me is the idea that public policy can start with philosophical principles rather than careful study of problems.

careful study of problems involves philosophical principles. You can't define problems without defining your values. Too vague to guide or inspire - how do you qualify this? No, you were repulsed over your assumption that I thought humans should be grown in test tubes

Aedes wrote:
Yes, but not the people who made the policies.

I do understand. But the problem is that public policy is almost never based on prime ethical directives, because it's pragmatics that determine what we do. If prime ethical directives were important to public policy, then we would have intervened in Darfur years ago, and the Rwandan genocide would have never happened.

what are you referring to? The problem is that they are not enforced. Enforcement is needed. You see that's why we need ethical directives instead of Darwinians at the top doing what they want.

Aedes wrote:
I know -- I'm on one national policy committee and several institutional committees, I understand. But determining the principles is easy. What you do with them as hard. I'm sure Heinrich Himmler believed that the SS campaign was one of happiness and minimization of suffering, as his quotes would indicate. And in fact the Nazis claimed a scientific basis. But on the other hand, they restricted this principle to "aryan" people and butchered 11-15 million non-"aryans". My point, in other words, is that it is possible to hold your 'directive' and not do any good with it if your downstream policies and decisions are barbaric, ignorant, or blind to reality.

hard and easy? spare me the association with Nazis - that's a shameful tactic. Yes, we'll need open rational debate about the means I agree. If we were able to openly debate public policy in accordance with ethical directives which were also open for debate = that would reduce alot of ignorance, barbarism, and blindness. This forum topic is to debate the ethical directive. What you should do if you support it is another topic - but first things first.

Aedes wrote:
There's something you're not understanding here. Implantation occurs within a few days of conception. Not only does no one knows that they are pregnant at this point, but there is also no way to do genetic screening at this stage without an extremely high risk of pregnancy loss.

preimplantation genetic diagnosis and invitro fertilization are already in use at many clinics successfully. It is used to screen for known genetic diseases : to weed out embryos with known bad genes. It's true that we are still working on the technology. Again, this is a separate issue that you can debate on my website. It's important to keep topics clear and focused. Why don't you create a new topic where you declare your support of the prime ethical directive and how it should best be accomplished?

Aedes wrote:
Pre-implantation screening is only done with in vitro fertilization, i.e. when you already have an early embryo in a test tube. That's why I'm befuddled by the proposal to screen ALL pregnancies before implantation.

why does that befuddle you that embryos are tested in a test tube before being implanted in the womb?

Aedes wrote:

how do you define what is practical - this is done using the ethical directives? Just because we have a corrupt government doesn't mean that ethical directives are not important.

Aedes

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 11:48 am
@Abolitionist,
Abolitionist;41418 wrote:
if that's the case you should be promoting the Abolitionist ethical directive
I promote similar principles. But there is nothing about them that's proprietary to your group or your web page that makes me need to invoke them as such.

Quote:
and what am I missing about that? I'm saying the means are open to debate.
So in other words, the principles don't matter -- it's the debate that does. I agree. Everyone will swing their argument to be humanitarian.

That's why in almost every conflict the US has been in, including the American Revolution, the Mexican War, the US Civil War, WWI, and WWII, we've taken great pains to be shot at first. Heaven forbid we should wage an unprovoked war. That's unseemly. But if we're shot at first, then it's self defense and we can do whatever we want, for good or for ill.

Quote:
What is far from the truth? That many countries do not use the ethical directive in practice?
No, that the problems in the developing world are because their leaders don't care about human rights. Most leaders DO care about that. That doesn't mean they have the power to do anything about it, though, when the interest payments on their national debt exceeds their gross domestic product, when their countries have female literacy rates of 15% and child mortality rates of 30%, when 1/3 of their health care budget is spent treating child malaria, when physical strength and cognitive development among the entire national population is diminished by repeated and chronic infectious diseases and nutritional deficiencies... These problems take resources to fight. I met Jeffrey Sachs once a year or two ago, and he was of the opinion that interventions in these public health problems will not be self-sustaining for generations -- there needs to be essentially a semi-permanent commitment from outside poor countries to intervene in their public health problems. But how is that going to happen when we can barely get our own sh!t together?

Quote:
You can't define problems without defining your values. Too vague to guide or inspire - how do you qualify this?
Because most people who are actually going out and helping people are doing so without having articulated ethical first principles. This stuff about minimizing suffering is self-evident to empathetic humans, and humans are innately empathetic. That doesn't mean that empathy predominates in all people's behavior, but no inspirational directive from the 2009 Abolitionists is going to change that.

Quote:
No, you were repulsed over your assumption that I thought humans should be grown in test tubes
I'm not repulsed by that. It just makes me think you don't know what you're talking about. Preimplantation screening of all pregnancies... well, that means that all pregnancies need to be started in vitro. Either this is what you mean, or you don't know anything about implantation.

Quote:
spare me the association with Nazis - that's a shameful tactic.
Spare me the "shame". Aside from a vagary like "public debate", you NEED to respond to the notion that even genocidaires can THINK they're following your "directive".

Quote:
preimplantation genetic diagnosis and invitro fertilization are already in use at many clinics successfully. It is used to screen for known genetic diseases : to weed out embryos with known bad genes.
I know what it's for and what it is. But it cannot be used except in the case of in vitro fertilization -- so this will not be useful for 99.9999% of pregnancies, which are fertilization the old fashioned way (and in developing countries and among the poor in the developed world, it's 100% of pregnancies).

Quote:
why does that befuddle you that embryos are tested in a test tube before being implanted in the womb?
That's not what befuddles me. What befuddles me is that you think this is some kind of viable public health measure when only the in vitro fertilizations are accessible to preimplantation diagnosis. So a few tens of thousands might be accessible, where as the tens (hundreds?) of millions of plain old pregnancies au natural can NOT be tested in this way.

How do we do genetic prenatal diagnosis? Well first of all, using the so called quad screen (estradiol, alpha-fetoprotein, human chorionic gonadotropin, and inhibin A) are used to screen the mother's blood for evidence that she is carrying a baby with Down syndrome. The AFP level can also give evidence of neural tube defects. Routine prenatal ultrasound is another screening test.

But genetic testing requires either chorionic villous sampling or amniocentesis, both of which confer a significant risk of pregnancy loss. About 1/300 pregnancies are lost because of amniocentesis, so you need to direct the procedure for high risk situations in which the risk of loss is outweighed by the risk of disease.

Now, most genetic diseases are extremely rare, so screening mass populations for them (by whatever method) is going to NOT be cost effective.

There is a biostatistical measure called "number needed to treat", which is the reciprocal of the change in absolute risk. What it means in English for this scenario is "how many people do you need to screen in order to find one case of X". If we're talking about a disease like cystic fibrosis, then you don't need that many, I mean it's the most common genetic disease among caucasians. But if we're talking about some super-rare thing like gamma-interferon deficiency or TLR-4 deficiency, then you might need to screen tens of millions to identify a single case, and that's just not a very effective use of health care resources.

Abolitionist;41419 wrote:
how do you define what is practical?
Problem -> intervention -> result -> assessment of efficacy

It doesn't take an "Abolitionist" to know why AIDS is bad. It just takes a human. And the humans who feel the same way as abolitionists are the ones who self-select to intervene. People who think that AIDS is God's punishment of gay people aren't the ones who engage in public health initiatives to combat HIV.

Abolitionist

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 12:14 pm
@Abolitionist,
Aedes wrote:
I promote similar principles. But there is nothing about them that's proprietary to your group or your web page that makes me need to invoke them as such.

similar is not the same, what exactly is your prime directive?

this post is asking for a challenge, if you don't want to give it, go elsewhere but don't complain that it's beneathe you and still debate

Aedes wrote:
So in other words, the principles don't matter -- it's the debate that does. I agree. Everyone will swing their argument to be humanitarian.

That's your conclusion, if you can put forth your rationale I could debate that conclusion.

Here's my conclusion, in a legal rationale authority we use ethical directive to evaluate the validity of public policy, it isn't just debate using power - it's debate aimed at determining which course of action best satisfies the ethical directive

Aedes wrote:
No, that the problems in the developing world are because their leaders don't care about human rights. Most leaders DO care about that. That doesn't mean they have the power to do anything about it, though, when the interest payments on their national debt exceeds their gross domestic product, when their countries have female literacy rates of 15% and child mortality rates of 30%, when 1/3 of their health care budget is spent treating child malaria, when physical strength and cognitive development among the entire national population is diminished by repeated and chronic infectious diseases and nutritional deficiencies... These problems take resources to fight. I met Jeffrey Sachs once a year or two ago, and he was of the opinion that interventions in these public health problems will not be self-sustaining for generations -- there needs to be essentially a semi-permanent commitment from outside poor countries to intervene in their public health problems. But how is that going to happen when we can barely get our own sh!t together?

AB : yes, then you would say : how best to accomplish the directive? by gettign our **** together (in a nutshell) - you'll find however that corruptionis rampant and public policy frequent go against the rights I propose via the ethical directive
Aedes wrote:

If you share my values then they aren't too vague for you. I think you just don't like the idea of a banner above your head and want to think of yourself and an individual and not subject to the laws of an ethical directive- but i could be wrong.

Philosophical study of what is important is necessary before you can determine what the problems are. Many are suffering and we determine this to be a problem, however if they choose their suffering via informed consent it isn't a problem. Just like we try to keep people from killing themselves - it's unethical.

Aedes wrote:
most people who are actually going out and helping people are doing so without having articulated ethical first principles. This stuff about minimizing suffering is self-evident to empathetic humans, and humans are innately empathetic. That doesn't mean that empathy predominates in all people's behavior, but no inspirational directive from the 2009 Abolitionists is going to change that.

is that true? is human empathy inherently ethical

there are many instances where empathy goes against rights

the purpose of philosophy is to be better define your thinking and not simply be lead around by instinct

those who have the most power are also the least empathetic- there was a recent study that suggests this though it's hard to quantify

so to guide the formulation of policy we need ethics and not just empathy

Aedes wrote:
I'm not repulsed by that. It just makes me think you don't know what you're talking about. Preimplantation screening of all pregnancies... well, that means that all pregnancies need to be started in vitro. Either this is what you mean, or you don't know anything about implantation.

yes invitro fertilization and then consequent implantation in a womb, please, you already posted a repulsed comment to that, now you're trying to backtrack

Aedes wrote:
Spare me the "shame". Aside from a vagary like "public debate", you NEED to respond to the notion that even genocidaires can THINK they're following your "directive".

to try to win an argument by loosely associating someone with Nazis is not a good debate tactic and should be discouraged

public debate is real and necessary, if you don't think so , why aren't you out there doing something?

genocide is not sanctioned by the ethical directive, it's plain and clear that the elimination of involuntary death and suffering goes against genocide

are you jewish by any chance?

Aedes

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 01:04 pm
@Abolitionist,
Abolitionist;41470 wrote:
what exactly is your prime directive?
I don't need to operate from a "prime directive", because I think it's superfluous. All ethics stems from empathy, which is demonstrably innate to our psychology, and empathy is simply the recognition of ourselves in other people. That is primary -- contrived declarations about happiness and suffering are secondary.

Quote:
this post is asking for a challenge, if you don't want to give it, go elsewhere but don't complain that it's beneathe you and still debate
I'm challenging the whole notion that you've offered anything worth challenging. Your prime directive is simple, banal, and a statement of the obvious. It seems grandiose to you, but you've got a bit of hubris.

As Bob Dylan said, "But I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."

Abolitionist;41472 wrote:
Aedes wrote:
Everyone will swing their argument to be humanitarian.
That's your conclusion, if you can put forth your rationale I could debate that conclusion.
This is debatable? Why do you think Bush talked about liberating Iraq and Iraqis celebrating in the street, rather than talking about going out to kill people and secure oil wealth?

Quote:
If you share my values then they aren't too vague for you.
Ok, maybe I DON'T share your values if you think you actually can solve the world's problems with wistful slogans about suffering.

Quote:
I think you just don't like the idea of a banner above your head and want to think of yourself and an individual and not subject to the laws of an ethical directive- but i could be wrong.
Yup, you are, but no offense taken. I belong to enough professional organizations and societies, including the academic institution at which I'm a faculty member and others where I have been a trainee, so I've got no problem with associations and affiliations.

Quote:
if they choose their suffering via informed consent it isn't a problem.
If the result is suffering, then perhaps they weren't well enough informed.

Quote:
Just like we try to keep people from killing themselves - it's unethical.
A picayune issue. And helping people who feel like killing themselves is definitely ethical.

Quote:
is that true? is human empathy inherently ethical
You have your understanding backwards. Ethics is inherently human. Ethics arises from a human impulse to care about others, namely empathy.

Quote:
there are many instances where empathy goes against rights
That's not the fault of empathy. Wanting to do the right thing is empathetic. Doing the wrong thing because you don't understand it, or because you're too dazzled by your own ideas, is not empathy's fault.

Quote:
those who have the most power are also the least empathetic- there was a recent study that suggests this though it's hard to quantify
Presidents and prime ministers are not the ones in the labs making vaccines, they're not the ones digging wells, and they're not the ones teaching girls to read. Humanitarian work is very much a bottom-up process except when major political asymmetries like war come into the picture.

Quote:
yes invitro fertilization and then consequent implantation in a womb, please, you already posted a repulsed comment to that, now you're trying to backtrack
No, you have this dystopic idea that ALL pregnancies can be genetically studied pre-implantation. Tell me exactly how you will genetically screen ALL pregnancies pre-implantation when people don't even know they're pregnant until weeks after implantation has already happened. Please explain this one to me.

Quote:
to try to win an argument by loosing assocating someone with Nazis is not a good debate tactic and should be discouraged
It didn't have to be the Nazis. It could have been the Interahamwe. It could have been the Bolsheviks. It could have been King Leopold II. Whatever. Another poor debate tactic is whining about debate tactics. And I'm not debating you, I'm just asking you to clarify things.

Quote:
public debate is real and necessary, if you don't think so , why aren't you out there doing something?
I am doing something. :brickwall: I do this professionally. Public debate is necessary at an operational level -- and seldom does it come down to ethical directives, as opposed to pragmatics.

Quote:
genocide is not sanctioned by the ethical directive, it's plain and clear that the elimination of involuntary death and suffering goes against genocide
Yes, to a reasonable human it is. But an unreasonable human can rationalize anything to be consistent with yours or any other ethical directive.

Quote:
are you jewish by any chance?
Are you?

Justin

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 01:32 pm
@Abolitionist,
OK all, contest is over. The $300 that was originally available is no longer available because it's being paid to me for time in editing... Just KIDDING!

I will however say that posts need to be correctly formatted and easily referred to and read. PLEASE take the time to quote properly and formally on this forum as made above in the examples.

Kind Regards,

The Formatting Nazi

Abolitionist

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 02:00 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
I don't need to operate from a "prime directive", because I think it's superfluous. All ethics stems from empathy, which is demonstrably innate to our psychology, and empathy is simply the recognition of ourselves in other people. That is primary -- contrived declarations about happiness and suffering are secondary.

rights are not inherently protected by empathy, we create an objective rationale so that it can be tested and demonstrated, if we all just acted out of empathy - we would not be protecting rights, nor would we have a legal rational authority

you should know this

Aedes wrote:
I'm challenging the whole notion that you've offered anything worth challenging. Your prime directive is simple, banal, and a statement of the obvious. It seems grandiose to you, but you've got a bit of hubris.

I don't care if you think it's worth challenging, that's not the question.

Actually, you could define it more clearly as a refutation by saying that we don't need debatable ethical directives, but see how far that takes you 8)

Aedes wrote:
As Bob Dylan said, "But I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."

This is debatable? Why do you think Bush talked about liberating Iraq and Iraqis celebrating in the street, rather than talking about going out to kill people and secure oil wealth?

Ok, maybe I DON'T share your values if you think you actually can solve the world's problems with wistful slogans about suffering.

you'll have to define that Bob Dylan quote, in present form it's usage is too vague to debate

Bush's manipulation of ethics would not fly with the Abolitionist ethical directive, you can't liberate people from their right to live

yes, I do think that ethical directives are necessary and have an effect, have you studied the history of ethical thinking? take a look at the impact of utilitarianism for instance.

Aedes wrote:
A picayune issue. And helping people who feel like killing themselves is definitely ethical.

You have your understanding backwards. Ethics is inherently human. Ethics arises from a human impulse to care about others, namely empathy.

yes I agree that ethics come from human nature, however in a society we have laws and ethical directives to provide testable and objective validations for behavior, do you think we should abolish this practice?

do you think that you can justify laws using empathy within a legal rational authority?

why is helping people kill themselves voluntarily unethical? what is your testable rationale for this?

Aedes wrote:
Presidents and prime ministers are not the ones in the labs making vaccines, they're not the ones digging wells, and they're not the ones teaching girls to read. Humanitarian work is very much a bottom-up process except when major political asymmetries like war come into the picture.

they make the laws which determine how resources are allocated and which actions are legal

Aedes wrote:
No, you have this dystopic idea that ALL pregnancies can be genetically studied pre-implantation. Tell me exactly how you will genetically screen ALL pregnancies pre-implantation when people don't even know they're pregnant until weeks after implantation has already happened. Please explain this one to me.

that is a separate issue let's keep on topic here, we are debating the validity or soundness of the Abolitionist ethical directive

I'm happy to tell you elsewhere

Aedes wrote:
It didn't have to be the Nazis. It could have been the Interahamwe. It could have been the Bolsheviks. It could have been King Leopold II. Whatever. Another poor debate tactic is whining about debate tactics. And I'm not debating you, I'm just asking you to clarify things.

I am doing something. :brickwall: I do this professionally. Public debate is necessary at an operational level -- and seldom does it come down to ethical directives, as opposed to pragmatics.

how do you determine which courses of action are practical and what makes them practical?

yes, I won't put up with tactics that are a distraction from the discussion

are you doing this as a profession? you aren't acting with an association or getting paid, you are doing it on your own time

ethical directives determine what is considered practical, do you work with public policy?

why do you think public debate is necessary at an operational level and not an administrative level?

Aedes wrote:
Yes, to a reasonable human it is. But an unreasonable human can rationalize anything to be consistent with yours or any other ethical directive.

can you define a reasonable human? do you think human reasoning should define laws and how we act within the world? I do, however for laws and actions that effect the rights of others, you must present a testable rationale and a means to test that rationale

just because someone can rationalize something doesn't mean that they can get away with it

in the case of the Bush administration they are not open for debate nor transparent about their true rationales, this is very bad and must end

Aedes

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 02:16 pm
@Abolitionist,
Abolitionist;41508 wrote:
rights are not inherently protected by empathy
Rights aren't inherently protected by anything other than people who recognize when rights are being encroached.

Abolitionist wrote:
you should know this
Oh spare me. :nonooo:

Abolitionist wrote:
Actually, you could define it more clearly as a refutation by saying that we don't need debatable ethical directives
I'm not out to refute or challenge. I'm out to have a conversation.

Abolitionist wrote:
you'll have to define that Bob Dylan quote, in present form it's usage is too vague to debate
It's from his song "My Back Pages". It refers to how much he thought he knew when he was a young, idealistic crusader.

Bob Dylan wrote:
[SIZE="2"]In a soldier's stance, I aimed my hand
At the mongrel dogs who teach
Fearing not that I'd become my enemy
In the instant that I preach
My pathway led by confusion boats
Mutiny from stern to bow.
Ah, but I was so much older then,
I'm younger than that now.

Yes, my guard stood hard when abstract threats
Too noble to neglect
Deceived me into thinking
I had something to protect
Good and bad, I define these terms
Quite clear, no doubt, somehow.
Ah, but I was so much older then,
I'm younger than that now.[/SIZE]

Abolitionist wrote:
Bush's manipulation of ethics would not fly with the Abolitionist ethical directive, you can't liberate people from their right to live
Some innocent bystanders died when we entered Bosnia and Kosovo in the 1990s to interrupt their ethnic warfare. The Rwandan genocide ended because a Ugandan-backed Tutsi army came in and drove the Hutu militias out of the country, and innocents died in that case too. Do you get the point? The point is that if the goal is to intervene in oppression and suffering, and the only way to do it is with warfare, then some innocents may die in pursuit of a greater good. I can't stand Bush, and I have never supported the Iraq war, but I do understand that it could be rationalized that way.

Abolitionist wrote:
yes, I do think that ethical directives are necessary and have an effect, have you studied the history of ethical thinking? take a look at the impact of utilitarianism for instance.
Yes I have. In fact that's the only area of philosophy that I've studied academically.

Abolitionist wrote:
yes I agree that ethics come from human nature, however in a society we have laws and ethical directives to provide testable and objective validations for behavior, do you think we should abolish this practice?
I'm not the abolitionist Smile

Laws don't come from ethical directives, though. Laws come from lawmakers who have their individual beliefs and constituencies, and in the end laws are compromises.

Abolitionist wrote:
do you think that you can justify laws using empathy within a legal rational authority?
I'm not trying to justify laws. I'm saying that your "directive" is innate and uniformly understood whether you spell it out for us or not.

Abolitionist wrote:
why is helping people kill themselves voluntarily unethical? what is your testable rationale for this?
That's not what I said at all. Read it again. Look up the word picayune if you need to.

Abolitionist wrote:
that is a separate issue let's keep on topic here, we are debating the validity or soundness of the Abolitionist ethical directive

I'm happy to tell you elsewhere
Send me a private message.

Abolitionist wrote:
are you doing this as a profession? you aren't acting with an association or getting paid, you are doing it on your own time
I practice infectious diseases and tropical medicine as a profession, (though I do general adult hospital medicine and medical education half the time), and as part of that I practice clinical medicine, research, and I have policy responsibilities.

Typing on here is procrastination -- I've got a day off, my son is in day care today, and I have to mop the floors, finish some clinic notes, buy some diapers, and go to the gym.

Abolitionist wrote:
ethical directives determine what is considered practical, do you work with public policy?
Yes. I'm on a national committee with the IDSA, and if you're still hanging around here when we have our press conference in October or November you can find out all about it. I'm on two institutional committees at the medical center where I'm on faculty, and since I can't travel overseas these days (with a baby at home) I'm doing quality improvement and patient safety research with a goal of implementing new policy.

Abolitionist wrote:
for laws and actions that effects the rights of others, you must present a testable rationale and a means to test that rationale
Why must you test the rationale? Why can't you use historical controls? Look at the crimes of history and extract from that the unacceptable versus the acceptable. Distill out the common denominators and you arrive first at your directive and ultimately at a shared sense of custodianship for other humans.

Zetetic11235

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 02:40 pm
@Aedes,
Let me get this straight. Are looking for a set of axioms by which acceptable public policy can be implemented? It seems to me that what you want is a set of axioms loose enough to be adaptable to public will but tight enough to avoid trampling human rights. If the objective is to eliminate involuntary suffering, I wonder what you plan to do about a situation like this: A man's son was murdered, he suffers from this action that was outside of his control, and suffers from an unfulfilled desire for vengeance;he wishes to kill the son of the man who murdered his son. now clearly this would violate the axiom of involuntary death, but this seems to be in conflict with the necessity to relieve involuntary suffering. How would you respond to this?

Now, we may be able to create a drug cocktail which by some method either removes the memory of his son or makes him not feel bad about the event, but what if he refuses? Can we force him to take the drug cocktail, being justified by the fact that he will not suffer from it by virtue of the cocktail? Should we consequently disallow forced anti suffering measures?

I think that the best way to play this game is to try to create situations which operate outside of and force contradictions in your system. I like to do this and will be happy to do so to the best of my ability. It is much easier to find a problem with a set of axioms than to find a set of axioms that has no explicit problems....of course the problems aren't in the axioms or the logic but in the outcome, so you are necessarily suggesting social experimentation right?

xris

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 02:46 pm
@Justin,
Justin wrote:
OK all, contest is over. The $300 that was originally available is no longer available because it's being paid to me for time in editing... Just KIDDING!

I will however say that posts need to be correctly formatted and easily referred to and read. PLEASE take the time to quote properly and formally on this forum as made above in the examples.

Kind Regards,

The Formatting Nazi
maybe but you aint god the eggs..

Abolitionist

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 02:55 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235 wrote:
Let me get this straight. Are looking for a set of axioms by which acceptable public policy can be implemented? It seems to me that what you want is a set of axioms loose enough to be adaptable to public will but tight enough to avoid trampling human rights. If the objective is to eliminate involuntary suffering, I wonder what you plan to do about a situation like this: A man's son was murdered, he suffers from this action that was outside of his control, and suffers from an unfulfilled desire for vengeance;he wishes to kill the son of the man who murdered his son. now clearly this would violate the axiom of involuntary death, but this seems to be in conflict with the necessity to relieve involuntary suffering. How would you respond to this?

Now, we may be able to create a drug cocktail which by some method either removes the memory of his son or makes him not feel bad about the event, but what if he refuses? Can we force him to take the drug cocktail, being justified by the fact that he will not suffer from it by virtue of the cocktail? Should we consequently disallow forced anti suffering measures?

I think that the best way to play this game is to try to create situations which operate outside of and force contradictions in your system. I like to do this and will be happy to do so to the best of my ability. It is much easier to find a problem with a set of axioms than to find a set of axioms that has no explicit problems....of course the problems aren't in the axioms or the logic but in the outcome, so you are necessarily suggesting social experimentation right?

determined to be valid and then implemented, yes

I propose that we establish reasonable rights which determine which actions are illegal and allow citizens to do anything which is not illegal

to kill the man who killed his son would not be legal as the laws are meant to prevent the infringement of the rights of others

in order to allow for the legality of infringing upon the rights of others, it must be shown that this course of action would be necessary to prevent the infringement of further rights - however killing someone is not necessary and does infringe upon the right to live of the person who killed the son - locking him up to deter others and rehabilitating him would be necessary

-----------

involuntary suffering can only be completely abolished through a postulated redesign of the biological systems - and the right to seek happiness voluntarily should allow individuals to pursue this

however, we should also assign rights to those we create before they are created, so that if we have the ability to design them so that they do not suffer yet are able to experience and seek greater happiness, we are required to do so.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » Challenge the validity of the Abolitionist directive
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 10:13:58