If we create reality, are we responsible?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » If we create reality, are we responsible?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Tainted

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 07:46 am
If you subscribe to the idea that we create our own reality, then how far does our responsibility for that reality stretch?

krazy kaju

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 11:27 am
@Tainted,
Examples please?

ogden

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 07:26 pm
@Tainted,
Tainted wrote:
If you subscribe to the idea that we create our own reality, then how far does our responsibility for that reality stretch?

Hi Tainted. I've read your posts in other threads so I suspect this is a loaded question and your looking for a sucker to take the bait:). I've seen this slippery slope before and it leads to subjective reality Vs objective positivism.

Some say it is imposible to observe an object without it becoming tainted with subjectivity. Dogmatic empericism is somewhat impractical, but the other swing of the pendulum brings phenominological idealism ,which has its own impracticalities. Some clasically trained forum members like Boagie or Nameless could answer your question better than I, but in response to how much responsibility we have in reality, it all depends on what you bring to the party. By that I mean that the observation and the interpretation of it are never truly pure but always a "best/most reasonable theory. There has been some work done to reduce subjectivity in scientific prosess (Isreal Sheffler's Science and Subjectivity)

It seems far fetched to think that by observing light, for instance, that you are responsible for creating the light, however, your conceptualization of what light is, and the eyes you see it with (among other things) determin what it is to you. How much of your concept is from emperical observation and how much is from what someone told you? What if you where told miss information? While we cant go around falsifying everything for ourselves (impractical), it is good to always question what you know and how you know it, constantly updating your reality and being willing to abandon what your former knowledge.

It is everyones responsability to form a reasonable/practical reality. So we are not really responsible for the thing, but for the interpretation of it.

Fido

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 09:18 pm
@Tainted,
Tainted wrote:

It stretches to the full extent of the law. Trust me on this: If you die before the law catches you they will seldom dig you up to hang like Cromwell.

I shouldn't make fun of your use of words. The question is a little messed up. We do not create reality, but recreate reality based upon our understanding of truth.

Now, it would be strange if people today thought any more of the people of tomorrow than people passed thought of us, and that is what you mean by stretch, as out in time. But what we do for the moment dies with us while the good we do makes us immortal. Do you think we can condem people of the past for their crimes? They would not take a lesson from it, so why bother. If you want to take a lesson from history that is easy to come by. Open any page. But you have to live to do so. All words that have meaning to us fall away from the dead. Meaning is life, of the living. Lessons are for life, and for the living. And ditto responsibility. The dead know nothing.

Responsibility must have meaning in light knowledge; that people do as they see right. Our responsibility to ourselves, and to our fellow humans is to clean up our messes, and rectify our fellow man. So knowledge is virtue. People can only be as good as they have wisdom to see. If we fail the future like the past has failed us, they owe us honesty, and they should take a lesson from it. If we could only know that serving ourselves was the same as serving the next generation we would know we were on the right path.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » If we create reality, are we responsible?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 11:20:49