Where is equality located at?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » Where is equality located at?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 03:39 pm
History is largely a example of inequality,oppression, hypocrisy, and double standards.

So far personally I have come to the conclusion that examples of oppression statistically if we were to look at history mathmatically far outweigh in volume what many call compassion.

If I was to take a look at a society in observance where can I locate equality at specifically?

People speak of equality all the time in politics or in descriptions of whole societies so much that sometimes the meaning of the word is loss indefinately.

When I take a look at the affairs of the world I see alot of inequality yet nothing when it comes to the understanding of equality itself through observance.

Does equality even exist or is it just some phantom we have constructed as a security blanket in world that is inequal and unjust?

Arjen

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 05:02 pm
@Pessimist,
Jean-Jaques Rousseau makes the valuable distinction between natural inequality and lawfull inequality. The difference consist in the fact that there are differences in body between man, but giving one more "rights" than another is something else entirely. That is why he reasosn that everybody must have the same influence in selecting the person(s) who will be managing the group (the souvereign).

Pessimist

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 03:51 pm
@Arjen,
Arjen wrote:
Jean-Jaques Rousseau makes the valuable distinction between natural inequality and lawfull inequality. The difference consist in the fact that there are differences in body between man, but giving one more "rights" than another is something else entirely. That is why he reasosn that everybody must have the same influence in selecting the person(s) who will be managing the group (the souvereign).

I've read Rousseau and as much as I admire his writings on primitive man or that of biological nature his ideas about government I find to be unrealistic.

And while I understand the articulations where he described natural inequality in contrast to societal inequality nonetheless it points out that people's nature is so selfish and extreme that when they are not devouring other species they devour their own without mercy.

Quote:
That is why he reasosn that everybody must have the same influence in selecting the person(s) who will be managing the group (the souvereign).
Such a so called noble ideal has been a failed expiriment for thousands of years now.

Many people like to describe equality on the grounds that equal opportunity exists.

To that I would only ask them to prove that equal opportunity exists.

Arjen

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 09:54 am
@Pessimist,
So, do you imagine any person being unequal to any other in a political sense then?

Pessimist

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 02:19 pm
@Arjen,
Arjen wrote:
So, do you imagine any person being unequal to any other in a political sense then?

Explain more please.

Justin

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 03:35 pm
@Pessimist,
Inequality you had originally mentioned... could it be better described as imbalance? Those of which are equal would generally balance.

Pessimist

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 11:23 am
@Justin,
Justin wrote:
Inequality you had originally mentioned... could it be better described as imbalance? Those of which are equal would generally balance.

I suppose imbalance is one variation of the word inequality.

Arjen

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 01:14 pm
@Pessimist,
Pessimist wrote:
Explain more please.

Well, you said you did not find Rousseau realistic in the sense that equal opportunity exists according to him (if I understood correctly). So, do you think political unequality/equality exists now then?

Pessimist

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 01:41 pm
@Arjen,
Arjen wrote:
Well, you said you did not find Rousseau realistic in the sense that equal opportunity exists according to him (if I understood correctly). So, do you think political unequality/equality exists now then?

I'm still not understanding where you are going with this.

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 06:19 pm
@Pessimist,
It Is Located (at) Death

Arjen

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 01:18 am
@Pessimist,
@ GoshisDead:

Also in taxes Wink

@ Pessimist:

I am trying to figure out why you find Rousseau irrealistic.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » Where is equality located at?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 06:43:19