Three Gorges Dam

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » Three Gorges Dam

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 07:35 pm
The three Gorges Dam - Three Gorges Dam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had wondered how China was getting their energy and then I learned that they were leeching technology right from Canada. Nuclear tech, and hydro infrastructure tech being given to China, and for what! To build a dam which is only adding to the in-sustainability of resources.

The purpose was to supply China with energy I presume, but the amount they get is minimal; and when the Yangtze river is flooded farmland will be lost, 21 polluted cities submerged, and an estimated 2 million people displaced. Ofcourse the energy would help for a while, China needs energy but this is not going to stop them importing and doing what they can for oil. And the Yangtze delta is the fastest growing part of China, so even if the dam decreases flooding and soil erosion, why would the land around the soon-to-be-formed lake be used for farming. It'll be a sight for urban sprawl on top of the increased shipping. More industry, more people, and therefore more energy required. More food will be needed, and that is another commoditie China needs.

And when China does a project like this with only a pseudo-concern for the environment, developing countries are going to follow and add even more pressure to the planet. By not addressing the issue of the three gorges dam properly it will only get harder to make a movement towards sustainability.

Mr. Fight the Power wrote:
Competition under a capitalistic society, or at least a market one, is not simply man against man, but man trying to provide a better service that another man.You have to understand that, while one person may seek to outdo another, they are trying to outdo this other individual in terms of satisfying the means of the customer. It is competition to better serve.

Lets say that this project is really about helping the public, there is intended social progress here; heck its helping Canada by relieving the westerlees winds from pollution from coal plants (well I assume it will help), and hopefully Canada is getting something in return besides luxury for supplying this technology to China if what we truly want is a competitive society. But is it ethical to satisfy the customer? Does the customer really keep an ethical perspective, an environmental stewardship.

This "competitiveness" requires a sustainable economy first.

jgweed

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 10:15 pm
@Holiday20310401,
While hydroelectric energy is clean and renewable, I think your concern should be that China is completing a new coal-powered generator at the rate of one a week. It could be that Canada will end up getting some of the pollution from the dark, satanic smokestacks.

Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 10:20 pm
@jgweed,
jgweed wrote:
completing a new coal-powered generator at the rate of one a week.
:eek:

This just seems to absurd to be sane yet realistic... I don't even know how to comment. China needs power, but is there no room for ethics at all?!

Khethil

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 08:59 am
@jgweed,
jgweed wrote:
... China is completing a new coal-powered generator at the rate of one a week.

Oh my god... amazing.

Let's have a show of hands, who here thinks this is a good thing?

Icon

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 09:13 am
@Holiday20310401,
*Raises hand*

Wait... What were we voting on again?

We are running out of energy, water, food, space, air..... Well, looks like it is time to invest in gravity research. We need to start pumping out some actualized grav-drive so that FTL travel is possible so we can find another planet.

Dave Allen

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 08:47 am
@Holiday20310401,
Not to be too sanctimonious about this - but until people in the first world find an alternative to their appetitie for electricity I don't think they have a serious case for criticisng people in the developing world for doing likewise.

It may not be a good thing for china to sprout coal fuelled power stations - but if you're sat at home or work using a computer to voice your opinion about such matters - you're probably being less energy efficient than most Chinese people.

Your own back yard is a mess too, see?

And so is mine.

Holiday20310401

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 10:41 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen wrote:
Not to be too sanctimonious about this - but until people in the first world find an alternative to their appetitie for electricity I don't think they have a serious case for criticisng people in the developing world for doing likewise.

It may not be a good thing for china to sprout coal fuelled power stations - but if you're sat at home or work using a computer to voice your opinion about such matters - you're probably being less energy efficient than most Chinese people.

Your own back yard is a mess too, see?

And so is mine.

And I'm glad Canada is providing the tech for China to go nuclear as opposed to coal.

I had a guy come to our door the other day and he was insisting that we pay more money to have our house run off of "green" energy. And I asked him where this green energy is going to come from, and he replies, "Well its already in the grid".

Pardon me if I don't understand, but how am I therefore contributing to used green energy if my family is paying more money only to transfer green energy already in the grid to power the house. And he replies, "It's so that you are doing your part".

And I'm thinking what part? These companies want to make more money off of green energy. If the green energy is already in the grid then it might as well be supplied to as many as possible, right?

And to take the backyard literally... I never really understood the concept of having a backyard myself, not to mention a front lawn.

Dave Allen

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 11:18 am
@Holiday20310401,
They're useful for having your own organic smallholding on.

I think.

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 11:36 am
@Holiday20310401,
The idea of the lawn is ridiculous and must be a by product of games like golf, croquet, polo and other games of the sort.

The environmental impact of China is enormous. I think the world economic downturn could not have come at a better time.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » Three Gorges Dam
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 08:27:55