Secular And Psychological Understanding Of Evil.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » Secular And Psychological Understanding Of Evil.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 03:46 pm
In a world without god or satan where does evil come from? What exactly is evil? Does evil even exist?

Evil to me is a cheap description we use conveniently to fill the gap of what is unknowable to us when others outside our perceived notions of normalcy become violent and destructive towards others of our own species where we lack the understanding of why such people act in such a manner that they do.

Instead of trying to understand why individuals act violently, destructive, bitter and extremely intolerant of others through psychology most just label such people as evil heretical monsters where society conveniently pushes them aside into state sponsored prisons or execution grounds which is then called a great service of the people.

By doing so nothing is solved in that no understanding of such people can be analysed yet the false sense of security by society is nonetheless achieved until the next episode where the cycle continues indefinately all over again.

We call such individuals evil where we describe them as being monsters or inhuman but the reality as Nietzsche once said is that violent inclinations in men is all too human in that violent malicious emotions in people is apart of our nature not some supernatural independent entity that flows beyond ourselves.

Then you have some secular psychologists and behaviour researchers who will describe evil as a genetical defect or flawed condition but is it really as such?

There is nothing monsterous or inhuman about such people as they are all too human.

There is no genetical defect or flawed psychological condition in such people as it is all too human.

Is evil even useful in describing events?

When Johnny picks up a gun and kills his entire family on a Sunday afternoon why do we say evil compelled him to do these acts where we embodie him as being transformed through evil?

Why don't we just say psychological depression, rage or angst caused Johnny to kill his entire family at gunpoint instead?

Wouldn't that be more logical?

Then you have those who speak about total or pure evil. Is there even such a thing?

People commit violent malicious acts for their own selfish benefit, greed, or success.

I don't know of any scenario where people act out on violence just for the sheer pleasure of violence itself apart from myths and literature.

In the end I think most people use the word evil because it symbolizes the enemy from within which is a great threat to many people but even more interesting it is a clever cheap description of calling others monsters or inhuman in that those speaking of so called evil in the back of their minds know that they themselves along with everybody else is fully capable of acting out on the same emotions that they condemn if they were put into a place of extreme desperation and hostility in contrast which rather ironically through dualisms in speaking about evil they hide in their metaphors to make themselves appear impervious towards others in such events.

Khethil

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 06:14 am
@Pessimist,
Pessimist wrote:
In a world without god or satan where does evil come from? What exactly is evil? Does evil even exist?

Of course. Its simply a word we use to describe events, actions or people we color to be that bad, that wrong, that malevolent. Just a word... nothing more. Or another way to look at it might be: "Chubby doesn't really exist, either you're fat or you're not" - you're not going to find 'Chubby' in an absolute objective form because its an adjective/adverb intended to express degrees. 'Evil' - the word - is nothing more.

Pessimist wrote:
Evil to me is a cheap description we use conveniently to fill the gap of what is unknowable to us when others outside our perceived notions of normalcy become violent and destructive towards others of our own species where we lack the understanding of why such people act in such a manner that they do.

Not really. Although I think you're onto a good notion here (attributing what we don't understand to malicious intent), that's just one context. "Wow, that slope was evil! I nearly wiped out twice!" (no people and no voilence involved) -or- "Did she say that?! Oh my... that's just evil" (someone's evaluation of another's intent - no destruction). Evil is a word to describe a perception, nothing more.

I sense you're speaking more of what might be termed "Objective Evil", is this the case? Are you attempting to juxtapose this concept against what you believe it really is?

Pessimist wrote:
There is nothing monsterous or inhuman about such people as they are all too human.

So... this suggests that if you're human, you therefore cannot be described - ever - as being monstrous or acting in an in-human manner?

Pessimist wrote:
There is no genetical defect or flawed psychological condition in such people as it is all too human.

So violent, destructive, monstrous or in-human behavior isn't ever attributable to psychological conditions or genetic defects or flaws?

Pessimist wrote:
Is evil even useful in describing events?

Absolutely! I like having this word in my vocabulary. Look at it this way, words describing the perceived intensity of a condition are like crayons. When I express myself, I want to communicate the 'shades' - not just the absolutes (such a beautiful black and white sunset!). Evil is a word we use to describe, nothing more. Once again, if you're referring to the Biblical Absolute God-Declared 'Evil' - that's another animal.

Pessimist wrote:
When Johnny picks up a gun and kills his entire family on a Sunday afternoon why do we say evil compelled him to do these acts where we embodie him as being transformed through evil?

Who 'we'? Who said this? Folks express their perception of 'whys' as best their mental and emotional dispositions befit. In your example, I think you're likely to hear just as many folks chalk it to reasons such as:
- 'He was abused, poor kid'
- 'I knew that spaghetti monster would convince him sooner or later'
- 'This was a condition of prefrontal lobe malformation - he's innocent'
- 'Damned video games, he thought he was still playing 'Call of Duty''
- 'They deserved it! I heard they didn't pay their tithing last Sunday'
- 'Its the gun-lobbyists fault - their kind encourage this power mongering'
etc., etc., etc.

So basically, although I agree some small percentage of people automatically knee-jerk back into Moses-mode and declare "evil! evil!", but that's just some folk. I believe it very important to understand the complexity - besides, this is a word, nothing more.

Pessimist wrote:
Then you have those who speak about total or pure evil. Is there even such a thing?

I suppose this is a coherent popular-usage of the word although in a literal sense it doesn't describe something - not that I believe anyway - that exists in any objective state. I think I share your dislike of this kind of categoric labeling (if that's the case)

Pessimist wrote:
In the end I think most people use the word evil because it symbolizes the enemy from within which is a great threat to many people but even more interesting it is a clever cheap description of calling others monsters or inhuman in that those speaking of so called evil in the back of their minds know that they themselves along with everybody else is fully capable of acting out on the same emotions that they condemn if they were put into a place of extreme desperation and hostility in contrast which rather ironically through dualisms in speaking about evil they hide in their metaphors to make themselves appear impervious towards others in such events.

I think you're probably right - for some folks. But this is reading a lot into their motives for such labeling.

My point in this reply is not to refute your obvious strong distaste for such labeling (agree on that point, I hate it too), but to emphasize that this is but a word that can hold many varied meanings (and expressions of degrees) for many. My feeling is that it's *extremely* important to make such differenciations, lest we all run around judging others on their words when we don't take into account the complexity of meanings.

Aedes

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 07:33 am
@Pessimist,
There's a lot of cognitive psychological evidence that people viscerally make moral judgements, then back-rationalize it to make it consistent with their belief systems. It's a lot easier to believe in human judgements of good/evil than it is to believe that evil somehow exists independently of the human mind. See the experimental philosophy of Josh Knobe and some of the work of Stephen Pinker.

Arjen

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 10:04 am
@Pessimist,
Pessimist, I am going to go along with you in the sense that "good" and "evil" are values imposed on something from an external source (the human psyche). In that sense things just "exist". Would not something that has the intention of disrupting above "existing" by forcing into existance said external evaluations be "evil"?

Pessimist

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 12:59 pm
@Arjen,
Alot of my ideas for this thread are coming from this book right here:

Barnes*&*Noble.com - Books: The Myth of Evil, by Phillip Cole, Hardcover

The Myth Of Evil: Demonizing the Enemy.

My position is that evil doesn't exist and only plays a role as a mythological narrative.

My position is that everybody carries a little bit of destruction within themselves and by choice can act upon them.

Malice is not somthing supernatural or beyond ourselves nor is it a disease but instead it is apart of ourselves naturally and our evolution also.

Pessimist

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 01:02 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
There's a lot of cognitive psychological evidence that people viscerally make moral judgements, then back-rationalize it to make it consistent with their belief systems. It's a lot easier to believe in human judgements of good/evil than it is to believe that evil somehow exists independently of the human mind. See the experimental philosophy of Josh Knobe and some of the work of Stephen Pinker.

Good and evil are superstitious mythological narratives.

There is no need to have either idealization.

People in actuality choose to go down with the current of life or they choose to go against it. Nothing more.

I see no reason why one should be praised more over the other.

Both are relative instances within the social framework.

I also believe there is no such thing as goodness either in parallel to evil.

Quote:

See the experimental philosophy of Josh Knobe and some of the work of Stephen Pinker.

I dislike both thinkers especially Pinker.

Pessimist

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 01:07 pm
@Arjen,
Arjen wrote:
Pessimist, I am going to go along with you in the sense that "good" and "evil" are values imposed on something from an external source (the human psyche). In that sense things just "exist". Would not something that has the intention of disrupting above "existing" by forcing into existance said external evaluations be "evil"?

All that exists to me is the will to power or the will to survive.

There is no such thing as good or evil in my outlook beyond words and metaphors describing behaviors.

Pessimist

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 01:10 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
Of course. Its simply a word we use to describe events, actions or people we color to be that bad, that wrong, that malevolent. Just a word... nothing more. Or another way to look at it might be: "Chubby doesn't really exist, either you're fat or you're not" - you're not going to find 'Chubby' in an absolute objective form because its an adjective/adverb intended to express degrees. 'Evil' - the word - is nothing more.

Not really. Although I think you're onto a good notion here (attributing what we don't understand to malicious intent), that's just one context. "Wow, that slope was evil! I nearly wiped out twice!" (no people and no voilence involved) -or- "Did she say that?! Oh my... that's just evil" (someone's evaluation of another's intent - no destruction). Evil is a word to describe a perception, nothing more.

I sense you're speaking more of what might be termed "Objective Evil", is this the case? Are you attempting to juxtapose this concept against what you believe it really is?

So... this suggests that if you're human, you therefore cannot be described - ever - as being monstrous or acting in an in-human manner?

So violent, destructive, monstrous or in-human behavior isn't ever attributable to psychological conditions or genetic defects or flaws?

Absolutely! I like having this word in my vocabulary. Look at it this way, words describing the perceived intensity of a condition are like crayons. When I express myself, I want to communicate the 'shades' - not just the absolutes (such a beautiful black and white sunset!). Evil is a word we use to describe, nothing more. Once again, if you're referring to the Biblical Absolute God-Declared 'Evil' - that's another animal.

Who 'we'? Who said this? Folks express their perception of 'whys' as best their mental and emotional dispositions befit. In your example, I think you're likely to hear just as many folks chalk it to reasons such as:
- 'He was abused, poor kid'
- 'I knew that spaghetti monster would convince him sooner or later'
- 'This was a condition of prefrontal lobe malformation - he's innocent'
- 'Damned video games, he thought he was still playing 'Call of Duty''
- 'They deserved it! I heard they didn't pay their tithing last Sunday'
- 'Its the gun-lobbyists fault - their kind encourage this power mongering'
etc., etc., etc.

So basically, although I agree some small percentage of people automatically knee-jerk back into Moses-mode and declare "evil! evil!", but that's just some folk. I believe it very important to understand the complexity - besides, this is a word, nothing more.

I suppose this is a coherent popular-usage of the word although in a literal sense it doesn't describe something - not that I believe anyway - that exists in any objective state. I think I share your dislike of this kind of categoric labeling (if that's the case)

I think you're probably right - for some folks. But this is reading a lot into their motives for such labeling.

My point in this reply is not to refute your obvious strong distaste for such labeling (agree on that point, I hate it too), but to emphasize that this is but a word that can hold many varied meanings (and expressions of degrees) for many. My feeling is that it's *extremely* important to make such differenciations, lest we all run around judging others on their words when we don't take into account the complexity of meanings.

Quote:

Being human entails creation and destruction both not just one or the other singlely

Quote:

In my mind they are not. To me that is just the way we are built biologically.

Destructive behavior to me is genetically natural and a important factor to survival.

It is interesting how we praise the soldier for his murders and executions of our perceived national enemy never even thinking about calling them defected or flawed for doing so yet for the career criminal who acts violently out of self interests for themselves only we defame them in contrast entirely in thinking that there must be somthing wrong with their behavior or genetical material.

For the most part in the rest of what you have said I agree or at the very least understand what you are saying which currently I can find no fault with.

Arjen

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 01:11 pm
@Pessimist,
The will to power and the will to servive as used by most (contrary to Nietzsche's idea of it) are very destructive. Why choose a value system which is taught to people insetad of what simply exists?

Pessimist

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 01:19 pm
@Arjen,
Arjen wrote:
The will to power and the will to servive as used by most (contrary to Nietzsche's idea of it) are very destructive. Why choose a value system which is taught to people insetad of what simply exists?

What isn't destructive in this world and age?

What wasn't destructive in the past ages of this world?

Quote:
Why choose a value system which is taught to people insetad of what simply exists?

The will to power or survival is simply what is.

There is no getting around it.

You may wish,imagine and fantasize for somthing else but in the end you will only be fooling yourself.

It is the idealizations of morality or ethics that implied oughts come from.

Pessimist

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 01:26 pm
@Pessimist,
So without god or satan what is the origins of evil?

Anybody care to take on this question?

I personally go along with what Nietzsche said when he declared creative and destructive processes being all too human meaning that both are biologically ingrained within us as apart of our evolution and nature where neither has any more importance over the other but instead exist relatively side by side.

Arjen

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 01:26 am
@Pessimist,
Pessimist wrote:
What isn't destructive in this world and age?

What wasn't destructive in the past ages of this world?

Things that are not destructive or creative, but simply exist in their own right perhaps?

Quote:

The will to power or survival is simply what is.

There is no getting around it.

You may wish,imagine and fantasize for somthing else but in the end you will only be fooling yourself.

No, those are made up by people.

Quote:

It is the idealizations of morality or ethics that implied oughts come from.

My point exactly.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » Secular And Psychological Understanding Of Evil.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 10:26:04