foundation of ethics?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » foundation of ethics?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 10:15 am
I believe the foundation of ethics or moral integrity can be found in this...

If parent tells child, don't touch that it is hot, what does child do?

If the child values the word of the parent more then the choice, the child is saved from the pain. but if the child values the choice to do so. And the judgement was there, before the choice is made. But the loving parent made the child aware of the danger.

If the child touches the hot, and cries in pain and blames the parent for it. What should the parent do?

Does the child resent the experience?

Does the child decide that from now on I will listen and do accordingly.

Or does the child insist on making his own choices from now on? And then the heart of the child sings the repeated song the choice is mine, mine, mine. Not wanting for satisfaction and contentment, wanting for freedom of choice at any cost because it's mine.

Aedes

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 11:42 am
@dpmartin,
With all due respect, I don't think that your example is related to ethics at all. It's related to the communication dynamics between parent and child, including the emphasis placed by the parent, and the age and cognitive development of the child. Your example changes if the child is 2 years old versus 10 years old; or if the parental admonition is different. And since avoidance of acute physical pain is an essentially universal human priority, how is this an ethical recommendation by the parent?

A 2 year old is in a pre-operational stage of development. They may or may not listen to a parent when the parent says don't, but it has zero to do with the parental reason. It has more to do with whether the child's impulse to do something is outweighed or not by their impulse to listen to verbal and tonal cues from the parent. So serious tones of voice like "DON'T touch the knives!!" outweigh impulses more than not-so-serious commands like "Don't wipe your mouth on your sleeve." But if that 2-year old burns their hand after being told not to do something, that child will still immediately seek comfort in the parents.

A 7 year old is in a concrete operational stage of development. And a 14 year old is in an abstract operational stage of development. There is a continuity, however, it's not an on/off transition. So as time changes, a child's willingness to listen to a parent's instructions will vary based solely on their developmental stage, and this is irrespective of the respect they have for the parents. Similarly, a parent's style will change over time, based on how they learn to communicate effectively with their own child.

Ethics as an area of discussion doesn't have to do with "do" or "don't do" commands. It has to do with the process of decisionmaking. A parent and a context can push you in one direction or another, but as this area opens up to empirical study, it becomes clear that there's something even more innate and psychological than social and parental mores.

Doobah47

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 01:47 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
With all due respect, I don't think that your example is related to ethics at all. It's related to the communication dynamics between parent and child, including the emphasis placed by the parent, and the age and cognitive development of the child. Your example changes if the child is 2 years old versus 10 years old; or if the parental admonition is different. And since avoidance of acute physical pain is an essentially universal human priority, how is this an ethical recommendation by the parent?

This may not be related to ethics, but it is entirely relevant to morality. The cognitive development of language relating to repression of primal instincts (such as sensory exploration, via touch) is indeed a moral dilemma. The question exists 'is following language good, or should one follow primal instincts' - it is my opinion that language allows the expression of primal instincts in such a fashion as the primal instincts are repressed yet vented, like a volcano letting off steam in order not to create enough pressure to explode.

I take offence at the title of this thread; 'evil' is not equivalent to bad, evil might cause bad occurences, yet evil remains a force and bad a judgement. So pain is a bad thing, not an evil thing.

This brings me to an interesting point; are primal instincts innately evil? I think that consumption and desire are innately evil - one can draw an analogy between desire/consumption and fire: fire consumes all it can then dies, utterly selfish; in my opinion this is innate evil. Primal instincts teach us to explore all we can, consume what we want to and act in a way which contravenes ethically based societal values - just like fire.

dpmartin

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 12:19 pm
@dpmartin,
Doobah47
if I may...

"I take offence at the title of this thread; 'evil' is not equivalent to bad, evil might cause bad occurences, yet evil remains a force and bad a judgement. So pain is a bad thing, not an evil thing."

On one hand I do not necessarily disagree but on the other hand the pain experienced is the result of what? If the child was content in the words of the parent, the pain would not have be experienced.

I don't quit understand your perception of bad and evil.

If a tornado flattens your house and kills your loved ones is that bad and or evil?
But if a person blows up your house and kills your loved ones is that bad and or evil? And why since the result is the same?

Your comments on desire/consumption I do believe could be the result of the "the choice is mine" mind set in the USA. There are so many that do not understand the human duty concept.

If you were once in the service for example you would know that the choice is not your's to make. What you ware, how and when you will ware it, where you will live, so on and so forth. And these are not request for your cooperation, it is demanded and expected. You are the legal property of the US Gov. And at your superiors behest 24/7.

Aedes

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 12:02 am
@dpmartin,
dpmartin wrote:
And last I checked ethics is the science of morals; the department of study concerned with the principles of human duty.
And last I checked morals are an individual ethical scheme and ethics are a collective ethical scheme. Duty is ethical when it's impelled by one's group, moral when impelled by one's self, and legal when impelled by one's laws.

Quote:
And in this scenario though once again variables can be added what is the root of the decision made by the child?
It's the calculus between the child's impulse to do something versus their impulse not to do so. If a 2 year old child doesn't do something because their father beat them to unconsciousness the last time they heard his voice raised like that, then is that MORAL, or is it rote classical conditioning? That's psychology, my friend, not morality. You can train a horse the same way.

Doobah47 wrote:
This may not be related to ethics, but it is entirely relevant to morality.
I think it's related to moralization, but only peripherally related to morality. MORALIZATION has to do with judgements, which is all one learns when one is little. A kid doesn't understand right versus wrong in a moral sense -- a kid makes rote associations as per what a parent labels as right versus wrong. Ultimately, as the kid's thought processes become more abstract, then independent judgements about good and bad, employing foresight and considering multiple actions and consequences, MORALITY becomes part of the child's thought. And this is especially true when parents can have thoughtful conversations and reflections with children about issues that arise in life. But commands from a parent don't teach morals, they only teach judgements (which is fine for a 2 year old, but not sufficient for a teenager).

Quote:
This brings me to an interesting point; are primal instincts innately evil? I think that consumption and desire are innately evil - one can draw an analogy between desire/consumption and fire: fire consumes all it can then dies, utterly selfish; in my opinion this is innate evil. Primal instincts teach us to explore all we can, consume what we want to and act in a way which contravenes ethically based societal values - just like fire.
I don't see it the same way. Empathy, caring for others, nurturing, rescuing, closeness, and love are all PRIMAL instincts. They are exhibited by many animals other than humans. Furthermore, EVIL is a judgement, not a quality. Things are evil because we judge them as such, not because it's an intrinsic quality of things or processes. And it has a lot to do with point of view.

Doobah47

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 08:11 am
@dpmartin,
Well I disagree there, saying that evil is a force, and bad a judgement - at the end of the day it's polemics, and 'evil=bad' seems to be the preferred polemic.

I did not say that humans were entirely innately evil, I said that they were driven by evil in some contexts (re consumption/desire). These anti-evil examples you demonstrate are relevant to humans and animals yes, but not to more basic forms of existence, such as plants or fire, and if evolution is to be believed we originate from a system of basic desire to consume and grow - something that humans demonstrate with philosophy; they consume ideas and propogate ideas, they consume and try to grow. I think essentially that the examples of the non-evil you have given do originate in evil, and that they are also a system that protects us from becoming either more evil or the victim of evil, so in any case they are relevant to evil in some way.

dpmartin

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 12:37 pm
@dpmartin,
Aedes
I am not going to split hairs with you my friend, granted it can be looked upon in that. But if today's philosophy in the arena of ethics is not about the science of morals; the department of study concerned with the principles of human duty. And the honest look at human perception of what is good, what is bad, or evil, and why. Then you might as well break out the computer an let it tell you how to live in accordances to it's calculations on what it good, and evil, or bad and hope your program don't have a viruses in it.
I am try to content the possibility that if the choice is all ways mine and that it is perceive as the ultimate good for a society then would it not be a detriment to society? Please, this is not to be confused with the responsibility of freedom mention in the constitution.

It seems it could get in to a long debate on this but essentially animals survive(stay alive, run from danger or stand and fight), eat when hungry, and propagate. The consumption/desire mentioned in animals, the pursuing of, usually discontinues when gratified, reaching contentment (for the lack of better words) until the need arises again. But that is not the whole case with man. Man must make decisions in accordance to what he is willing to place his confidence in, or rely upon what he perceives as a source of knowledge to decide what is good or evil or bad in the view of that knowledge in order to do something he has not done before hand.

Not to take a cheap shot at evolution, but honestly. If one believes that their source of life, or being, or consciousness, is a accidentally electrified (sorry I meant to say swamp:o) gas. Then to me, anyway, it would seem that the out look to being consciousness would be some what grim. Could it be possible that this would justify in one's heart that this all you got, and you might as well get all you can? Would this not generate a society of individual self interest as priority one? Please understand, I am not questioning what you put your confidence in, I am trying understand your view in that confidence.

Aedes

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 02:35 pm
@Doobah47,
Doobah47 wrote:
I think essentially that the examples of the non-evil you have given do originate in evil.
You think that empathy originates in evil? You think that a mother's nurturing of her child originates in evil?

Doobah47

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 07:38 pm
@dpmartin,
Quote:
I think essentially that the examples of the non-evil you have given do originate in evil, and that they are also a system that protects us from becoming either more evil or the victim of evil, so in any case they are relevant to evil in some way.

Like I said, all primal instincts originate in evil in some way or other. I doubt that evil is always the attractive option for animals, so they have developed systems that allow them to subvert evil, which is probably the difference between animals and less complex life forms.

Aedes

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 08:37 pm
@Doobah47,
Doobah47 wrote:
Like I said, all primal instincts originate in evil in some way or other.
And like I asked, please explain to me how a mother nursing her infant -- which happens throughout mammals and is as primal an instinct as exists -- please explain how this originates in EVIL.

Aristoddler

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 09:38 pm
@dpmartin,
Isn't evil defined as a malevolent action towards another to cause harm?
When a lion hunts, it will always pick the weakest of the herd to attack.
The weakest of the herd will then become food for the lion and her cubs to survive.

I don't see how this is evil.

The lion doesn't kill for pleasure, just to inflict harm or for any selfish purpose.

is your statement perhaps misunderstood by us in some way?

Doobah47

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 11:54 am
@dpmartin,
I disregard the dictionary/religious definition of evil. In my mind evil is a form of existence, one which seeks to consume and procreate.

Like I've said twice already, the mother nursing her child is RESPONDING to evil by protecting said child from the evil represent around it.

Aedes

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 10:26 pm
@dpmartin,
ok... so flowers and mushrooms are evil, then.

do you have a different word that corresponds more closely to how a dictionary might define evil?

prolix

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 03:09 pm
@Aedes,
I can imagine how difficult it was for the Oxford people. Such a poetic and meaningful word, yet evil is one of the least objectively defined words in human language/thought. For good reason to. As subjective as morality is.. can evil, as an objectively defined word, even exist outside of the mind of the individual?

Aedes, flowers or mushrooms very well may be evil. It all depends on the perspective that is depicted in the imagery within an individual mind or a work or art.

This thread is a very simplistic example of how children might learn how to operate as a human being.. But in regards to ethics, rudimentary.

"all primal instincts originate in evil in some way or other."
This statement is ridiculous..

Fido

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 04:17 pm
@prolix,
It is impossible for a universally accepted concept to be subjective. What makes people moral is always the same thing expressed differently, and it is not something different, to say subjective, expressed the same. We all have a different perspective on the same phenomena. It is not subjective, and anything but. It is based, Morality is founded upon, made from, however you wish to express it, on the love a child first feels for his mother. From one person, and from one relationship we learn to think beyond ourselves, to have an expansive moral consciousness, to see ourselves in others, and to recognize our welfare in theirs. We do not wish morality to have a better life for them; but to have a better life for all, and this we cannot have while people have no moral compass pointing always home.

prolix

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 05:12 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
It is impossible for a universally accepted concept to be subjective. What makes people moral is always the same thing expressed differently, and it is not something different, to say subjective, expressed the same. We all have a different perspective on the same phenomena. It is not subjective, and anything but. It is based, Morality is founded upon, made from, however you wish to express it, on the love a child first feels for his mother. From one person, and from one relationship we learn to think beyond ourselves, to have an expansive moral consciousness, to see ourselves in others, and to recognize our welfare in theirs. We do not wish morality to have a better life for them; but to have a better life for all, and this we cannot have while people have no moral compass pointing always home.

I disagree. Just because humanity shares a very similar moral framework, does not mean that the universally accepted (seemingly universally accepted) moral concepts within each individual cannot be subjective.

I believe that you share my opinion on this issue, and that this argument is coming out of our differing understanding of essentially the same principle.

Fido

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 06:18 pm
@prolix,
prolix wrote:
I disagree. Just because humanity shares a very similar moral framework, does not mean that the universally accepted (seemingly universally accepted) moral concepts within each individual cannot be subjective.

I believe that you share my opinion on this issue, and that this argument is coming out of our differing understanding of essentially the same principle.

You know; I don't think we have moral frameworks, or moral systems or any of that claptrap. We have morality as a concept, and law as a construct; and each of these are forms of relationship. But it is only people who can be moral, more moral or less moral. Each does according to his feelings of what is right, and what is moral. And well meaning people try to construct forms like law, or government, or religion to help achieve good and ward off evil. Laws are only as good as they are moral. Governments are only as good as they are moral. We build forms to produce a certain condition, but if the forms are not motivated by morality, immorality is produced.

When you look at certain behaviors of human kind having the purpose of giving people meaning and ensuring their survival, their experience of the behavior can hardly be called subjective. We all age, and all know age. Is the experience subjective? We all know life, and for the living, life appears phenomenal, and yet for all, life is all, all they will have of meaning, and all they will ever have of conscious reality, so is it really subjective; or is it the most objective of realities, our common quality, -time?

So forms, for which I presume a moral purpose, are universal, like life itself, and so, is very objective. To make it difficult: All forms are the same, and all of humanity relates through its forms. But all relationships are different, so we can share a form with all of humanity, but have every relationship within the forms of necessity, different, unique, and experienced subjectively by all.

dancinginchains

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 12:17 am
@prolix,
prolix wrote:

Truthfully anything can be subjective with regard to morals in the sense that any of us can make a (sometimes seemingly) immoral choice without being stopped or contained by someone else. For instance I can make the choice to stab someone repeatedly with a cleaver and kill them without being held back by someone else. Morality is not universally objective, but only in context of choice to carry out an immoral act.

Now yes I will say there are some moral issues like abortion and same sex marriage which are completely subjective. But it's because there's nothing about them that's as clear cut.

On the other hand, what makes murder and rape so immoral is that the person who commits those acts is taking advantage of their victim's vulnurability and are basically taking their victim's fate into their own hands. To follow through with such an act does require a sort of sadistic mentality, someone who gets their psychological jollies off of having control over someone else. This is especially true with rape.

This is why something like say murder is inherently immoral and has been throughout virtually all walks of history and all cultures. Morality is just like anything else in life: some things are universally objective like murder and rape, somethings are subjective like abortion and same sex marriage. To generalize by saying morality is all objective or all subjective is logically and practically incorrect.

prolix

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 01:22 am
@dancinginchains,
dancinginchains wrote:
Truthfully anything can be subjective with regard to morals in the sense that any of us can make a (sometimes seemingly) immoral choice without being stopped or contained by someone else. For instance I can make the choice to stab someone repeatedly with a cleaver and kill them without being held back by someone else. Morality is not universally objective, but only in context of choice to carry out an immoral act.

Now yes I will say there are some moral issues like abortion and same sex marriage which are completely subjective. But it's because there's nothing about them that's as clear cut.

On the other hand, what makes murder and rape so immoral is that the person who commits those acts is taking advantage of their victim's vulnurability and are basically taking their victim's fate into their own hands. To follow through with such an act does require a sort of sadistic mentality, someone who gets their psychological jollies off of having control over someone else. This is especially true with rape.

This is why something like say murder is inherently immoral and has been throughout virtually all walks of history and all cultures. Morality is just like anything else in life: some things are universally objective like murder and rape, somethings are subjective like abortion and same sex marriage. To generalize by saying morality is all objective or all subjective is logically and practically incorrect.

I do not believe some morals are objective. Murder is not inherently immoral. Murder is a social concept, and as such, is still a learned moral principle. I believe all morals are subjective.

prolix

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 01:29 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
You know; I don't think we have moral frameworks, or moral systems or any of that claptrap. We have morality as a concept, and law as a construct; and each of these are forms of relationship. But it is only people who can be moral, more moral or less moral. Each does according to his feelings of what is right, and what is moral. And well meaning people try to construct forms like law, or government, or religion to help achieve good and ward off evil. Laws are only as good as they are moral. Governments are only as good as they are moral. We build forms to produce a certain condition, but if the forms are not motivated by morality, immorality is produced.

When you look at certain behaviors of human kind having the purpose of giving people meaning and ensuring their survival, their experience of the behavior can hardly be called subjective. We all age, and all know age. Is the experience subjective? We all know life, and for the living, life appears phenomenal, and yet for all, life is all, all they will have of meaning, and all they will ever have of conscious reality, so is it really subjective; or is it the most objective of realities, our common quality, -time?

So forms, for which I presume a moral purpose, are universal, like life itself, and so, is very objective. To make it difficult: All forms are the same, and all of humanity relates through its forms. But all relationships are different, so we can share a form with all of humanity, but have every relationship within the forms of necessity, different, unique, and experienced subjectively by all.

I believe your second paragraph is the epitome of subjectiveness. I do like the way you think though.

However, I believe this following statement that you made is a false dichotomy.
"We build forms to produce a certain condition, but if the forms are not motivated by morality, immorality is produced."

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » foundation of ethics?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 03:53:10