Virtue: Kant vs. Aristotle

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » Virtue: Kant vs. Aristotle

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 02:06 pm
I am currently working on a paper comparing and contrasting Aristotle's and Kant's account of virtue. My paper specifically looks at Kant's "Doctrine of Virtue" in The Metaphysics of Morals and Book II of Nicomachean Ethics.

While many people argue and have argued that the two accounts of virtue are totally incompatible. Virtuous action for Aristotle is an a posteriori choice that takes place after deliberation. The virtuous follow the intermediary state between two bad states--excess and deficiency. Kant on the other hand thinks that virtuous action is based on an a priori idea of moral perfection. According to Kant, all individuals have an intrinsic worth (dignity), and everyone has a right to this dignity, thus, everyone also has an obligation to the rights of others. For Kant the will is free, but we are morally obligated to this law by duty.

The question is, are these two ideas (rough sketches anyway) conceptually different, or are they different through term definitions and language? The way I see it, Kant's agent that ought to do certain things is the same agent that Aristotle says follows the doctrine of the mean. I see Kant's a priori principles a necessary component of the Aristotle's virtous individual.

Any thoughts?

rhinogrey

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 01:31 am
@Theaetetus,
I see where you're coming from, in that the two concepts fill in the gaps of the other one. To me they just seem like two different sides of the same coin. It's just a matter of perspective because the utility seems to be the same.

Victor Eremita

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 03:57 am
@Theaetetus,
Kant's agent that ought to do certain things is the same agent that Aristotle says follows the doctrine of the mean. I see Kant's a priori principles a necessary component of the Aristotle's virtous individual.

I personally believe that they are incompatible. There are certain things Kant's agent can and cannot do, and Aristotle's agent can and cannot do. Sometimes these acts coincide but for totally different reasons.

Quote:
Now virtue is concerned with passions and actions, in which excess is a form of failure, and so is defect, while the intermediate is praised and is a form of success; and being praised and being successful are both characteristics of virtue. Therefore virtue is a kind of mean, since, as we have seen, it aims at what is intermediate.

Aristotle's individual acts virtously because his actions fit a human telos [happiness yay]. Lying, for example, is a good example. Lying too much and not lying at all can be seen as excess and deficiency. Lying to everyone is akin to the Boy who cried wolf, while not lying at all is akin to the man who told the killer where to find his victim. Neither will earn praise, but for Aristotle, and for us all, I hope, the boy who tells the truth when the wolf really comes and the man who (tried to at least) diverted the killer from his target will earn praise.

That's my two cents, anyway Surprised

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » Virtue: Kant vs. Aristotle
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 11:15:38