LGBT

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Kolbe

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 08:41 pm
LGBT, to use a shortened term, refers to Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals and Transgenders.

Out of a curiosity, what in the eyes of some makes these acts so wrong? Abrahamic religion doesn't seem to give a reason, other than that it prevents life, and their deity said that it was wrong. If someone could give me a little explanation as to why they see this, or do not see this, nature as wrong, that would be great.

Icon

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 11:12 am
@Kolbe,
For the most part, the root of this issue is that it is "Not Natural". By this I mean that it is not productive to the continuation of our species. Two people of the same sex cannot have a child and cannot propigate our species. If you are a student of Ethics, LGBT is actually against the "Laws of Nature" or "Natural Law". In a sense, they break two of the three fundamental laws of nature. It is also something which was, in previous days, viewed to be against God. You will find that the idea of God has actually forged the world we live in. Society, at a root, is still fixed on these beliefs of mysticism and magic and innate sense of right and wrong.

I, myself, have no issues but that is because I am almost completely devoid of a "belief" structure and base my opinion on what I can conclude from my surroundings. Some of my favorite people are homosexual.

Kolbe

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 07:41 pm
@Kolbe,
Hehe, well I have been told by William that threads of this nature usually downgrade into bitter arguments of bigotry, so it's best to leave it there.

Khethil

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 01:24 pm
@Kolbe,
Kolbe wrote:
Hehe, well I have been told by William that threads of this nature usually downgrade into bitter arguments of bigotry, so it's best to leave it there.

Yea, he's probably right.

Still, were it possible to carry on such a conversation, a philosophical examination of the sources of such distaste could be very revealing. Thinking back, I can distinctly remember a time where people of divergent sexuality bothered me as well. In trying to remember why that was, I've really come up with a blank... and I just don't remember.

That was a long time ago. Somehow, I get the feeling that it had to do with a flavor of "embarrassment" that I felt; almost as if I was somehow lessened by the fact that others like me did such a thing. I don't know...

Although the reasons, I'm sure, are very different from cast to case, I believe we'd likely find one or more common themes in the sources of such disgust. Then again, maybe it's just as Icon says about something being perceived as 'unnatural'.

In a humble and polite manner, I have to thinking fleshing out that understanding could be quite rewarding.

Thanks

Language Games

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 01:21 pm
@Khethil,
The immorality of homosexuality in the eyes of Abrahamic religion is, as Nietzsche might say, psychological sign language -- some heterosexuals find the prospect of same gender sex distasteful because it upsets the psychological paradigms installed by their own sexual desires, with the feelings of distaste being stronger in men in proportion to the greater frequency and potency of their desires. Once the feeling of distaste is present among a large number, it gets translated into ethical and religious terms through cultural discourse. Even those heterosexuals not adversely affected by the thought of homosexuality will nonetheless condemn it after the practice is judged negatively in the eyes of their spiritual authorities.

Quote:

By this I mean that it is not productive to the continuation of our species.

That may not be true. "Gay Uncle Theory" proposes that homosexuality is pervasive among social animals (wolves, dolphins, primates) because it keeps the population down by finding an outlet for an organism's hardwired sexuality which does not lead to conception and provides a member of the 'pack' who can care for (train / defend / manage) the pack's offspring while the parents see to other tasks like hunting -- because they have no children of their own to care for. Both these facilitate the continuation of the species.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 09:44:55